Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

How to add photos Options
admin
#1 Posted : 01 April 2010 12:34:42

Groups: Administrator, Administrators, Forum Support Team, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

The easiest way is to add photos into your posts is to do it directly from your own PC/Laptop image files or via mobile phone.

Just click the "Attach Files to this Post?" box under the input section of your post when writing it. You will be asked to browse/select to your picture.

Another way is to use a file share site.

Be mindful that a free photo/file-share site may eventually charge a fee, which if chosen not to pay, all of your shared photos will vanish from where ever posted on the WWW.

For iPad or MacBook users

1. Use the IMG link.

2. Remove the first section starting with [URL........ Ending with jpg.html] (only keep the section starting with [IMG : ....... and ends with the .jpg[/IMG section).

3. Remove the [/URL] from the end.

Admin
Gandale
#2 Posted : 14 October 2013 22:35:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

I have seen many requests especially from new members, asking for guidance on how to post pictures. I thought I would try and put together a small guide on what I find is the easiest way to achieve this. This is assuming individual is posting from a laptop/PC/tablet and not from a mobile phone.

First thing to do is take your pictures and locate them in their folder.

Gandale attached the following image(s):
S1.JPG
Gandale
#3 Posted : 14 October 2013 22:36:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Using your mouse, right click on the photo you wish to upload and select the 'Edit' function..

SC2.JPG
Gandale
#4 Posted : 14 October 2013 22:40:58

Your picture will should then open in your picture editor..

SC3.JPG
Gandale
#5 Posted : 14 October 2013 22:43:42

Select the resize option near the top left of the screen.. You will then be presented with a resizing window..

SC5.JPG
Gandale
#6 Posted : 14 October 2013 22:45:25

Select the pixels option and change the horizontal figure to 600, the vertical figure will change automatically.. Click 'OK]..

SC6.JPG
Gandale
#7 Posted : 14 October 2013 22:49:37

Create your post as normal then click on the 'Attach files to the post?' option.

Click on 'Post'. You will be presented with the option to browse to your resized picture..

Click on 'Browse' and select your picture.. Finally click on upload and when complete click on 'Back'..

Job done..
SC7.JPG
sc8.JPG
Gandale
#8 Posted : 14 October 2013 22:50:39

Hope some members will find this small guide useful, if there are any area's that you feel I need to explain further then please let me know...

Regards

Alan
Dennis
#9 Posted : 16 October 2013 15:52:15

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi Gandale,
Having just solved the process of including images that can be seen in the postings I thought I would add a few thoughts.
Although I am heavily into digital imaging I am normally working on large files (up to 55mb) and try as I might with my D51 build diary postings, the images kept appearing as download files.
I must admit I had not viewed your entry at that stage.
Helped by both Karl and Tomick I started to experiment.
Jpeg files are compressed files. The file size depends not only on the resolution but the level of compression. The compression can be altered using software often using a sliding scale of 1 - 12. 12 being minimum compression and 1 maximum.
Mobile phones and cameras save the image files using various levels of compression in order to be able to store more images on the given storage drive or card. Obviously this is a selling factor. However too much compression means poor quality when viewed. Its probable that some devices already compress sufficient for postings.
Resolution is not the only factor therefore but file size and hence compression, as to whether the image will post or be a download.
I have used a resolution of 800 x 600. However on the sliding compression scale by experiment I have used 8.
The file sizes which the posting has accepted are in region of 140kbs. Windows can easily confirm the file size.
In the end the process is so simple providing the limiting factors are known.
cheers
Dennis
Gandale
#10 Posted : 16 October 2013 23:38:42

Dennis wrote:
Hi Gandale,
Having just solved the process of including images that can be seen in the postings I thought I would add a few thoughts.
Although I am heavily into digital imaging I am normally working on large files (up to 55mb) and try as I might with my D51 build diary postings, the images kept appearing as download files.
I must admit I had not viewed your entry at that stage.
Helped by both Karl and Tomick I started to experiment.
Jpeg files are compressed files. The file size depends not only on the resolution but the level of compression. The compression can be altered using software often using a sliding scale of 1 - 12. 12 being minimum compression and 1 maximum.
Mobile phones and cameras save the image files using various levels of compression in order to be able to store more images on the given storage drive or card. Obviously this is a selling factor. However too much compression means poor quality when viewed. Its probable that some devices already compress sufficient for postings.
Resolution is not the only factor therefore but file size and hence compression, as to whether the image will post or be a download.
I have used a resolution of 800 x 600. However on the sliding compression scale by experiment I have used 8.
The file sizes which the posting has accepted are in region of 140kbs. Windows can easily confirm the file size.
In the end the process is so simple providing the limiting factors are known.
cheers
Dennis

Hi Dennis and thank you very much for responding.... Agree with you totally in relation to resolution and compression but my initial thoughts when putting this simple guide together was to keep it basic and simple as it most cases it will work if posting from a PC rather than a mobile or tablet.... The pixel guide of 600 wide for me gives me file size of around 114kb and yes it can be adjusted, the 600 was meant as a guide only.... maybe I should have added that file size should be no larger than 140.... At least this thread give members the opportunity to respond and add new methods or ideas which I'm sure will help new members in the future....

Thanks again and best regards

Alan
kenjara
#11 Posted : 29 June 2016 12:40:15

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I just want to add something to this thread as it does not mention the way I add my photos.

I upload all of my photos in full resolution and instead of making a copy and resizing it I specify the size I want it to be when adding it to the forum.

This is a link to the image I have embedded.

If you click the link you can see that it is full size.

Now I can add the same photo to a post on the forum at the width of 600 just by adding some text to the end of the link within the img tags.

What you need to do is post the link to your photo as described above within the img tags then after the end of the link (before [/img]) add

?w=600

The link between the img tags now looks like this

https://kenjaraskits.fil...160627_202556.jpg?w=600

This will resize your photo as its displayed to a width of 600. The height will be scaled automatically.

Breaking this down the ? means you are adding additional parameters, w stands for width and 600 is the width you want the image to be.

As you can see this is exactly the same image but resized using the code added to the end of the link.

I do this all the time so that I only need to keep one high resolution copy of each photo on my website.

Shane
Finished 3D Printer, RB7, Hummer, Skyrider drone & Combat tank collection

http://www.model-space.com/gb/
darbyvet
#12 Posted : 04 September 2017 05:05:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Are you using the image selector in the bar above the posting box? The way to add pictures is to click on attach files to the post below the text box and then click on post and you will go to a screen where you can upload your pictures.

If you resize you pictures yo 640 by 480 they will appear in the post ,otherwise they will appear as a link to download

Carl

Gandale
#13 Posted : 12 December 2017 10:22:05

Those who wish to re-size their pics using a MAC may find this information useful...

Resizing on a mac

Regards

Alan