Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Gloss Varnish Options
Bazholding
#1 Posted : 13 October 2017 22:10:19

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I have never completed a plastic model kit before, I made them as a kid but the finish was just a very sloppy coating of the paints that came with them.

I have a few good models stashed up but before I wreck them with sloppy skills I bought a few cheap kits to practice on.

This small snow speeder is my first attempt at painting a model and applying decals so I haven't tried anything fancy. reading through the how too's I have learned I need to spray the model in gloss to give the decals a better surface.

but what I can't find out is should I have the clear parts of the model covered so they don't get gloss on them, have I jumped the gun by removing the masking I put on for painting?

Thanks

Barry

Bazholding attached the following image(s):
IMG_4344.jpg
IMG_4345.jpg
IMG_4346.jpg
Current builds: HMS Victory, hachette black pearl, DC-3, R2-D2, Millennium Falcon
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 14 October 2017 09:22:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

You will need to cover the glass areas, as they will become frosted with the varnish. You have done an excellent job so far, I would probably go for a matt varnish or a satin varnish as gloss will be too shiny for the model unless you intend to dull it down afterwards.

Mark
Bazholding
#3 Posted : 14 October 2017 10:01:15

Thanks Mark

Going off all the different things I have read I was intending too spray with gloss to add the decals and then spray with a Matt or satin afterwards
Current builds: HMS Victory, hachette black pearl, DC-3, R2-D2, Millennium Falcon
ModelMania
#4 Posted : 14 October 2017 10:11:00

Groups:

Hello Barry,

Normal sequence of events in painting a model with clear parts would be:

1 - Build the model to pre-painting stage including attaching the clear parts.

2 - Clear coat the clear parts using a good quality gloss varnish. Tamiya X-22 is a good one and dries hard. I also use what was once known as 'Johnsons Klear' which was a liquid floor polish, now remarketed as 'Pledge' liquid floor polish.

3 - Once the clearcoat is properly dried, mask off the parts that you want to leave clear. If you want to show the interior colour of the cockpit framing, for example a dark grey or cockpit interior green, spray that colour over the outside of the frames and allow to dry.

4 - Then spray the main external colours over the frames and the rest of the model and allow to dry. You will still be able to see the interior frame colours inside the cockpit when looking through the windows if you chose to take that route.

5 - Gloss varnish the whole of the model and allow to dry.

6 - Apply the decals.

7 - If you intend to use any kind of dark 'wash' to highlight any details and panel lines, then you first need to apply another thin layer of gloss varnish over the whole model to cover and seal the decals, apply your chosen wash and then finish with whatever final coat you want. If you aren't using a detail/line wash then you can just cover the decals in whatever varnish you want to represent the final finish with, be it matt, satin or gloss then leave to dry and you're finished?

**NOTE** - When using a wash, if your main layers of paint are acrylic, use an oil or enamel wash or if your main layers are oil/enamel then you need to seal them first with a gloss acrylic varnish otherwise if you don't, the solvents in your oil wash will affect the oil/enamel paint layers you are washing over and make a bit of a mess of it! If you alternate layers of paint/varnish between acrylic and enamel they won't have any affect on each other, acrylic won't affect acrylic provided the previous layer is fully dried, but oil/enamel will definitely affect any oil/enamel under layers EVEN if they are already dried. Also don't apply thin layers of acrylic over thicker layers of oil/enamel unless they are fully cured other wise you may end up with cracking/crazing of the paint. Thick oil/enamel paint over thin acrylic will be fine. The golden rule with most paints when layering is "Fat over thin, NOT thin over fat? It's all to do with differing surface tensions in the layers as the paint dries.

Hope that helps? Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Tomick
#5 Posted : 14 October 2017 11:20:38

Groups:

Also some clear coats slide off clear parts, personally I would no go there unless it was to use Future to improve the clarity.
roymattblack
#6 Posted : 14 October 2017 11:58:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Future - also called Klear, is a domestic liquid polish usually used on flooring.
Yes, sounds strange to use it on models but it's a great all-round sealant and finisher, and dries satin unless you apply heavy or several coats. Then it's a real gloss.

Just brush it on over your decals and when dry, you will hardly know you've applied it. It doesn't leave brush marks as it's thin, and flows beautifully.
Also, it dries in 5-10 minutes.

Great stuff, and blinkin' cheap for the amount you get in a bottle.

Roy.
ModelMania
#7 Posted : 14 October 2017 13:44:15

Groups:

Tomick wrote:
Also some clear coats slide off clear parts, personally I would no go there unless it was to use Future to improve the clarity.

A valid point Tom, as you say, not all clear coats are the same and Johnsons Klear is always better in my opinion. Cool ThumpUp

roymattblack wrote:
... and dries satin unless you apply heavy or several coats. Then it's a real gloss ...

I usually polish the transparency to a good shine first using 'Micro-Mesh' up to 12000 grit then wipe clean and apply just two thin coats of Johnsons Klear by brush, buffing with a lint free cloth after each coat. You are right Roy, it will dry fairly satin if you don't buff it but being a polish it will come up to a good shine and dramatically increases the clarity of the transparency if buffed up properly. As you say Roy, a great product and great value too!

You can see the shine and clarity in the photo below of my Airfix 1:72 Mustang P-51D.

Kev Smile

ModelMania attached the following image(s):
DSCF9621.JPG
Bazholding
#8 Posted : 14 October 2017 21:05:40

thanks for all the help everybody. looks like I need to get the masking tape back out lol
birdaj2
#9 Posted : 14 October 2017 22:29:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Future/Klear - if you are looking for this i think you will find it has changed its name yet again and is now called Pledge Multi-Surface Wax.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach