Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages <123>
Bluenose Build Options
Gandale
#21 Posted : 01 October 2017 22:31:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely finish to the hull, looks fab.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Marcallain
#22 Posted : 01 October 2017 23:11:07

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I tried my hand at making some of the chain plates...Confused
Marcallain attached the following image(s):
IMG_1967.jpg
Completed Build: Bluenose

Current build: Pegasus
Marcallain
#23 Posted : 01 October 2017 23:18:26

I managed to complete the main rail and monkey rails painted. I used Krylon Color master paint and primer white mat finish. It went on well and was dry in 10 minutes. my next task will be to install the white trim line as well as the yellow stripe. I am planing to use a gold stripe instead of the yellow. I think it is a little more subdued than bright yellow.
That won't be the proper colour but hope it will look ok. Thanks for looking in...
IMG_1972.jpg
IMG_1973.jpg
IMG_1975.jpg
IMG_1974.jpg

daffy09
#24 Posted : 01 October 2017 23:51:21

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Marc
You're really moving on with her now. Great paint job. I think the gold stripe will work very well.
Happy building
David
Marcallain
#25 Posted : 04 October 2017 13:27:43

As I explained earlier I decided to use the gold stripe instead of the yellow.
I have also been working on the display stand, it is still in the rough stages.
It needs sanding, stain and finish.
As you can see on the bottom right corner I have a Canadian dime imbedded,
with the Bluenose on it.
IMG_1979.jpg
IMG_1977.jpg
IMG_1980.jpg
IMG_1981.jpg

daffy09
#26 Posted : 04 October 2017 15:36:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice work. That gold stripe definitely works
Happy building
David
Gandale
#27 Posted : 04 October 2017 18:52:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Lovely work, she's coming along beautifully.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Marcallain
#28 Posted : 10 September 2018 17:31:57

For those of you who have been monitoring my Bluenose build I realize that I have not posted in a while. I spent the winter away and hade made no progress since my last post in October. I have been working on the Bluenose again since early July and have been making some progress. I realize now how challenging some tasks can be. I am still enjoying the process and look forward to posting an update and some pictures soon, sorry for the delay…

Marcallain
#29 Posted : 10 September 2018 20:03:25

Here is the latest update on the Bluenose build. In early July I managed to get back at my Bluenose build starting with work on the deck furniture. I used a combination of cherry and walnut and started with the main companionway trying to get to scale as well as appealing with the different woods. On some pieces it took me several tries in order to get it done. Starting with the companionway door and hatch. I tried installing door panels, door hinges and door handles. This took me some time, as the pieces are small. The next step was to create some sort of railing on both sides of the structure along with the compass cover. The skylight was a long process with several attempts. I wanted to install glass and some grating on the skylight. I used the bottom of a clear blue container cut two pieces one for either side with small strips less than 1mm in size I sandwiched the upper and bottom framing and drilled small holes so that they would match and used small brass wire to create the grating. Next were the two hatches and the steering box, which also took several tries, as I wanted to somehow create the paneling on the sides of the steering box. In order to achieve this I used a soldering iron and burned the panel shape on the sides and installed the wheel. As I progressed forward I completed the forward skylight and the front hatch and used small pieces of brass in order to give the look of small handles on the two panels. Next was the construction of the engine hoisting box and chain box and tried to create three hinges.

I found it difficult to build the winch and hoisting mechanism, as the pieces are so small and fragile to handle. Locating and installing a flat chain was also difficult to achieve. Then came the bowsprit and its installation along with the gammon iron, which I made from a piece of flat brass strip and twisted to the shape I needed.
At this stage the deck furniture and fittings where 95% complete. I decided to build and install only two dories on the deck instead of the eight provides. While building the dories I realized that they would look too plain and decided to add some details including planking the sides with overlap boards, oars, lines, small fishing buoys and markers. At this stage it was time to permanently install all the deck furniture and dories.

I was now trying to make two different types of small turnbuckles, one round type and one square type in order to get things ready for completing the bowsprit. I used two small pieces of brass tubing with small brass eyehooks at each end and epoxied them together. As you can see they don’t look too bad. Now to create the other type I used two small strips for the sides, two small pieces of brass tubing and two eyehooks for the ends. I made a small jig in order to solder these parts together.
File Attachment(s):
IMG_0932.jpg (301kb) downloaded 23 time(s).
IMG_0925.jpg (321kb) downloaded 21 time(s).
IMG_0414.jpg (346kb) downloaded 16 time(s).
IMG_0415.jpg (365kb) downloaded 17 time(s).
IMG_0948.jpg (537kb) downloaded 15 time(s).
IMG_0952.jpg (310kb) downloaded 17 time(s).
IMG_0949.jpg (301kb) downloaded 15 time(s).
IMG_0437.jpg
IMG_0438.jpg
IMG_0440.jpg
IMG_0442.jpg
IMG_0443.jpg
IMG_0444.jpg
IMG_0446.jpg
IMG_0421.jpg
IMG_0429.jpg
IMG_0435.jpg
IMG_0413.jpg
IMG_0383.jpg
IMG_0380.jpg
IMG_0384.jpg
IMG_0418.jpg
IMG_0930.jpg

Gandale
#30 Posted : 10 September 2018 22:36:33

Now that does look like a very nice piece of work.. look forward to seeing more of your build.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
z8000783
#31 Posted : 11 September 2018 06:45:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Lovely job, Marc.
jase
#32 Posted : 11 September 2018 06:53:15

This is looking really nice

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Tomick
#33 Posted : 11 September 2018 06:56:48

Groups:

Looks a great build, well done Cool
Markwarren
#34 Posted : 11 September 2018 07:38:24

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking very good.

Mark
arpurchase
#35 Posted : 11 September 2018 07:40:15

BigGrin Nice to see you back on her and nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Garth
#36 Posted : 11 September 2018 09:59:13

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Marc,
I have just been paging through your build. Excellent work - Well done!!!
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
Marcallain
#37 Posted : 11 September 2018 14:17:25

Thank you to all who have commented on the Bluenose build. I should have an update on the completion of the masts in a few days.

delboy271155
#38 Posted : 11 September 2018 19:43:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

WTG, BigGrin

That`s looking amazing with the deck furniture going into place.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

CaptnBirdseye
#39 Posted : 11 September 2018 20:02:48

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

What a great build Marc, following with interest ThumpUp
Marcallain
#40 Posted : 13 October 2018 01:05:28

Update two October 12, 2018
Here is another update on my Bluenose build. In my last post I explained how I managed to make my two different types of turnbuckles. In the pictures you can see the small simple jig I used in order to solder the pieces together. I have made some changes to the winch box by completing the hinges and by using a mat finish in order to appear more realistic. It was time to mount the anchors and catheads. After looking at the Britannia fittings, I realized that I would need to create my own version, something a little stronger, as the ones included were not only flimsy but also useless. In completing this I used some 19 gauge black wire, soldered some brass strips one on either side in order to create the top portion with the ability to drill holes in order to mount the chain and the line through a sheave at the top of the catheads. On the port side I ran the anchor chain up through the hawse pipe and around the winch. On the starboard side I ran a line instead of a chain through the hawse pipe simulating a spare anchor. I completed the winch gear cover by bending a piece of brass and soldering a small extension in order to attach it to the side of the Samson post.

My next step was to construct the main mast followed by the fore mast. I started with the main mast, as it looked simpler. I cut the bottom and the top portions and installed the trestletree and spreaders. As for the bands, I used brass tubing and cut them at 2.6mm I drilled and installed eyebolts as needed. All other fittings on the mast were made from brass rod and soldered in order to create fittings like the gooseneck, bails and mast cap. I made another small jig in order to solder the mast cap together. I used two different sizes of brass tubing and joined them together with solder. If I had to do this over, I would have installed an outer border in order to make it more substantial. I managed to add a small recessed brass ring around the pin saddle by cutting a larger ring. It would have been too small if I had used the two-laser cut half’s included. This allowed more room for the belaying pins and the brass ring. Instead of creating a mast coat I used brass mast steps in order to finish the base of the mast. I tried several attempts at making the mast trucks, which is a small base for the gilt ball at the top of the mast. I tried shaping a piece of dowel, which didn’t work as it would split. Next was using a hole punch and some thin plywood and left over basswood from the kit. This also split when I tried to file it to size. What did work was the punch method by using 1/16 cherry as this allowed me to shape it and drill the holes for the halyards. A small pin with a white head w]as installed for the Gilt Ball. Completing the fore mast was a little more challenging, as there were many more fittings and moving parts made from brass rod.

As you can see, I decided to build a small round hopper described in the plans as an unidentified object. Using a piece of brass tubing and a leftover base from the laser cut mast hoops. I made some small buoys and just inserted them in the hopper just to add a bit of fishing gear.
My next task was building the booms. The plans called for a 1/8-inch dowel for the fore gaff, Jumbo Jib boom, and the fore boom, I found this too small and decided to use a 5/32-inch dowel instead. This was much easier to work with and much stronger. I used a 3/16 dowel for the main gaff instead of the 5/32. The main boom is 15/64 supplied with the kit. As for the stain, I used a combination of stains on all the masts as well as on the booms. Stains included Colonial American Minwax, # 230 and Golden Oak Minwax #210B. This allowed me to achieve the color I wanted. These pieces were finished with three coats of gloss varnish then burnished with paper towel. The plans showed two sheaves inserted inside and towards the end of the main boom. I could have just used a small hole with a small piece of brass in order to create the illusion of these sheaves. I considered the possibility of actually making a couple of sheaves. I started out by cutting out 2 rectangular openings in the dowel. Following this I used two small rivets by first removing the nail and then cutting off the shaft. Now I had two saucer shaped pieces that I soldered together. Next I drilled out the center in order to insert a 3/32 OD brass tube, this allowed me to insert another 3/64 OD brass tube inside the first one in order to accept a piece of .032 brass rod as a shaft. In order to finish the area around the two sheaves, I used some thin mahogany left over from the material used to make the two dories.

Well that is it for now I am in the process of making an acrylic case in order to protect the model once I start the rigging. I will be away for several months so stay tuned for the next update on my Bluenose build. Thank you for your comments together with your interest and hope you enjoyed the diary.
IMG_1148.jpg