Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages <12345>
I took the plunge Options
jonny7england
#41 Posted : 06 November 2017 20:39:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Very nice work Jess..Now you can see her shape beginning to form. Look forward to your progress on this beautiful build...
ThumpUp
Current Builds: Deagostini HMS Victory: Deagostini HMS Sovereign of the seas. Completed Builds: Del Prado: HMAS Bounty: Hachette: RMS Titanic: Del Prado: Cutty Sark...
magpie1832
#42 Posted : 06 November 2017 22:32:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Off to a good start, bent keel and ribs are a nightmare sorting them out and getting it straight takes some work which shows a great craftsman to go past it and carry on.

Well done mate.
Chris Cool Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

giant242
#43 Posted : 27 November 2017 01:58:31

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Packet ~ month two

Took me quite a while to decide what shape I wanted the stern. The instructions show it very 'up-swept' following the shape of the vertical keel while some other modelers had it very different. I decided to follow the instructions as best I could.
giant242 attached the following image(s):
IMG_0016.jpg
IMG_0018.jpg
IMG_0019.jpg
giant242
#44 Posted : 27 November 2017 02:31:17

Packet ~ month three

I took my time shaping the ribs and bow & stern stiffeners, then went about plating the bridgedeck. We had a big family event (wedding) so I wasn't getting the time I wanted to invest. late one night I quickly plated the center 2/3s and called it a night. 0600 I woke up with the realization I had covered the hole! :( without marking the position. I incised the plating from below and went about squaring the hole ~ miscalculated and cut a plank too far on the port side. Slapping myself upside the head I promised myself I would slow down again.
I did not like the pencil on the edges so I used a 'Minwax wood finish stain marker'. Very pleased with 95% of the result. I think a couple pices of the basswood may have been more porous / absorbent and it bled just a bit, not too bad.
I shaped and sanded until I was reasonably satisfied. I look at other modelers and their craftsmanship and it just reinforces the realization...... I have so much to learn and so many skills that need to be forged before I will ever be able to make something to be proud of.
IMG_0022.jpg
IMG_0025.jpg
IMG_0026.jpg
IMG_0029.jpg
giant242
#45 Posted : 27 November 2017 03:01:41

Packet ~ month four

So hi guys ~ Getting a little frustrated trying to figure all these parts ~ with no parts list and no indications as to what a "number 31" is ?? I opened the packet only to find SEVEN different sizes / types of wood.
I'm pretty sure one of them is the one I'm supposed to be using. I think the square piece is probably the 'support beam #45 in month 7. Where the waterways go from 8mm to 10mm with a 2mm overhang is unclear so I looked ahead and in month 7 there is a picture that shows nothing like what I interpret it to say.
So it's liable to be a while before I figure things out and post more photos.

have fun, jess
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG
birdaj2
#46 Posted : 27 November 2017 08:56:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Jess

That is all coming along very nicely.

I keep reading good things about that minwax product and from various builds i have read up on it looks a great finishing.staining product.

Having searched over here in the uk it does not seem to be available with just internet site i found listing it but must be coming direct from the USA looking at the postage.

Not having a parts list must be very trying. As a suggestion have you tried emailing artisania direct as they are usually very good at supplying info like this via an emailed pdf file. Might be worth a try.

There is a "contact us" link in the following

https://www.artesanialat.../en/104-model-ship-kits

Hope it all continues well.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#47 Posted : 27 November 2017 10:11:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Jess, very nice work to date.. well done....Cool Cool As for the parts list, I'm looking into this problem and will get back to you....

Regards

Alan
Nytetrain
#48 Posted : 27 November 2017 14:45:51

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hey Jess,

Your doing a great job. I plan on doing this one myself as well as the USS Constitution. Like you, I am new to the wooden ship builds. I am building the Scottish Maid. My build is here: http://forum.us.model-sp...spx?g=posts&t=23415 if you want to take a peek. I know the trials and tribulations you are going through also. I decided on this model to test my skills at ship building and see if I can move on to something more complicated. So far, I am very happy with my progress and the guys here are great with helping out and answering questions. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your build.
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...
giant242
#49 Posted : 27 November 2017 14:46:13

Thank you Tony and Alan...

Tony, funny I was just reading every word of your USS Constitution build as you were reading mine, lol. When I finish pulling out all of my hair I'll try that link, thank you.

Alan, if there's a parts list out there it may be of use to many less skillful folks such as myself. I promised myself ~ No Whining! ~ my tongue is getting really sore, lol.

IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG
giant242
#50 Posted : 27 November 2017 15:02:58

Thank you Ron,

As I said, I used a simple pen on the edges of my planking, I cannot even think about the tissue paper as you and Tony have used. Some very fine work there.

have fun, jess
Gandale
#51 Posted : 28 November 2017 12:19:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Jess, the media team will be uploading a Parts List PDF to the website in the very near future. Have sent you a PM on this and awaiting your response.....

Regards

Alan
giant242
#52 Posted : 28 November 2017 23:44:49

Hi guys

First off I'd REALLY like to thank all those that have been so encouraging. You folks are truly first rate. I apologize that I haven't addressed everyone's post. I'm just old and easily distracted, lol.

Alan, No, I had not followed that link Tony had given.. I had just walked away from the build for a couple days. So having a clear head, I logged in today, saw your post, then went to Tony's post. That link ( https://www.artesanialat.../en/104-model-ship-kits ) took me out of Model Space, to the Artesania site where I found this.....

https://www.artesanialat...y-sark-tea-clipper.html

It has the complete 90 page instruction booklet, including 18 pages of "parts list" in 7 languages. Also there is the video describing the boxed kit I believed I was ordering.

I guess I should have known to check the manufacturers web site ~ All in my learning curve. If not for you wonderful people I would probably still be trying to glue the first pieces together ~ Thank You All !

have fun, jess
giant242
#53 Posted : 28 November 2017 23:52:33

oh .. also on that page is the caution

MORE DETAILS

Warning: Last items in stock!

I don't know for sure but that may mean they are going to stop producing this model ???? That would be a real shame. I love the lines of this ship and the reflection of the courageous sailors that braved the oceans in her.

have fun, jess
Gandale
#54 Posted : 29 November 2017 00:38:11

Glad to hear your sorted now Jess with regards to a parts list....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Nytetrain
#55 Posted : 29 November 2017 00:48:58

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The parts list and full instructions are here for the Model Space Cutty Sark: https://www.model-space....ark-full-kit-model.html Under the downloads tab. I am not sure if the AL parts list is the same as the Model Space one...
Best Regards,
Ron

On the bench: DeAgostini '67 Ford Shelby Mustang, Hachette Space Battleship Yamato 2202, Agora Models T-800 Terminator
Finished builds: DeAgostini Toyota 2000GT
In the Stash: Losing count...
giant242
#56 Posted : 29 November 2017 01:49:03

Thank you Alan.. You are superman !

Hey Ron... Sry, In error I had stated the link provided was from you. It was the link from Tony (now edited).
I had been using the downloads you mention exclusively. They are not the same. The Model Space downloads are an abbreviated version that do not contain the parts list. What I was totally unsure of, now took me less than 5 seconds ~ with full confidence ~ so nice. Anyone building this model really needs the complete instructions with parts list.

So now I have found the instructions ~~~~~ looking for the skills to use them, Laugh

Thank you everyone.

have fun, jess
Gandale
#57 Posted : 29 November 2017 09:06:04

Happy to help Jess. Also happy to say the complete parts list is now available on the MS Cutty Sark web page and is the one you should use....Cool Cool ..

https://www.model-space....-sark-complete-kit.html

Look forward to seeing more of your build...

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#58 Posted : 29 November 2017 12:16:55

Jess

Glad you managed to get yourself sorted with the parts list. I think i would have been totally lost looking at that picture you pisted with all those parts as they all looked so similar.

Hope the rest of your build goes along without any further issues for you.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Tomick
#59 Posted : 29 November 2017 12:35:00

Groups:

The parts list is now on the Sark download page
giant242
#60 Posted : 29 November 2017 16:45:52

That's perfect Alan ~ Thank you very much. I'm sure there will be many folks in the future that won't have a clue how much they owe you.

Tony ~ ikr... What really had me immobilized was that if I used the wrong ones then I messed it up ~ AND messed up what I needed in the future. Thank you.

I'm running out of excuses here guys!! Huh

have fun, jess