Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Problems with screws shearing on hood (bonnet) Options
70 Coupe
#1 Posted : 15 October 2017 16:20:57

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

All, has anyone else had any issues with screws shearing off whilst installing the hood hinges on issue 86?
Step 86B with the plastic guide plate, the MD10 screw sheared off well inside the hole, and on the opposite side step 86E also saw the MP10 screw shear off.
I don't believe I was overtightening and they sheared well before they were fully tightened.
I didn't just blindly keep tightening as I would drive it in a small way and then back off, (like you would with a full size sticking bolt).
I'm assuming I will be able to request a replacement hood? Or is it possible to drill out and maybe loctite a screw in place? would have to be very careful though as moving parts involved.
Is the issue caused by too much paint in the screw hole at manufacture?
And it was going so well..............Cursing
Any help and advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks Tony
davetwin
#2 Posted : 15 October 2017 19:08:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

70 Coupe wrote:
All, has anyone else had any issues with screws shearing off whilst installing the hood hinges on issue 86?
Step 86B with the plastic guide plate, the MD10 screw sheared off well inside the hole, and on the opposite side step 86E also saw the MP10 screw shear off.
I don't believe I was overtightening and they sheared well before they were fully tightened.
I didn't just blindly keep tightening as I would drive it in a small way and then back off, (like you would with a full size sticking bolt).
I'm assuming I will be able to request a replacement hood? Or is it possible to drill out and maybe loctite a screw in place? would have to be very careful though as moving parts involved.
Is the issue caused by too much paint in the screw hole at manufacture?
And it was going so well..............Cursing
Any help and advice greatly appreciated.
Thanks Tony

Hi Tony,

I haven't had this problem myself or heard of any others. The method you used of screwing in slightly, then backing off should have been sufficient.

Personally I applied a little lubricant to the screws before screwing them in the first time, this is something I always do though to small sized screws like the ones supplied.

Loctiting a screw in place would work however I would use something much stronger like a two part epoxy.
70 Coupe
#3 Posted : 16 October 2017 13:50:17

Hi Dave, Thank you for the reply.
The main problem I have now is that the screw holes have the remains of the sheared screws in them, do you think I could get a replacement bonnet from customer services?
Mainly because I can see all sorts of issues trying to drill out the damaged screws
Tomick
#4 Posted : 16 October 2017 14:45:54

Groups:

Request replacement for c/s is your safest route
70 Coupe
#5 Posted : 21 October 2017 10:26:44

Hi Tomick, Thank you, I will contact customer services and see what they say.
Cheers. Tony
66Mustang
#6 Posted : 22 October 2017 18:56:17

Hi, yes it happened to me too and I know of another too. The replacement hood was exactly same as the first. To get round it I got a 1.3mm drill bit and drilled the holes out in order for the screws to go in. I used a tiny drop of cutting oil to make sure the screw was ok. I tightened in a little and removedThe repeating until it was all the way home. I tried to use a 1.5mm drill to remove the old screw. But as the screw was harder than the hood metal the drill drifted and made a real mess. I also tried bonding the hinge to the hood but that didn't work either. Angry
davetwin
#7 Posted : 22 October 2017 20:25:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

66Mustang wrote:
Hi, yes it happened to me too and I know of another too. The replacement hood was exactly same as the first. To get round it I got a 1.3mm drill bit and drilled the holes out in order for the screws to go in. I used a tiny drop of cutting oil to make sure the screw was ok. I tightened in a little and removedThe repeating until it was all the way home. I tried to use a 1.5mm drill to remove the old screw. But as the screw was harder than the hood metal the drill drifted and made a real mess. I also tried bonding the hinge to the hood but that didn't work either. Angry

Let's not blow this out of proportion. I understand there are a couple of people that have had this happen, however if you contact customer services they will issue a replacement.

If this was a larger scale problem the forum would no doubt be inundated with reports of this issue.

You have posted some really great advice but let's try and refrain from scaremongering.
arpurchase
#8 Posted : 22 October 2017 21:43:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin You could also try using a mini tap n die set to tap the hole before inserting the screw. I have had mine for a while now and its paid me back countless times.Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Spal
#9 Posted : 22 October 2017 22:28:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin You could also try using a mini tap n die set to tap the hole before inserting the screw. I have had mine for a while now and its paid me back countless times.Cool

That is a great suggestion Andy and could easily be applied on so many models.

Al

lotus79
#10 Posted : 03 November 2017 18:06:31

Hi i have tried to fit the bonnet on my Mustang and like some others on here the screws wont go in far enough to hold the plastic part,i notice that there is no thread in the holes in the bonnet to take the screws i take it that is the reason the screws wont go in properly ,bit naughty as this is not a cheap kit if anybody has tapped out the hole what size tap would i need to do it Many thanks
only1ianuk
#11 Posted : 03 November 2017 20:31:59

Personally I used a bit of Vaseline and very slowly a bit of brute force to get the screw in. Really wasn't easy though.
arpurchase
#12 Posted : 04 November 2017 10:31:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi All

The MD10 screws used to fix the hood brackets in place are listed in the parts supplied list on page 12. This states they are 1.5 x 4mm screws so any metric 1.5 tap will do the job.

My set of taps n dies has only 1.4 or 1.6mm taps so I used the 1.4 on my hood this enabled the screw to seat itself properly in the hole as I screwed it in position.

Hope this helps if you go the tap route.

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

lotus79
#13 Posted : 04 November 2017 13:01:11

Hi many thanks for the replys i have ordered a set of metric taps and i willtry it out on a piece of metal first, many thanks
arpurchase
#14 Posted : 04 November 2017 19:06:48

BigGrin Glad to be of helpCool

70 Coupe
#15 Posted : 20 November 2017 18:44:55

UPDATE.
Customer services misread my e mail and sent me part 86, (with the screws and hinges etc) but not the actual hood (bonnet).
I contacted them again and they are sending the hood......
Will update further when I receive the hood.

Thank you for all the replies and good advice.BigGrin
Tony
70 Coupe
#16 Posted : 12 December 2017 22:25:53

Well, customer services finally came through and I received the replacement hood on the 7th of December. To make sure the screws went in smoothly I used a tiny dab of hair clipper oil on each screw, it worked a treat!
I've now caught up with the build and only have the last 4 editions to go, I can't wait to put the body and chassis together.
Thank you to the people on this thread who offered help and advice, it's much appreciated.BigGrin
delboy271155
#17 Posted : 12 December 2017 23:04:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Good to see you`re sorted. Cool

Enjoy the rest of your build.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"