Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Engine lights Options
Altaguy
#1 Posted : 10 December 2017 01:33:12

Groups: Registered

Has anyone else had problems with the leds on the strips? I have some that are malfunctioning.
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 10 December 2017 09:28:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

It is very unusual for them to malfunction, it maybe the battery getting low as the Led strip will have the larger output compared to the rest of the lighting. If you also have additional lighting attached to the board, this could also be the problem.

Mark
Altaguy
#3 Posted : 10 December 2017 13:35:55

If by 'additional lighting' you mean have I added anything other than what was provided, then, no. I wouldn't know where to begin with doing something like that.

To clarify my problem: on one strip I have one led that is only at about 3/4 brightness and it tends to flicker. On the other strip, I have two leds that barely put out any light at all. Every other led seems fine, and all other electrical devices seem fine.

However, low batteries sounds plausible, so I will look into that and get back to you.
Altaguy
#4 Posted : 10 December 2017 21:07:26

I loaded in a new set of batteries and there is no change to the leds.
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 10 December 2017 21:26:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin I would contact C/S and ask for a replacementCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

scraperjawa
#6 Posted : 11 December 2017 02:44:16

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I had the same problem with one of my engine light strips. I contacted customer service and they sent me a new one in about a week.

Stephen
Current Builds: HMS Sovereign of the Seas /// Lamborghini Countach /// Eaglemoss BTTF DeLorean

Finished Builds: Millennium Falcon

Metal Mech
#7 Posted : 12 December 2017 17:03:56

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Altaguy wrote:
I loaded in a new set of batteries and there is no change to the leds.

Hi I am the forum support team member for the US and Canada. If you need any help getting this issue taken care of please feel free to contact me and I will take care of it.

Also here for you if you have any other questions or problems.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
Altaguy
#8 Posted : 12 December 2017 19:12:15

Thanks, guys. I've been in contact with Danny H via email. He said my parts should be sent out within 2 weeks.
Apophis
#9 Posted : 24 February 2018 21:27:16

Hey people, I’m having a similar issue with my strips, got two on one strip and three on the other, they are in the middle of the strip, so it’s safe to assume that the led are bad.
Did contact c/s and sent Mech a pm
Metal Mech
#10 Posted : 25 February 2018 04:55:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Apophis wrote:
Hey people, I’m having a similar issue with my strips, got two on one strip and three on the other, they are in the middle of the strip, so it’s safe to assume that the led are bad.
Did contact c/s and sent Mech a pm

Sent you a reply. Once I get your response I will get this taken care of.

DeAgostini kit builds:

mopzo
#11 Posted : 11 March 2018 18:40:37

Markwarren wrote:
It is very unusual for them to malfunction, it maybe the battery getting low as the Led strip will have the larger output compared to the rest of the lighting. If you also have additional lighting attached to the board, this could also be the problem.

Mark

Unusual? Not in my case. I ordered a replacement set after the initial set was defective. LEDs out, DIM, and flickering.

Second set? Exact same thing. When I ordered the second set, I was told that there was a known issue with them.

Model Space packages them incorrectly. Go to Amazon and search for LED Strips. They are shipped on a reel.
Go to Lowes or Home Depot. The LED accent lights are packaged on a reel. Model Space crams them in a small space and they are folded over on themselves. I've noticed with my TWO defective sets that the problem LEDs are located on each side of the creases. In fact, both sets had the exact same defective bulbs. They are NOT supposed to be bent or folded.

I've ordered a replacement set from Amazon. Should arrive today. I'll post the results soon.
Markwarren
#12 Posted : 11 March 2018 19:32:31

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

When I said unusual, I was mearly trying to assertain what the problem could have been when you originally posted, not knowing whether you had added additional lighting. Some people have had issues, because of the extra lighting they have added, running off the same supplied board.
My custom build used different lighting for the engine display, not the supplied lighting, as shown in the custom build log. I also used a separate power board to power the LED lights along side the supplied one.
It is just unfortunate that you have received two batches with bent strips. At least you have identified the problem.
I hope it all works fine soon.

Regards
Mark
IronManfan001
#13 Posted : 12 March 2018 16:49:17

I'm having the same issue with the strips from issues 87 and 88. I sent C/S an email last night, through the website and just sent Metal Mech a PM.

Thanks.
Metal Mech
#14 Posted : 12 March 2018 23:26:26

Ok guys an update on this issue. Because of the high volume nature of this problem the US warehouse has stocked replacement parts for these to cover anyone having problems. If you are having issues and need these parts please contact customer service directly by phone so they can get you in que for these parts.

Thank you.

DeAgostini kit builds:

mopzo
#15 Posted : 14 March 2018 00:30:05

Metal Mech wrote:
Ok guys an update on this issue. Because of the high volume nature of this problem the US warehouse has stocked replacement parts for these to cover anyone having problems. If you are having issues and need these parts please contact customer service directly by phone so they can get you in que for these parts.

Thank you.

Would ModelSpace be able to provide the part numbers/source of supply for the LED Strips? Just contacted C/S and ordered my third set. After market set did not work. I don't have much confidence that the third set will work. I would like to purchase the strips from another source.

Thank you
1000Droids
#16 Posted : 24 July 2018 18:57:43

I had problems with the LED's. When random lights are dim or not working, it is a manufacturing problem. I called Model Space and they have sent me replacement parts. They arrived today.

I do need to know if anyone else has experienced the led strips coming loose after install. The wire seems to push up the edge it is attached to and then the strip works itself loose. I am concerned that Super Glue will destroy the backing.
I also don't want the strips coming loose once they are buried in the Falcon.

Thanks
Markwarren
#17 Posted : 24 July 2018 20:27:20