Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

11 Pages 123>»
Roy's E Type Options
roymattblack
#1 Posted : 21 October 2017 11:48:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I've decided to start on this one as the big C Type is nearing completion and I fancy having a go at the E Type.

I have a contact (via my big scratch builds) who owns two series one cars.
One is dark green like the model, the other is primrose yellow.
If I base my build on the green one, I can leave the body alone but the interior will need re-trimming in light green leather.

The yellow car will mean repainting the model, and trimming in red.
At the moment, I'm leaning toward the green one as it's less aggro.

I'll be changing various parts, particularly under the bonnet as his cars are both different in a few areas for whatever reason, and I'll use them as a guide for extra detailing and so on. Ditto the interior.

Oh well, off we go...

Roy.
tigerace
#2 Posted : 21 October 2017 12:01:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Nice one RoyBigGrin will be followingCool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

roymattblack
#3 Posted : 21 October 2017 13:29:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Well, the first task was to alter the profile of the cylinder head a bit.

DeAgostini have done a good job with the part but the E Types I'm working from have more of an angle to the sides of the head and cam chain case.

A very easy mod - just holding the head against a bench grinder and finishing off with a file.
The head sides were then repainted gold.

Roy.

roymattblack attached the following image(s):
P1014200.JPG
P1014201.JPG
P1014198.JPG
roymattblack
#4 Posted : 21 October 2017 15:48:00

And a little more.

The faces of the cylinder head have been taken back to metal, as a real head would be, and the internal areas painted matt black.
Acorn nuts also painted silver.

Camshafts painted metallic grey and the lobes and bearing faces are silvered using BMF.

Ok, probably never seen once the model is finished, but it's all a bit of fun.

Also - the front coil fixing lug has been cut off - reasons will become apparent.

Roy.

P1014202.JPG
P1014203.JPG
P1014204.JPG
P1014205.JPG
P1014206.JPG
roymattblack
#5 Posted : 21 October 2017 17:15:48

Ok.

I've removed the fixing lug for the coil and breather just so that later on I can mount the coil with some added detail.
I've also added an extra piece to the front of the cylinder head to replicate the way the head slopes back between the cam covers. I've also painted that area ally.

All a tad OCD, but it's just part of the fun for me, adding little bits, and (hopefully) improving what is already a great model.

BTW - I'm not touching the bonnet bits - part 1, or the wheels just yet.
No need, they can wait. It's the engine I'm having fun with at present.

On we go...

P1014207.JPG
P1014208.JPG
P1014209.JPG
P1014210.JPG
roymattblack
#6 Posted : 21 October 2017 18:58:10

Moving ahead with the engine parts...

Roy.

P1014211.JPG
P1014212.JPG
P1014214.JPG
P1014215.JPG
P1014216.JPG
Gandale
#7 Posted : 21 October 2017 22:31:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks like you're going to have a lot of fun with this Roy, will be watching to see what you come up with.....Cool Cool .. Good luck with her, hope it all works out the way you want it to.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Spal
#8 Posted : 22 October 2017 00:07:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good to see a different take on the Jag build BigGrin look forward to seeing what else you have up your sleeve Roy.

Al
roymattblack
#9 Posted : 22 October 2017 14:13:06

Many thanks chaps. Hopefully it will work out.

Anyway, with the engine block now in bits, I thinned down the centre sections by 3mm each resulting in the block being 6mm narrower than before.
The parts were then all Araldited together and the screw holes filled.

The 6 core plugs on each side were cut back and replaced by three per side as per my friends cars. A further small plug was added above the oil filter mount using a piece of gubbins from my scrap box.

With the block now narrowed, it was glued back onto the lower parts and a curve was fabricated at the joins using a 1/4 section cut from round tube.
These fillets were glued in place and a new distributor mount was also added in a different place.

Once painted, the parts were all finally glued together although I still need to make a front timing chain cover and add it...

Roy.

P1014217.JPG
P1014219.JPG
P1014220.JPG
P1014222.JPG
P1014226.JPG
P1014227.JPG
P1014228.JPG
P1014229.JPG
P1014230.JPG
P1014233.JPG
P1014234.JPG
roymattblack
#10 Posted : 22 October 2017 18:10:37

A bit more on the engine.

I've nobbled a part from a kit to replicate the cam chain cover on the engine front and will be making up the bits for the water pump and alternator/dynamo bracket etc. The 'extra' front cover has added around 1.5mm to the engine so hopefully it won't cause any clearance problems later on.

I'm making these changes for a few reasons:

1 - I'm a bit of a Jaguar fanatic.
2 - I'm basing my model on a car a friend owns so I'm trying to (kind of) replicate his.

All great fun as I really enjoy 'tweaking' kits.

Roy.

P1014235.JPG
P1014237.JPG
tigerace
#11 Posted : 22 October 2017 19:52:11

Really impressive Roy Drool great modeling skill ThumpUp regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

birdaj2
#12 Posted : 22 October 2017 21:41:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Cor this is going to look good.

You certainly know how these things should look and even at this early stage it looks really nice.

I was really disappointed that i had to ditch my build as it would have been a model i would have liked. Most of the present large scale part works do not appeal to me (nothing wrong with them but just not models that do anything for me).

Hope all your other plans for this one work out as want.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
roymattblack
#13 Posted : 23 October 2017 09:56:44

Many thanks fellow plastic-bashers.

I contemplated adding my own gearbox/clutch housing and even cast one in resin but then looked at the kit part. It has what appears to be mounting holes for attaching the complete engine assembly to the frame later on and rather than fiddle about attempting to replicate these in the correct place, I just decided to put the kit piece back.
Although it's different to my friends car, it will be virtually hidden in the tunnel/firewall later on.

The oil filter feed mount was painted and added, as were the two exhaust manifolds.
These were de-seamed and then painted matt black with a light mist of bronze to give a light surface rust appearance.

Roy.
P1014238.JPG
P1014240.JPG
P1014239.JPG
roymattblack
#14 Posted : 23 October 2017 11:04:57

A bit more...

I've made my own starter motor and mounting plate - as I keep repeating, I'm working from a friends real car and I'm trying to get it to look a bit like his which may well have had various mods or alterations over the years.

I've got some really good E Type books with wiring diagrams, so the starter is already drilled to take the power lead later on.

Roy.

P1014241.JPG
P1014242.JPG
roymattblack
#15 Posted : 23 October 2017 12:59:55

Righty ho...
Last bit until later today.

I've built up the carbs and manifold but chose to add a bit of colour variation in places.

The inlet manifolds have had a dusting of graphite grey and the air plenum chamber has been 'mottled' using cellulose light gold over acrylic silver - while all still wet.
This caused the paints to react a bit (?) and gives a nice 'Hammerite' effect which sadly doesn't show up too well in the pics.

The air filter canister had two prominent mould seams up the front so I removed the small black fitting and de-seamed the part. A further coat of ally paint and it was fitted to the plenum chamber. I'll add a new decal later on.
I also added two inlet pipes as the actual cars do have them.

The water pipe (wrongly described as an air balance pipe - note it connects to the radiator header tank...) was de-seamed, repainted and fitted in place.
All very straightforward stuff.

As my engine is already assembled, screwing the carbs in place is a no-no so they have been attached using 2 part epoxy.

The black wire in the last pics is attached to the starter motor and will eventually go to the starter solenoid.

Roy.

P1014243.JPG
P1014247.JPG
P1014249.JPG
P1014250.JPG
P1014251.JPG
P1014252.JPG
P1014253.JPG
roymattblack
#16 Posted : 23 October 2017 17:18:13

Hopefully my constant updates aren't driving people up the pole.
Bear in mind I'm retired, and have a very amenable better half who lets me 'play' as much as I like.
(I sent her off to Portugal with her bestie friend yesterday for a week to to keep her happy)

Anyway...

I made a new distributor and added the vacuum advance/retard mechanism along with the feed pipe from the inlet manifold.
I'll add the ignition leads a bit later as they will just get snagged if I add them now. (Been there - done it umpteen times)

Made a new water pump and the associated pulleys, all fitted in place.
New Alternator next, then the belt that goes with it.

Roy.

P1014255.JPG
P1014256.JPG
P1014257.JPG
P1014258.JPG
P1014259.JPG
davetwin
#17 Posted : 23 October 2017 19:03:24

The engine is really starting to look the part Roy, great work Cool
roymattblack
#18 Posted : 23 October 2017 19:39:56

Thanks for looking in Dave.

Last update tonight.

I've been looking at the carb setup and it was bugging me.
Two things -
1: No linkages.
2: Dashpots should be polished ally.

I've removed the linkage rod in prep for making up a representation of the throttle linkages.
Nothing elaborate, but just something that connects the throttle control rod to the carbs themselves.

Also - the dashpots have been removed and covered with Bare metal foil.
Much nicer now that they have been refitted.

The alternator has now also been made (my own) and fitted.
A drive belt will be added when all the glue is really dry.

Roy.

P1014260.JPG
P1014262.JPG
P1014263.JPG
P1014264.JPG
P1014266.JPG
P1014267.JPG
tigerace
#19 Posted : 24 October 2017 07:23:57

Really great work Roy BigGrin the engine is a model on its own Drool regards PhilCool

pemberg
#20 Posted : 24 October 2017 08:46:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

You are doing a brilliant job on the engine Roy, looking like the real thing.

Graeme