Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Bluenose Build Options
Marcallain
#1 Posted : 05 September 2017 00:19:58

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi to all I am new to this site and would like to start a diary of my Bluenose build.
I am new to model ship building and I am sure that I will have many questions to ask.
I started the build an May 25, 2017 and have completed the hull as well as the deck planking.
Here are a few pictures of the build. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Marcallain attached the following image(s):
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8679.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_86db.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_86e4.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_871a.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_871d.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_871b.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8775.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_8774.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_87c0.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_87c3.jpg
Completed Build: Bluenose

Current build: Pegasus
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 05 September 2017 00:28:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Marc, BigGrin

Looks like you`ve made a good start on this build.

Congrats on your "Blue" medal for starting your build diary.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

daffy09
#3 Posted : 05 September 2017 14:13:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Marcallian
Welcome to the forum and it's nice to see this build here. This is a kit I've looked at more than once and a beautiful example of this period. I shall be following along with your build with great interest.
Happy building
David
tigerace
#4 Posted : 05 September 2017 14:30:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hello Marc welcome to the forumBigGrin to say it`s your first ship build your making it look simpleDrool excellent build so farDrool Cool regards Phil
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Marcallain
#5 Posted : 28 September 2017 18:57:02

Welcome to the Bluenose build. This ship is the famous racing schooner that appears on the Canadian dime. This kit is from Model Shipways and is 1/64 scale. I started the build my first on May 25, 2017 and have so far found the challenge very rewarding. First I laid the keel and made sure all was straight then I cut the rabbit along the bottom of the keel. Next was positioning the bulkheads and made sure that they were perpendicular to the keel and straight. My next task was to sand the bulkheads that required shaping in order to insure that all planks would sit flat on the bulkheads. Following this step I glued and shaped the stern blocks according to the plans. Then the Horn timbers in the stern were completed. Next I installed the Waterway planks, which need to be installed before the fake stanchions. The next challenge was to complete all the stanchions, which I found difficult at the beginning, as I was, not cutting them straight but, with some practice I was able to finish, prime and paint these. It is better to have these stanchions a little longer than too short, which required removal and re cut. The next task was to install the Haws timbers, Knighthead and Cable chafe blocks. Once this was complete I was able to make the main rail for both port and starboard sides. I used a piece of cherry 1/16 thick cut from a piece of cherry veneer. This seemed a better way to complete the main rail as the kit included stock, which would require gluing three pieces together in order to give me enough length to fabricate the rail in one piece except for the stern and the bow pieces. Before gluing the main rail in place I completed the bulwarks as well as the cutting out of the scupper holes. Before installing the main rail I cut out the slots for the chain plates, as they need to be close to the exterior of the hull, this also makes them close to the outer edge of the main rail. Then it was time to permanently install the main rail. Then I planked the section of the stern decking as this portion runs from port to starboard. Following this I planked the stern, and then the hull planking was initiated. This process took some time and can be tedious and a fairly long process about 44 hours. Each plank was treated as a separate task being careful to stagger each plank so that there are three strakes before you start planking on the same bulkhead. You must also insure that you but up to the previous plank as well as alternate from side to side in order to prevent distorting or warping of the hull. I used various clamps, and close pins in order to insure that the strakes were tight to the previous row. I used a syringe filled with lepages wood glue to apply the glue to the planking only occasionally did I use CA glue as I realized that I was allergic to it. I also used pins to hold the strakes to each bulkhead while they dried. In order to keep the glue in the syringe from drying and blocking the flow I took a used pill bottle drilled a hole in the top and filled it with water. By keeping the syringe immersed in this bottle I could leave it there for up to two weeks without it drying out.

The decking was next which was started in the center and I worked from side to side completing the stern first followed by the bow section. In order to imitate caulking between each plank I used a black wax crayon in order to darken both edges. I decided to use full lengths of planking and did not cut or scribe the planking in order to simulate shorter planks, as we are all aware that they did not use planks that were in excess of 60 ft. on the real Bluenose. You will notice that I did nibbling on each plank as it meets the waterway plank. There are several other ways to achieve this look. The next step was to sand the beck and the hull. I did use a little filler on the hull only. I now have over 120 hours logged since the start of the build.

Once the decking completed I started to work on completing the main rail at the stern. Be careful to install the “ Main sheet boom buffer” which is under the stern main rail before you complete the stern main rail. Next came the main rail and the Buffalo rail at the bow. Now it was time to bend and install the Monkey rail at the stern. This can take some time to bend and align the holes for the chain plates, which run through both the Main rail as well as the Monkey rail.

I have been away for a few weeks and now have made some progress on my Bluenose build.
I have now stained and varnished the deck, with a mat water base varnish, completed the main rail as well as the monkey and the buffalo rails, drilled and installed the hawse pipe trim pieces at the bow.
I have also installed the mooring chocks at the stern. I drilled the holes and then covered them with a small piece of brass, in order to have them stand out. I have made several attempts at making chain plates.
My next project will be to install the fashion pieces at the stern. Following this I will prime the hull...
IMG_1943.jpg
IMG_1944.jpg
IMG_1945.jpg
IMG_1946.jpg
IMG_1947.jpg
IMG_1948.jpg
IMG_1949.jpg
IMG_1950.jpg
IMG_1951.jpg
IMG_1952.jpg
IMG_1954.jpg
IMG_1955.jpg
IMG_1956.jpg
IMG_1957.jpg

Gandale
#6 Posted : 28 September 2017 20:18:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

You look to be making very nice progress on this, looking good....Cool Cool .. Look forward to seeing your next update.... Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#7 Posted : 28 September 2017 20:37:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Superb work on the decking lovely work Cool

Rgd Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
daffy09
#8 Posted : 28 September 2017 21:12:34

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Beautiful work on the deck. Look forward to your next update
Happy building
David
Sticky Wickett
#9 Posted : 28 September 2017 21:31:42

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very neat and accurate work. Great skills.

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
arpurchase
#10 Posted : 28 September 2017 22:00:28

BigGrin Looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

delboy271155
#11 Posted : 28 September 2017 23:23:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Wow Love that`s neat.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Marcallain
#12 Posted : 29 September 2017 01:27:20

Pictures of the Bluenose in primer...
IMG_1958.jpg
IMG_1959.jpg

daffy09
#13 Posted : 29 September 2017 12:03:00

Primer went on well, lovely and smooth, well done
Happy building
David
Marcallain
#14 Posted : 30 September 2017 01:31:42

Thank you David...

z8000783
#15 Posted : 30 September 2017 08:28:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Great work Marc.
Marcallain
#16 Posted : 01 October 2017 13:23:11

Hull painted black, with Tamiya TS-14 Black
IMG_1960.jpg
IMG_1961.jpg
IMG_1962.jpg

Marcallain
#17 Posted : 01 October 2017 15:08:16

Measuring the water Line. I levelled the hull and added some weight in order to allow me to exert a little pressure while drawing the water line. Included is a picture of my home made measuring tool.
IMG_1964.jpg
IMG_1966.jpg

Marcallain
#18 Posted : 01 October 2017 15:20:46

The hull of my Bluenose is now painted. I used Tamiya TS-33 (Dull Red) on the lower portion.
IMG_1968.jpg
IMG_1969.jpg
IMG_1970.jpg

daffy09
#19 Posted : 01 October 2017 16:08:51

Lovely paint job Marc, super smooth. I like your homemade waterline marker, well done
Happy building
David
davetwin
#20 Posted : 01 October 2017 18:34:34

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The paint job really shows the care and love you put into the hull planking, great result Cool