Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Clear coat the body? Options
AlDove
#1 Posted : 27 October 2017 00:17:00

Groups: Registered

I am not experienced with the lexan racing bodies. The painting and decals went fine. My question is can I clear coat the outside of the body to protect the decals? If so should I use the polycarbonate paint on the outside as well? Or just a good quality paint like Tamiya?
Tomick
#2 Posted : 27 October 2017 08:32:55

Groups:

The lexan body should only be painted on the inside as outlined in the instructions using a polycarbonate paint such as the Tamiya PS range.
Lexan bodyshells are not designed to be painted or gloss clear-coated on the outside, you may also find that a clear gloss-coat does not stick to the vinyl decals.
The Tamiya PS range does not have a clear gloss but they do have a new flat clear-coat (PS-55) which is specifically designed for exterior lexan use and gives the matt paint effect currently on Red Bull car., more info here:

http://www.tamiya.com/en...6055flatclear/index.htm

You should do a test on scrap vinyl decal material before applying it onto your lexan bodyshell.

Tamiya have a protective topcoat’ (PS-26) but not much info about its use (interior or exterior), if it’s clear and if it’s gloss, but could be worth investigating further.
AlDove
#3 Posted : 27 October 2017 21:17:14

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the response. I think I'll leave it alone for now. I'll have to investigate the PS-26 because a gloss finish is what I'm after.
Tomick
#4 Posted : 27 October 2017 22:48:37

Groups:

Polycarbonate paints are etch-paints without need for a gloss finish as their use is always on the inside which if applied on the outside it’s a matt/satin finish that’s the result.