Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Falcon exhaust weathering confusion Options
roymattblack
#1 Posted : 15 October 2017 21:12:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

There are lots of amazing builds here, and superb weathering.

A question though...
On virtually every model I've ever seen of the Falcon, the 6 exhaust fans at the back puzzle me.

In space, there wouldn't be any discolouration trailing back on the hull as there's no atmosphere, so no drag on the smoke/fumes.

However, the Falcon does go 'planetside' every time it lands anywhere, hence the blackening effect.

My question is this:

Why do the smoke trails follow the fan-shape of the rear of the ship and not all go straight back and parallel as they would in reality, on almost every model I've seen?

If the ship is flying forwards, how can the blackened smoke effect from the outer fans be going at an angle towards the side 3/4 of the hull in a 'clock face' manner?

Google Mil Falcon model and look at the images.
Just about everyone adds the smoke effect fanning outwards.

Hopefully my question makes sense...

Below is a pic from the EA computer game box - presumably not a copyright thing any more than showing an Airfix kit box.
The pic shows the exhaust staining to be going straight backwards.
Would this surely be correct?

The two edited pics underneath illustrate my point.
The first shows the smoke staining to be straight back as per the box art.
The second shows it fanning out - as most people seem to paint their models.

A genuine question as I'll be building this beastie soon and I'd like to get this bit what is generally thought to be ok...
roymattblack attached the following image(s):
mil falc.jpg
correct.jpg
wrong.jpg
BradM73
#2 Posted : 07 November 2017 23:26:28

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

roymattblack wrote:
Why do the smoke trails follow the fan-shape of the rear of the ship and not all go straight back and parallel as they would in reality, on almost every model I've seen?

The best explanation I can give you is that the Falcon likely spends a LOT more time on the ground while it is on a planet, and therefore it would give the weather (rain or other precipitation) more time to move carbon build up or mold (since we don't know exactly what that black stuff is) down the hull and create the effect where it's not in line with the expected direction of movement. Hope that makes sense.