Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages 123>»
Roy's tweaked Mustang Options
roymattblack
#1 Posted : 11 December 2017 17:07:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I'm 'in-between' models at the moment.
Awaiting the next parts for the E Type, and TB2.
There are a few things in the pipeline, but these aren't here or ready yet so I'm getting itchy fingers.

Only 3 parts to go in my Shelby sub and they will be here in early Jan, way way before I need them.
I might make a start on this one.

It will possibly get put to one side as other things develop as I have to be completely honest - the Mustang doesn't really float my boat as a car.
I subbed to it in the beginning as there wasn't much else available as a car part work 2 years ago and I do like these big beasties.
Strange how it is that now, there are lots of car models appearing...

Anyway, I'll add lots of extra's, look into the wiring and plumbing as well as brake and fuel lines.
I'll also look at seeing if the interior can be trimmed in leather.
We'll see.

On we go...

Roy.

roymattblack attached the following image(s):
P1014570.JPG
P1014571.JPG
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 11 December 2017 17:57:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Looks like you could do with some more space there Roy.

I agree with you on the car models on sibscription as it has to be something that apoeals which was my disappointment when i had to cancel the one i did go for because of so many problems.

I rather liked that back to the future model but not enough to be satisfied if something else came along.

I am determined "before i die" to make a large car model but it will have to be on a subscription basis as the costs of the poacher kits for instance are a bit out of my pocket to pull out in one go.

While so far its come to nothing i did subscribe to the james bond lotus and while (if it ever comes out) may have issues in terms of the underwater additions, built without these i think it looks a good model.

I did get a subscription number and email for that one but no news if when or ever it will appear.

At the moment my only subscription is to the uss constitution so i do have scope to take on something else - just waiting to see what appears. Guess that will probable be january when many of these new partworks get advertised.

Really enjoying your build updates though Roy on your e type build.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
roymattblack
#3 Posted : 11 December 2017 22:19:32

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

Um - yes, more space needed...
I keep building these huge models, but never learn.
They're even piling up on the dining table now.
My (infinitely) better half is even working round them to wrap Xmas pressies...

P1014572.JPG
P1014573.JPG
P1014574.JPG
P1014575.JPG
P1014576.JPG
P1014577.JPG
P1014578.JPG
birdaj2
#4 Posted : 11 December 2017 22:49:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

roymattblack wrote:
Um - yes, more space needed...
I keep building these huge models, but never learn.
They're even piling up on the dining table now.
My (infinitely) better half is even working round them to wrap Xmas pressies...

Roy

Difference is though you actually build yours -all i end up doing is stock piling.

Just wish i could retire and have personal time to do what i want :-)

Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
roymattblack
#5 Posted : 12 December 2017 16:36:55

Don't wish it away Tony - retirement will come all too quickly.

Anyhoo...
A small start.

First off - the small air vents under the front bumper should be open but being metal, I just opted to colour them matt black...

The engine.
Hmmm...
The cam covers and air filter top have been blacked in the grooves just for the sake of a bit of decoration.

Fuel float chambers were removed and shifted as they were in the wrong place - too far inboard.
Put back, and the missing balance pipe has been added...

Roy.

P1014579.JPG
P1014580.JPG
P1014581.JPG
P1014582.JPG
P1014584.JPG
roymattblack
#6 Posted : 13 December 2017 18:24:35

I've skipped issue 2 for now as I don't need the wheel and stub axle parts yet so why build them and clutter my already cluttered space...

Carrying on with part 3 and lumps of the engine.

I removed the carb mounting plates as I needed access underneath them to add the throttle linkage rod (missing) and then the actual linkages.
All of these bits are 'representations' of the real thing so they are similar and close enough without rivet-counting.
I like to be able to look 'in' to a model once built, and discover things not immediately noticeable. For me, adding these little parts is all the more fun.

Once these assorted bits were added which also entailed building the manifold out on one side to take the linkage mounting brackets, the top plates were put back.
The carbs were added - painted a light bronze-silver as per umpteen Google images.
The actual linkages were made from thin wire and added, as were the breather balance pipes, again missing from the kit.
I also added the fuel bowl on the front carb. Fuel lines to be fitted later.

There are still a lot of pipes and linkages to be added but they will have to wait until the main engine block is assembled.

All good fun.
P1014586.JPG
P1014588.JPG
P1014589.JPG
P1014590.JPG
P1014591.JPG
P1014592.JPG
P1014593.JPG
P1014594.JPG
P1014595.JPG
P1014596.JPG
P1014598.JPG
P1014597.JPG
birdaj2
#7 Posted : 13 December 2017 20:43:38

Looks like some good parts there Roy.

Bet they will look even better when you have worked your magic.

Have you had any thoughts on colour? Is it going to be a custom paint or are you happy enough with the dark blue supplied?
Happy Modelling

Gandale
#8 Posted : 13 December 2017 21:27:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Off to a great start as usual Roy, will be following to see your fine touches being added.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
tigerace
#9 Posted : 14 December 2017 15:03:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

like the detail already RoyDrool Drool great startBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

roymattblack
#10 Posted : 15 December 2017 09:15:25

Thanks chaps.

Re: the colour etc Tony.
I'm very happy with the blue/white of the bodywork so that is staying as-is.

I contemplated changing the interior to a deep red. Ok, not prototypical but I've never been too keen on black interiors, even on real cars.
However, the carpeting and rear seat parts would somehow need changing.
I'll have to look at those parts before making a firm decision.
At the very least, if it does stay black it will all get trimmed in leather.

I've sorted the rear exhaust parts after de-seaming the pieces.
A light coat of Halfords steel, a touch of graphite grey, and then a mist of red oxide primer for a slight surface rust look.
I want the car to look new, but not factory-fresh.

Roy.

P1014601.JPG
P1014603.JPG
P1014604.JPG
P1014605.JPG
Gandale
#11 Posted : 15 December 2017 09:26:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Red interior will certainly give a striking look to her Roy, love the idea....Drool Drool .. Hope it works out the way you want it to.....

Regards

Alan
roymattblack
#12 Posted : 15 December 2017 10:17:25

I've had a look at the floor parts and it seems that removing the flocking isn't easy - quite a bit of Googling.
Also, re-colouring it isn't really viable.

So - two options...

Leave the interior black but leather trim it all

Go with red leather on all of the seat parts, door panels, trim etc, but leave the carpets black.
I'm not sure that would look right though as I've never seen any cars with seats/interior that are different to the carpets...

Any thoughts/ideas?

Roy.
roymattblack
#13 Posted : 15 December 2017 11:33:25

My plan to work on major parts and ignore the actual build order isn't working out.
Looking at other major engine parts takes me way up to issues beyond part 60.
Also, it seems that several parts of the later issues need earlier ones for electrics etc so it seems I'm going to have to follow the build order pretty much.
A nuisance as it means stockpiling built parts I don't need for a fair amount of time and as I've already mentioned, storage space for me is at something of a premium right now.

Any way, first wheel sorted.
All very straightforward although I painted the caliper clear red over the silver, for a bit of 'bling'.
I also painted in the black on the wheel.

Fitting the tyre...

It says (somewhere) heat the tyre - NOT boiling water.

I dumped my tyre in a bowl of boiling water.

2 minutes later, out, dried and laying on a marble chopping board.
I laid the wheel on the tyre and pressed down very hard with the palm of my hand.

POP... Tyre in place in two seconds.

Roy.

P1014606.JPG
P1014608.JPG
P1014609.JPG
tigerace
#14 Posted : 15 December 2017 14:49:55

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

nice update royBigGrin like the brake calipers brings a bit of contrast to the disk wheel assemblyDrool Drool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

roymattblack
#15 Posted : 18 December 2017 14:55:16

Many thanks to all those following.

I've made a start on the floor sections.
The parts have been repainted red oxide with a light mist of matt black.
It doesn't show in the pics but the parts are now quite a bit darker than the bright-ish orange they were originally.
Fuel tank also repainted and I removed the moulded-in fuel pipes so I can add separate ones later on.
Also de-seamed the filler pipe and added some jubilee clips.

Rear axle also assembled and repainted satin black with a mist oflight matt brown to replicate a bit of surface grime.

Roy.

P1014610.JPG
P1014611.JPG
P1014612.JPG
P1014613.JPG
P1014615.JPG
P1014616.JPG
P1014617.JPG
roymattblack
#16 Posted : 19 December 2017 17:07:21

Well, only a small update although quite a lot of parts.

All the rear suspension etc is in after being toned down with matt earth and matt black 'mist' spray.
The wheels have been painted and fitted.
The transmission has been repainted ally and gunmetal as all the reference pics I can find of original cars shows that it isn't blue.
It seems that restored cars have a gearbox etc that has been painted blue.
Anyway - a bit of colour variance.

However - MASSIVE DISAPPOINTMENT...!!!

I spent about 3 hours trying to cover one of the seat parts in real leather.
Now, anyone who followed any of my previous builds will know that leather trimming upholstery holds no fears for me.
I've re-trimmed more model cars that I can remember.

The problem - the kit seat parts are made from a soft vinyl that will not take glue or D/S tape.
The leather covering just comes away from the seat.
I de-greased the parts, scrubbed them, dried them - no effect.
The leather will NOT adhere.

The only upside is that the seats are actually quite realistic and do look like the nasty vinyl/rexine that was used in the '60's.

I hate to leave the car innards 'as-is' but there's little else I can do.

Ho-hum.
On we go.

P1014621.JPG
P1014625.JPG
P1014626.JPG
P1014627.JPG
roymattblack
#17 Posted : 19 December 2017 22:03:29

Last update for now, maybe last update - full stop.

Possibly get back to it later but at the mo, not a priority build for me.
Back in storage for however long.

Absolutely NO disrespect to the kit - it's great.
Just not 'me' at present.

Keep peeping in - I might finish it one day.
P1014629.JPG
P1014630.JPG
P1014631.JPG
P1014632.JPG
P1014633.JPG
birdaj2
#18 Posted : 20 December 2017 08:56:04

Hope you get the desire to get that one out of the box and continue Roy as it was starting off so well.

Happy Modelling

roymattblack
#19 Posted : 04 January 2018 13:12:37

Ok chaps.

I've fished this one out again as I'm awaiting parts for the E Type and TB2.
Currently no other builds on the go and a few hopeful projects haven't materialised.

The Shelby is a very good kit and goes together extremely well.
I'm a bit disappointed that I couldn't leather trim the innards so I've rattled on with the assembly pretty much 'by the book', other than repainting all the black parts - I don't like leaving things in plastic colour, however good the finish.

Onwards...
P1014643.JPG
P1014644.JPG
P1014645.JPG
P1014646.JPG
P1014647.JPG
roymattblack
#20 Posted : 05 January 2018 15:57:11

I bit more today.

I'm back on the engine (for me, the fun bit) and some of the parts have been cleaned up, repainted and assembled.

I say 'cleaned up' in the broadest sense.
The fan belt part must surely have the biggest seam lines ever seen on a kit...
I had to resort to a fairly rough grade metal file to remove the 0.5mm ridge running all the way around the belt.
However, once smoothed with 300 wet and dry, the belt surface looks quite authentic.

The alternator was repainted according to Google reference and the wiring added, to be connected elsewhere later.

Also, the 'gas filter' (I suspect, starter motor) was de-seamed and repainted.
I'll need to do some research on that piece to verify exactly what it is...

P1014650.JPG
P1014651.JPG