Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Things to watch out for Options
Broxy
#1 Posted : 26 May 2011 16:37:37

Groups: Registered, registriert

I'm going to start a build diary soon but in the meantime I though I'd start a thread where things to watch out for can be posted:

1) Don't use their screwdriver!, I'm glad they gave me a spare screw for attaching the two halves of the nose as I stripped the top of the front screw, it was too tight a fit and metal of screw is very soft.

I only just managed to get the ruined one out and used the spare they supplied to replace it. I had a similar problem screwing wing end plates in as I had to work screws in and out in order to get tight enough.
Warthog
#2 Posted : 26 May 2011 18:38:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

Hi Broxy and welcome to the forum ThumpUp

Some good points made and although other members have stated the fact that it is difficult to get the screws in first time, I think this is a good thread to have rather than trawling around trying to find "tips" and "do's and dont's"

I have used one of the same methods that you have tried and that is gently tightning the screw in and out so as to "tap" the hole first.

My tip of the build so far is to wear cotton mits or something to avoid any grease from your hands removing the silver paintwork.. either that or a good soapy wash of them first helps.

Spence
saintsman123
#3 Posted : 26 May 2011 19:20:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I'm glad someone else would like a hint and tips topic, I've been moaning about this for one on Victory, but nothing seems to happen. Once you get further on on the Mclaren build it will be the same as Victory.........Loads of great information, but scattered all over the place and because of this the same questions will get asked time and time again. Then the poor person asking the question will be made to feel small or ignored entirely because everyone is fed up answering the same questions time and again, especially if they subscribe later than everyone else, or they may have been saving up the magazines to start at a time that suits them.

If a topic like this is set up it needs to be clutter free otherwise it will just become another thread that people change topic on and end up as a white elephant. Perhaps ideas could be posted and checked over then put into this hints thread by the forum administrator only.
Come on you Jimmies
Glennboy
#4 Posted : 26 May 2011 21:47:08

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

The tip that I would reccomend is that you buy a decent of 00 and 01 Philips head screwdrivers.

The one supplied is not very good, although in issue 8 they supply a screwdriver handle to use, but I would still get a decent set.
matlow
#5 Posted : 27 May 2011 20:20:22

hi the tip i have is a tiny bit of washing up liquid on the screw helps
Skiddy
#6 Posted : 28 May 2011 21:27:31

My tip is.....wait for everyone else to solve the problem before you have to ! BigGrin
Austin
#7 Posted : 28 May 2011 22:38:26

Groups:

To be honest a decent screwdriver is the way to go, I bought a new one and I don't have any problems screwing the screws in, no need for washing up liquid or oil. Better grip does the job.
dvb247
#8 Posted : 14 August 2011 11:35:27

this thread should remain at the top of the 1st page on this forum, not 5 pages back, makes sense to have a thread like this as stated above imho!
bigmal0
#9 Posted : 08 September 2011 20:50:49

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

A lot of you guys seem to be of the same opinion, a decent screwdriver does make a lot of difference. Another idea is to magnetise a screwdriver so that picking up is so much easier plus it keeps the tip in the screw head.

I havent seen any mention of adhesive for this kit so heres my idea. I have used two main adhesives in my model building the first is Plastic weld (DM) and second Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) they both have a place when gluing plastic. The method of use for those who are not sure is to put the two halves together and then using a fine brush apply the adhesive to the joint. You will get a strong join and the adhesive is very thin and will work by capillary action so no chance of smudging the surface as you can using Polyweld etc.

Both adhesives can be obtained cheaply on Ebay.

Skiddy
#10 Posted : 08 September 2011 21:44:50

bigmal0 wrote:
A lot of you guys seem to be of the same opinion, a decent screwdriver does make a lot of difference. Another idea is to magnetise a screwdriver so that picking up is so much easier plus it keeps the tip in the screw head.

I havent seen any mention of adhesive for this kit so heres my idea. I have used two main adhesives in my model building the first is Plastic weld (DM) and second Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) they both have a place when gluing plastic. The method of use for those who are not sure is to put the two halves together and then using a fine brush apply the adhesive to the joint. You will get a strong join and the adhesive is very thin and will work by capillary action so no chance of smudging the surface as you can using Polyweld etc.

Both adhesives can be obtained cheaply on Ebay.

You will remove the paint if you use your method.
Warthog
#11 Posted : 08 September 2011 21:44:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: registriert, Registered

dvb247 wrote:
this thread should remain at the top of the 1st page on this forum, not 5 pages back, makes sense to have a thread like this as stated above imho!

maybe Admin can make a sticky for this and some other top threads etc...