Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages «<2345>
I took the plunge Options
giant242
#61 Posted : 26 December 2017 13:51:28

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Just a quick "catch-up" to let folks know I haven't dropped off the planet, or lost interest. I am used to doing better work than I seem to be able to do now. Don't know if it's the eyes, the shaky hands, lack of patience, or I'm just expecting more outa myself than I have to give.
Taking my time I soaked and then pre-bent the waterways. After gluing them in place I carefully cut those added four planks at the bow. Being as careful as I know how to be, the corner of one broke off at the grain ~ a little wood glue and almost as good as new.
I then found the center of the deck and placed the middle plank. I don't know who thought it was a good idea to glue down the waterways and then cut them :( nibbing is not my fave ! My work is sloppy. I just hope after sanding and a little clearcoat it will be acceptable.
I do a couple at a time and then come back to it when I have time. Part of me says I'm just being careful but I know the hull planking is next and it still intimidates the heck out of me. Looks like I am going to have to shim out one of the ribs to keep the proper curve.
I hope everyone is having happy and blessed holidays.

have fun, jess
giant242 attached the following image(s):
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0045.JPG
IMG_0047.JPG
birdaj2
#62 Posted : 26 December 2017 14:12:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That looks very good.

The bow section of the decking looks very complicated but you have made a very nice job of yours.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
delboy271155
#63 Posted : 26 December 2017 14:22:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

All looking very neat and tidy. WTG

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Congrats on your "Blue" medal for running your diary.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

giant242
#64 Posted : 26 December 2017 21:37:51

Thanx Tony and Derek.....

WoW ~ I have a metal Blink Cool
arpurchase
#65 Posted : 26 December 2017 22:09:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking good as for the planking take your time all will be be wellCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

jase
#66 Posted : 26 December 2017 22:48:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks Great, keep the pics coming

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#67 Posted : 27 December 2017 00:29:36

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Jess, looks to me like you're doing a great job and your attention to detail together with lots of patience will go a long way to ensuring you end up with a beautiful display piece. The adding of shims to some of the ribs is a normal part of the faring process and is necessary to ensure you end up with a hull with nice flowing lines.

Don't let the process of planking intimidate you, it is not difficult providing you take your time and follow the instructions. If you find at any stage things are not working the way the instructions say then stop, post some pics and let us have a look. A wealth of knowledge on this forum is available with members that are only too willing to assist and guide when needed.....

Keep up the good work and keep posting those pics.... well done....

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#68 Posted : 27 December 2017 10:48:17

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

You’re doing a great job, very clean and tidy. ThumpUp

MarkBigGrin
samson
#69 Posted : 27 December 2017 11:15:25

Hi Jess

I'm glad to see another cutty sark build and you've come very well from the start. Congratulations
I look forward to following your construction .

Cheers
Jens
pemberg
#70 Posted : 27 December 2017 11:49:08

Your deck planking is looking great, as to the hull planking, don't be intimidated. Take your time (especially with the first planks laid) and follow the instructions and all should turn out fine.

Graeme
giant242
#71 Posted : 04 January 2018 04:04:29

Thanx guys, all those nice things you say are so undeserved.

As much as I tell myself to slow down and take care I still find myself trying to rush things along ~ I have absolutely no idea how I mis-measured that one nib on the starboard. hopefully I can place something over it so it won't be noticeable.

I decided to square off the deck planks as shown in the instructions rather than have the fancier end cut so many folks use. Also, when I soaked the walnut waterawys to help shape them the color became pale as compared to the other four (un-soaked) pieces. I an going to 'set' the nails a little deeper and finish sanding the deck, then it time to say goodbye to the jig, turn it over and start plating.

The instructions call for starting at the keel and working my way up. I think I should also begin at the deck and then merge somewhere around the waterline ~ Is that accurate?

This experience is totally enjoyable as is watching other builds ~ part of the reason I'm having trouble going slow is I want to do all the things I see you guys doing, lol. Thank you so much.

have fun, jess
giant242 attached the following image(s):
IMG_0048.JPG
IMG_0049.JPG
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0051.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG
Markwarren
#72 Posted : 04 January 2018 08:46:39

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking good to me jess.ThumpUp

Mark
Gandale
#73 Posted : 04 January 2018 10:34:07

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Coming along nicely Jess, looking good....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
magpie1832
#74 Posted : 04 January 2018 12:04:07

Looking great Jess. Good work on the planking.

Chris Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gibbo
#75 Posted : 04 January 2018 15:35:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Jess
This is first time i have seen your build and it's coming along really well and i am looking forward to seeing it progress, just take your time and don't rush it, read ahead, think ahead and plan ahead, and then when you feel comfortable in the knowledge go ahead, if you take a look at my build i have taken drills and saws to what i have done before, chopped things off and cut bits out, wood is very forgiving, dont panic.
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
giant242
#76 Posted : 10 January 2018 02:12:43

Thank you guys BigGrin You guys are great.

Paul, what a great build you have going there.... I was totally going for the wooden (un-coppered) hull until I saw how you made it look possible ~ I immediately ordered some copper ~ thank you.

Well, when I received my kit I was missing #7 but had no idea what it was or what to look for ~~~ found out! stem & sternpost, keel and rudder at least. I had finished sanding the deck, put about a dozen planks in some nice warm water to soak, and then went to get the keel so fit the planking correctly. ~ I went thru EVERYTHING three times. Not there. Then I went back to the instructions for the umpteenth time and realized those parts are in pack #7 ~ crap!

I guess I'll take those planks out of the water, lol. Guess I'll find some other parts to assemble while I wait.

Have fun jess
giant242
#77 Posted : 27 January 2018 03:29:35

I notified the company of the shortage on January 12 ~ so far no word since then Cursing

"Order MSWEB-200006473 had been confirmed. We'll notify you once the package has left our warehouse. "

have fun, jess
arpurchase
#78 Posted : 27 January 2018 10:53:37

BigGrin Looking good, you can always throw a coiled rope on the offending part of the deckCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#79 Posted : 27 January 2018 11:13:16

giant242 wrote:
I notified the company of the shortage on January 12 ~ so far no word since then Cursing

"Order MSWEB-200006473 had been confirmed. We'll notify you once the package has left our warehouse. "

have fun, jess

Hi Jess, it can take 14-28 days for these to come through. Would give it a little while yet and if nothing appears then contact them again...

Regards

Alan
giant242
#80 Posted : 28 January 2018 05:55:48

thanks guys ~

It's just that I'm slow enough without any 'help' Cool

have fun, jess