Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
I took the plunge Options
giant242
#1 Posted : 14 October 2017 09:49:25

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I ordered the Cutty Sark.

In 1973 I built the Revel model 'Cutty Sark'. I had it 99% completed when my children discovered I had left it on the table when I went to work ~ oh well :(
So I bring no skills or expertise to this new endeavor, which I have been hesitant to start, but I wish to prove I can create something of beauty. At this point it's the journey, not the destination.

This doesn't seem to be a very active thread but then I'm just exploring it for the first time. I may post photos but more than likely I'll just plead for help. I hope I may get to know some of you.

Have fun, jess
stevegbr
#2 Posted : 14 October 2017 09:59:11

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

hello and welcome jess, hope you enjoy your build, but we do like photos here to view your progress.
Gandale
#3 Posted : 14 October 2017 10:42:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome aboard Jess, great to have you with us....Cool Cool .. As a beginner to this kind of modelling I would always recommend posting up pics and keeping a diary of your build. This is the best way for experienced members here to be able to assist if needed... Good luck with your new venture....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
tigerace
#4 Posted : 14 October 2017 12:23:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome JessBigGrin hope you enjoy your buildBigGrin you will get all the help and support you need from the members on hereBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Spal
#5 Posted : 14 October 2017 15:20:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum Jess BigGrin you are certainly at the right place for help, we have some great ship builders on here.

Al
darbyvet
#6 Posted : 14 October 2017 15:49:52

Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Hi Jess,
welcome to the forum.I am one of the USA forum team support members so let me know if I can help you in any way.

Good luck with your build.I hope you will consider posting a build diary on the forum.The Cutty Sark is a good choice because the hull is relatively easy to plank. There are tons of really friendly and talented ship modelers on this forum who are very generous with sharing their knowledge and expertise if you have any problems.

Carl
delboy271155
#7 Posted : 14 October 2017 16:48:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Jess,

Welcome to the forum.BigGrin

I used to live near to the Cutty Sark in London, it`s a lovely ship and I wish you well with your build journey.

Happy building

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#8 Posted : 14 October 2017 17:48:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Welcome to the forum and have fun with your buildCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

giant242
#9 Posted : 14 October 2017 17:51:51

Thanx guys, what a great, warm welcome. I'm very pleased to see such interest from very talented folks. This inspires me to surge ahead.

As I said I'm starting from scratch here. I'm establishing an area and assembling the tools I feel I will need to do a competent job. I am going to secure a dedicated area (off limits to the wife, and cat). She immediately went there "Oh, you're building yourself a man cave". I just said "yes dear" and all is as it should be, lol.

As I await my shipment, are there any suggestions as to what sort of tools and such I won't be able to live without? Right now I'm trying to figure out how to build/obtain an efficient jig / stand / support ? to place the keel in as I begin the process. Please forgive my ignorance as I attempt to acquire the skills, even the vocabulary required.

As I said, thank you for your warm welcome and support. I will work on my camera system and learning how to upload. Have fun.

jess
Bazholding
#10 Posted : 14 October 2017 21:14:11

welcome and enjoy the build.

I have two partially built ships and I have always feared the kids going ooh look, toy boat lol.

my ships are currently on hold until I get a plank bender. I have used the hot water method to bend the planks to date but as some of the bends are getting tighter that method doesn't seem to be working as well.

they are a relatively cheap tool, I just keep buying other model stuff first lol
Current builds: HMS Victory, hachette black pearl, DC-3, R2-D2, Millennium Falcon
darbyvet
#11 Posted : 14 October 2017 23:42:05

Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Hey jess,
you can buy jigs for making ships, but many people make their own.All you need is a flat board and some right angle shelf brackets.I use particle board because it is very flat.I draw a line down the middle of the particle board for the keel and then put the metal brackets either side of the line a width just wide enough to slip the keel into.This will hold your keel upright and straight.A good right angle square is great to make sure your bulkheads are properly perpendicular to the keel.

As far as tools go you can buy basic ship tool kits from places like Amazon or micromark, but you may find you have most of the things you need already.You probably wont need a plank bender for the Cutty Sark as she has nice gentle curves.

here is a link to a ship modelers tool set.I would look around for something a bit cheaper, but it gives you an idea of the tools you will need.

https://www.micromark.com/Ship-Modelers-Tool-Set

Here is a link to another good tool site.The fair a frame jig they sell is very nice for ensuring a good straight keel and bulkhead build.

http://www.hobbyworldinc.com/toolship.html

Finally another good tool kit
https://www.amazon.com/D...rds=model+ship+tool+kit

I would also recommend browsing some of the excellent member ship builds on the forum and you will see some home made jigs and get an idea of the tools you will need.

Carl

darbyvet
#12 Posted : 14 October 2017 23:47:47

If you look at Gandales Soverign of the Seas incredible build you will get a veyr good idea of the tools you will use.He also has some pictures of his home made keel jig. There are in post number 9 of his build diary

Here is the link to his diary.It is a masterpiece!!

http://forum.us.model-sp...aspx?g=posts&t=5013

Carl

Tomick
#13 Posted : 15 October 2017 08:53:24

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

Welcome to ModelSpace Jess Cool

Cutty Sark isn’t an easy choice for the novice wooden ship modeller as it’s instructions assume that you have previous experience with wood ship builds. However, there is lots of expertise on the forum to guide you along the way should you need help.

We have a specific topic all about jigs for ship builds:
http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=20425

Also a specific topic about ship modelling tools:
http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=6881

Planking techniques for beginners:
http://modelshipworldfor...ingprojectbeginners.pdf

ModelSpace range of modelling tools:
https://www.model-space....-tools-accessories.html

Hope you enjoy your stay with us and your Cutty build.
giant242
#14 Posted : 15 October 2017 13:09:05

ALL GREAT STUFF !! thank you again....

"Cutty Sark isn’t an easy choice for the novice wooden ship modeler as it’s instructions assume that you have previous experience with wood ship builds. However, there is lots of expertise on the forum to guide you along the way should you need help."

I tend to differ ~ because of my ignorance the "choice" was very easy, just maybe not wise, lol.

I looked through the catalog figuring the high end models would be the most difficult ~ not for me! And although I have no experience I also assumed an entry level model would not be challenging and I would therefor lose interest. Knowing I wanted to gain experience as quickly as possible, and I wanted a larger model because of the clubs I call fingers, I chose the Cutty Sark. (It's hard to make a lot of 5 year plans when you're in your 70s.)

I have been reviewing other modelers builds almost non-stop for the last week ~ truly magnificent work shown. It wasn't until after I placed my order that I found the "YouTube" page with the amazing step-by-step videos. My wife turned to me and said "you chose the wrong boat!". She's probably correct (I'll never tell her that). I will strive to do my best acquiring the needed skill as I go, relying on many of the truly helpful folks here.

Already doubting myself and the kit hasn't even arrived yet, hahahahahahaha. So many ways to fail ~ there must be at least one or two ways to succeed.

have fun, jess
z8000783
#15 Posted : 15 October 2017 13:14:55

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Looking forward to seeing this Jess, as I am seriously think about the CS as my next build after Victory.

This forum is a great place with wealth of experience and, even if most here are not building your ship at present, I am sure that any difficulty you get into will be solvable one way or the other.

Good luck.
jonny7england
#16 Posted : 15 October 2017 14:14:11

Hi jess and welcome to MS forum...It would be nice to see another Cutty Sark Build on here, and having built the Cutty Sark myself some years back, I found it a challenge because there were very little instructions and I did not have the luxury of Model Space. But, I reckon the you will get on well with your build with all the wealth of information and tips that you have at your finger tips here. I hope that you will keep us posted of your progress which, I for one will look forward to...The main thing is to take your time and enjoy your build..
Wink ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
giant242
#17 Posted : 17 October 2017 16:11:22

Still awaiting my kit. Thank you for the links and suggestions.

Reading ahead in the build plan it seems strait forward until I get to "pack 4". So here is a small list of my "I'm totally lost here!" observations.

1. Starts off telling you to use white glue, then white glue / 30% water, then no mention. Can I just use a good quality wood glue like 'Titebond II'?

2. As I followed MWG's build of the CS, he added balsa between the ribs to stiffen and smooth the lines for plating. Is this something I should consider?

3. In pack 4, step 7 I become clueless about a couple of things....

"7 Glue and nail the walnut side waterways 30 to the main deck 25, leaving a
space of 8mm to the outer edge of the main deck. On the bow, this
distance should be 10mm to allow room to fit the four bow waterways 31 (two on
each side) so that they overhang the outside of the main deck
25 by 2mm. Plate the main deck with the basswood battens 33, starting from a
plate set amidship (broken red lines). Before covering the hatchways
and the three holes for the masts (broken red line rectangles and circles),
mark their exact position so that they can be cut out when the plating is
finished. Sand off the deck’s surface with a fine-grain sandpaper."

I assume the "waterways" are the darker wood on the outside of the deck plating. It seems it goes from 8mm to 10mm at about even with the front hatch. Then it seems that the deck plating is just laid on top of it as it staggers inward to the bow. ??? I initially thought it would be cut in to be flush. If laid atop the waterway, how much sanding / blending is required?

These may all become clear once I have the kit in hand. And I am assuming you can pull up the same build pages that I can.

apologies for showing my ignorance. Thanx in advance, have fun, jess

arpurchase
#18 Posted : 17 October 2017 19:20:39

BigGrin There are a few builds of the cutty on U-tube that may help you out:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvfsTXSkUes

As you go through a few more builds appear too.

I would buy a good Aliphatic wood glue if you have used one before and like it stick to it. Buy 1 half or full gallon container as it works out cheaper to buy it in bulk. Decant it into a smaller bottle for use.

Generally you can fill the bow and stern with balsa to help the lay of the planks in these area's but its not essential.

The dark wood edging will be the waterways but its best to have the kit parts in your hands and things will fall into place for these items.

Remember you will need to taper the hull planks at the bow and stern to get a good fit, if you take a look at my gulnara build you can see the lay of the planks as I did a natural finish on the hull:-

http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=22968

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Markwarren
#19 Posted : 17 October 2017 22:32:58

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Welcome to the forum Jess, I look forward to your cutty build diary when it arrives.ThumpUp

Mark
darbyvet
#20 Posted : 17 October 2017 23:06:51

I have this kit too Jess,
I havent built it yet.I will look at the instructions

Carl