Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

How the Victory Launch was used.... Options
Gandale
#1 Posted : 25 August 2017 22:28:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Many of us who have build the Victory or been interested in her history, will be well aware that the one of the main purposes of the launch was in setting and recovering Victory's anchors. What many may not be aware of was how the launch actually achieved this task, so I thought it would be good to post these pics showing how it was achieved. These have been taken from the plans of the Panart Launch I'm presently building.... Hope you find them interesting and informative.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Gandale attached the following image(s):
DSCF3952.JPG
DSCF3953.JPG
DSCF3954.JPG
magpie1832
#2 Posted : 26 August 2017 03:03:54

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Very fascinating Alan, something I didn’t know. So Victory lowered its anchors to below waterline the launch then moved away from the hull so far before dropping it to give a better chance of staying put. Or am I wrong in this.

Chris Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Tomick
#3 Posted : 26 August 2017 08:15:16

Groups:

When a ship was becalmed, mastless, run aground or otherwise unable to move, a ship's boat provided a source of motive power. The ship's anchor and cable would be rowed a distance from the ship before being laid, the crew would then man the ship's capstans to haul the ship forward, known as kedging or warping, this would be repeated as many times as needed.

Sounds like serious hard work to me Blink

Boats stored on deck in tropical climates were usually partially filled with water to prevent the wooden hull planks drying out and shrinking, which would make the boat leak once it was placed in water until the wood swelled up again.

When a warship was going into action her boats were usually towed astern. This freed space on the deck, reduced the possibility of the boats being damaged by gunfire and prevented the boats becoming a major source of dangerous splinters if they were left on deck.
ian smith
#4 Posted : 29 August 2017 13:27:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for sharing the info. Alan and TOM. very interesting.
Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
birdaj2
#5 Posted : 29 August 2017 18:27:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Alan/Tom

Very interesting snippets of history.

Never every heard that they watered the ships boats to stop the wood drying out but when you think about it well it makes perfect sense.

Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Padlingwell
#6 Posted : 03 April 2019 10:12:12

Bringing up an old thread... I'm currently building this one, but I'm perplexed by the stern gantry. I'm really not clear on how it was used. Is it simply a fixed arrangement to clear the transom, or do any of the bits move (like a davit) to lift the anchor with leverage?
If its purpose is to provide leverage, which of the contact points are glued/fixed? Do any of them slide fore and aft? It seems overly-complex to be just a fixed arrangement, so can someone explain exactly how it operates, and just as importantly, how it interacts with the rudder, as it appears to stop the rudder moving?

I also can't see how it was used just to set the anchor, as there is no way to slip the loops off the flukes or the head end the once the anchor is on the seabed (and the reverse is true for weighing anchor). The only purpose for the set-up as shown is kedging, as described.

Many thanks
Plymouth57
#7 Posted : 04 April 2019 15:18:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hello Padlingwell!

I had a look through one of my ref books "Boats of Men of War" which had a single drawing from the 18th cent illustrating the recovery of a Kedge Anchor. It would appear that the stern gantry (called a stern davit) in the book, was simply a means to keep the rope attached to the buoy on the anchor away from the transom whilst the crew hauled it inboard. It does interfere with the tiller but the tiller was only used getting from the ship to the buoy, once there the tiller was unshipped and the davit placed in position in its place.
As for the loop around the fluke - absolutely no idea unless some clever nautical knot was used with a loose end which released the fluke when pulled? Never been any good with knots - a simple knot is the granny knot, complicated knots are more grannies tied on top!Blushing

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Erik A
#8 Posted : 04 April 2019 21:51:19

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

you would be suprised at the knots that they use.
my dad was in the danish navy back when he was young and before he immigrated out here to NZ.
i was talking to him the other day about the Victory im building and he was telling me that when he first joined they were sent out on a square rigged training ship. The Danmark (coincedently also a model you can build). they sailed out until well out at sea then dropped sails and drifted. they stayed this way until all the cadets could name all the rigging and what each rope was used for(took weeks). they also learnt all the knots etc. to this day he knows and uses knots that are simple and have a specific purpose. i think i have a pretty good knot knowledge but i am a rank amateur compared to my dad.
My dad was in the Danish navy in the 1950s so a few years ago lol
Current builds
HMS Victory
Endeavour longboat
Padlingwell
#9 Posted : 05 April 2019 09:01:26

Thanks for the input chaps; very helpful.
I'm going to make the parts for the gantry/davit, but install the tiller for display, and stow the gantry parts aboard. I'll make an educated guess at which parts are permanently installed to accept the gantry elements. It may be that the parts are designed to be exceptionally strong, yet easily manhandled- it's easy to forget that this is no dinghy.