Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Coser's 1:8 Dalek Construction Thread Options
Coser
#1 Posted : 02 October 2017 19:25:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

OK, here we go.

This is a thread dedicated to the construction of the "Comet Miniatures" 1:8 scale injection moulded Dalek kit.

I have started a number of these over the years, mainly getting the base skirt done and then having a problem and moving on to something else - but having a blog to keep updated should spur me on past that.

First thing once you have got the kit is the research. If you are a fan of the classic "Doctor Who", this can be quite a pleasure. There are a number of sites out there dedicated to following the props throughout their lives, this will help to add extra detail and authenticity to your build. There are a couple that I especially recommend.

Dalek 63.88 is a wonderful first step for anyone wanting to start one of these kits.

Dalek 6388

The 6388 is a reference to the fact that the Daleks were first seen in "Doctor Who" in 1963 and last seen - in the classic series at least - in 1988. The site itself has been updated since then, and does include New Series Daleks (NSD's)and New Paradigm Daleks (NPD's).

They have a good look at the designs and colour schemes of the various props, including that in the second TV adventure for the Daleks, one of the props got a re-paint during the filming which resulted in a Dalek with alternate black and silver skirt panels in one episode as it went from silver to black.

The Mind Robber is another site well worth the visit, and can be found here.

Next post shortly.
Current Builds
Eaglemoss: Ecto-1, BTTF Delorean [Installing Mods]
Hachette: T800 Endoskeleton
Agora Models Shelby Cobra 427 [Plate 031]
BanDai 1:5000 Imperial Star Destroyer
AMT 1991 U.S.S. Enterprise Bridge [Installing Mods & Lights]

Finished Builds
Deagostini: R2-D2 [Never getting batteries]
Coser
#2 Posted : 02 October 2017 19:54:07

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

With the research out of the way, the build can begin.

As I am already building a number of the Black Daleks, members of the Supreme Council of Daleks and known individually as the Supreme Daleks, I will be building this as one of that number.

I have already started the versions from The William Hartnell story that saw the return of the Daleks for the first time - "Dalek Invasion of Earth" (1964) - and the Peter Davison story "Resurrection of the Daleks" from 1984, this will be a film version of a Dalek.

From the Peter Cushing movie "Doctor Who and the Daleks", this edition of the supreme has the larger movie style base in gold, the skirt panels are black, but the hemispheres are unusual in that they alternate between gold and silver. Shoulder section is black, with gold bands, gold 'arms' in silver sockets, and was fited with the 'sink plunger' arm rather than the 'claw' which is more commonly seen on movie props. the neck bin is black, as is usual on all Daleks, but the rings are also unusual in that they are NOT all the same colour. To 'match' the skirt hemi's, the neck rings are gold/silver/gold. The dome is black with the normal shape for a movie dalek, but the eye 'stalk' is gold rather than the normal silver.

Now a note on legality. I have known Tony James for many years. So when I started this poject, I was able to get his permission to cast clear versions of the 'ear' lights in his kits - but only for my own use. You will see me use them in this thread, but I will not reply to any requests to produce them for anyone else.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Coser
#3 Posted : 02 October 2017 20:10:59

So, onto the unboxing. This is one I bought from EBay, arrived exactly as described by the seller. The description included a picture of the damage he said there was with the model. This is a 'short-shot' moulding, but the parts that had not formed properly were part of the gun, and I was going to replace them anyway, so I wasn't worried.

The box alongside my Liberator kit.

The contents

Damaged frame. (No idea why it looks gold in this shot, it's silver.

Closer look at the damage

and the skirt frame - another looks gold shot, but it's silver.

Some of the bits
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Coser
#4 Posted : 02 October 2017 20:37:27

The thing of note in the last picture is the plastic pieces that look like wire fencing. This was only supplied with earlier versions of the kits, later versions just had a piece of netting which you had to use a supplied template to cut to the correct shape. This was made harder by the fact that the template, which was just drawn on a piece of paper, made a shape that was slightly off. If you used it on anything more solid, one set of edges would not have aligned properly.

This is the netting supplied

It's really too flexible, and is hexagonal rather than diamond shaped as the originals were. When I need to, which I won't with this version, I replace the netting with some contour mesh. This is a product normally sold for sculpting, so a sculptor can make a hollow, lightweight, sculpture such as a bust, but a particular type is exactly what we need.

In this build, I will also replace and modify parts of the weapon arm. The parts supplied with the kit are individual rods which would be passable were it not for the fact that they are to be glued to two 'flower-like' pieces. I shal be removing the flat projections on these pieces, drilling small holes and replacing the plastic rods with pieces of fuse wire.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
darbyvet
#5 Posted : 02 October 2017 20:49:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I am so stoked you are building this.It is such an iconic kit and subject.It is a shame there are not more kits of it.I have seen a couple of build diaries.I know one guy had some issues with the plastic the kit was made from reacting with the paint he used.

Carl

Markwarren
#6 Posted : 02 October 2017 20:53:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking forward to your build. Good luck with.

Mark
roymattblack
#7 Posted : 02 October 2017 20:55:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Looking really good.

An observation though...
In one of the last pics, there's a pack of ally mesh that says it's 16" x 20" - cost £10.99.

Is that correct?

I buy the identical mesh from a local hardware store.
It's 24" wide on a roll.
A metre is £4.99

Watching the build with interest though - and the Liberator eventually...?
Coser
#8 Posted : 02 October 2017 21:12:27

Starting The Build

I always start these builds from the base up. This is twofold. Starting from the bottom allows you to add further stages as you build, and gets one of the most tedious parts out of the way.

Tony was unfortunate in that the company moulding these kits must have sped up the moulding process. The design of the skirt panels has a very useful strengthening rib system in the internal surface of these components. However, the moulding company speeding up the cycle time has led to sink marks on the outer surface in these locations.

I used to deal with this problem by repeated application of GW "Chaos Black" followed by Halfods mustard yellow filler primer. Once enough coats have been applied, a light sanding will show how much work is still required. If there is still mustard yellow in the sink areas, the sinks are still there. As the sink mark fills up, there will be a zebra stripe pattern appear as you go through more lavers with the Chaos Black becoming visible.

This shows the start of the process, the black is showing through on some of the panel, but there is an obvious mass of solid yellow in a line down the panel. Many more layers are required at this point. Keep this up and eventually you will end up with panels that will look like this.

These days, I'd possibly swap the filler primer for "Mr Surfacer" to see if that does the job with less coats, but I believe that Mr Surfacer is more expensive. As long as the process is quicker and not too much more expensive, I'd go with it.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Coser
#9 Posted : 02 October 2017 21:18:07

Roy,

Yes, that sounds about right. This was the first one I saw that was the correct size and shape of mesh, and that one pack will do all I need from 7-8 kits and probably more. If I ever need more, at least I can go that route as I will know what to ask for.

P.S.
Liberator will deffinately make an appearance in the future, but I want to get this one finished first.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
darbyvet
#10 Posted : 02 October 2017 21:22:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks good so far. Mr Surfacer is great stuff.Not cheap, but it fills really nicely and doesnt shrink too much as it dries.

Carl

PS If you do the Liberator masterpiece models in USA has a really nice base for that ship.They also have a resin version of the Liberator which is nice.They also just added a lighted engine upgrade for their kit.

tigerace
#11 Posted : 03 October 2017 06:23:07

Great start looking forward to this buildDrool Drool as i built the movie version about 2o years agoCool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

kryten2b
#12 Posted : 04 October 2017 13:41:49

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

OK, stupid question time:

Is it just me, i don't see any pictures in this post & really wanted to see the Dalek progress Confused
Well spin my nipple-nuts & send me to Alaska

Current Builds:
McLaren MP4-23Finished
007's Aston Martin DB5Finished
Millennium Falcon
R2-D2
BTTF Delorean (Maybe)
stevegbr
#13 Posted : 04 October 2017 14:02:40

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

kryten2b wrote:

Is it just me, i don't see any pictures in this post & really wanted to see the Dalek progress Confused

there are photos in number 3 and 4 posts.
kryten2b
#14 Posted : 04 October 2017 14:25:55

stevegbr wrote:
kryten2b wrote:

Where are they hosted, I don’t see any pictures?
I have tried from PC & mobile, both the same result

I see pictures in other posts

Current Builds:
McLaren MP4-23Finished
Millennium Falcon
R2-D2
BTTF Delorean (Maybe)
stevegbr
#15 Posted : 04 October 2017 15:12:48

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

kryten2b wrote:
stevegbr wrote:
kryten2b wrote:

Where are they hosted, I don’t see any pictures?
I have tried from PC & mobile, both the same result

I see pictures in other posts

if the photos are not loading it will say "Coser attached the following" in the post, try refreshing the page.
kryten2b
#16 Posted : 04 October 2017 17:41:14

I have tried different browsers on different devices & same result
I can see small grey blank squares where a picture should be, but no picture no matter how many times I refresh Cursing

Current Builds:
McLaren MP4-23Finished
Millennium Falcon
R2-D2
BTTF Delorean (Maybe)
Coser
#17 Posted : 05 October 2017 09:08:19

Darbyvet,

I will be using the standard CM base as supplied with the kit, unless I make my own, which is a decision I will leave until later as I don't even plan on starting the kit. I also have a copy of the Titan Find resin version alongside their Scorpio, London and Federation Pursuit Ship models.

The plan is to do the Dalek, then possibly the SWD resin kit I got from Tony,then CM Liberator, then the TF Liberator, then follow on with the other TF kits (They are all pretty big, but the London is HUGE!

Kryten2b.

All my images are hosted on Imgur and can be found Here
Current Builds

Finished Builds
Coser
#18 Posted : 05 October 2017 12:59:23

And just to keep the momentum going until I can get a bit more work done on this particular pepperpot, here are some I have had started for quite some time, more for the Supreme Council.

This is the earliest of the Supremes. It's from 1963, the William Hartnell story "Doctor Who and the Daleks", the second story to be filmed and broadcast. As the show was filmed and broadcast in black and white, I had to go online and there I found a picture taken by one of the cast or crew which gave me a colour picture to work from.

It is this that told me the hemispheres were actually blue on this particular variant, and although I have done my best to match the colour, I can make no claim other than I have done my best.

This is a much more recent variant, being from 1984. It's the Peter Davison story "Revelation of the Daleks" Supreme. This is an unusual variant as supremes generally had gold hemishperes and this in has white. It can still be mistaken for the one from the Sylvester McCoy story "Remembrance of the Daleks", a particular favourite story of mine, which had silver on black.
Current Builds

Finished Builds
darbyvet
#19 Posted : 05 October 2017 15:09:27

So many Daleks.Question-Can you have too many Dalek models? Answer. Of course not!!

Do you have a Davros? I found a one to 3d print that looks pretty nice.

Carl

kryten2b
#20 Posted : 05 October 2017 16:00:47

Thanks Coser, That answered the question
For some reason my ISP is blocking imgur under 'content control' even though it is turned off on my router??

I have spoken to them & supposedly it is fixed - we shall see

I have been able to see the images now & looking good so far, look forward to your progress

Current Builds:
McLaren MP4-23Finished
Millennium Falcon
R2-D2
BTTF Delorean (Maybe)