Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

6 Pages «<3456>
Lift Span Bridge Project Options
Gandale
#81 Posted : 25 January 2018 23:50:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

More great progress, looks fab.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Ballina
#82 Posted : 26 January 2018 22:35:56

Groups: Registered

Thank you Al and Alan for kind words.

Throughout this project I continue to do Internet research. A friend emailed me a photo taken of a computer screen by her iPhone. It revealed a few things I was still not clear about. There was the matter of what did the swing-gates look like. The scale of the cars is known, but how did they look in comparison to the whole bridge. Finally, what did the concrete road look like from above.

Decided to splatter dark grey paint onto the cement colour. It turned out horrendous. Originally I wanted to start again, but a part of me knew it could be turned to my advantages. So then I used the dry brush method to lighten up the dark patches. Afterwards, I kept alternating between dark and light paint with a fine brush until I was happy with the results.

Painting the span took longer than painting the rest of the road. It was difficult to get into the central areas. The edges of the span and bridge have a metal plate (silver painted area). The hole you see on edge of road is for the fine (0.7 mm) bridge cable which goes through the display table.

Gibbo
#83 Posted : 27 January 2018 00:59:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

The roadway looks great and must have taken some time (big road, little brush) but why did a lift span bridge have gates ?
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
Ballina
#84 Posted : 27 January 2018 01:49:23

Gibbo wrote:
The roadway looks great and must have taken some time (big road, little brush) but why did a lift span bridge have gates ?

Yes, it took a few days to paint the road surface.
I am posting photos daily to catch up to where I am at the moment with the project.

The gates were used to swing across the road to block traffic (After the red traffic lights have been on).

The bridge needs to operate from its original console, which has swing-gates (see top half). Today they have boom-gates. Don't know what console they have now. Latest update was 2014. Perhaps they have a laptop now.
Gibbo
#85 Posted : 27 January 2018 01:58:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Oh i see now, they lifted with the span, ok that makes sense now, thanks.
Regards
Paul
Ballina
#86 Posted : 27 January 2018 02:20:48

Gibbo wrote:
Oh i see now, they lifted with the span, ok that makes sense now, thanks.
Regards
Paul

I am sorry Paul if I have confused you.
The console operator, in the span hut, also controls the road traffic lights and the gates that close across the road. They are separate from the lift-span portion of the bridge.

If you take a closer look at the first photo of my last update, you will see the gates are on the road before the bridge.
Ballina
#87 Posted : 27 January 2018 23:18:59

Ballina
#88 Posted : 28 January 2018 22:07:39

Since the console will be a wiring diorama of sorts, I decided to add a touch of drama by painting bits here and there.

Ballina
#89 Posted : 29 January 2018 19:53:18

Created a new wiring harness for the console.

Markwarren
#90 Posted : 29 January 2018 22:51:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very impressive, looks like you need a degree in wiring for this, just amazing.Love

Mark
Gibbo
#91 Posted : 30 January 2018 02:15:56

Thanks peter i see where you're coming from now, i was looking at the wrong bits.

Ballina
#92 Posted : 30 January 2018 21:32:29

Gibbo wrote:
Thanks peter i see where you're coming from now, i was looking at the wrong bits.

No worries Paul.
My grammar is not the best and often confuse others.
Ballina
#93 Posted : 30 January 2018 21:36:07

Markwarren wrote:
Very impressive, looks like you need a degree in wiring for this, just amazing.Love
Mark

It does look a bit like a neurovascular map of some weird sea-creature.Laugh
Ballina
#94 Posted : 30 January 2018 21:38:09

Added wiring harness to console control panel. Since it is the underside (not easily seen) it was pointless to dressed it up.

Connected control panel and harness to console.

Made small harness between terminal strips and the two D-Connectors to the back of console (these connect to control box under display table).

delboy271155
#95 Posted : 30 January 2018 23:28:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

That`s all looking very tidy.

Cool Cool Cool

Praise be for plastic tie wraps. In my younger days I maintained telephone exchanges and we had to form cables and wiring looms using a waxed twine. With the correct knots, keeping the twine straight along the wires and wrapping the ends with a special locking knot that became invisible. It would have taken an hour just to tie up something like this.

WTG, all your effort is really showing.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Ballina
#96 Posted : 31 January 2018 22:15:40

delboy271155 wrote:
That`s all looking very tidy.

Cool Cool Cool

Praise be for plastic tie wraps. In my younger days I maintained telephone exchanges and we had to form cables and wiring looms using a waxed twine. With the correct knots, keeping the twine straight along the wires and wrapping the ends with a special locking knot that became invisible. It would have taken an hour just to tie up something like this.

WTG, all your effort is really showing.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Thanks Derek for compliment.

Your post reminded me of earlier years doing a few small wiring harnesses for altered valve radios. In researching for this project, I actually downloaded drawings of such looms and knots. Then I saw on eBay very cheap plastic ties.
Ballina
#97 Posted : 31 January 2018 22:16:50

Added Passive Infrared (PIR) sensor for detecting any museum visitors approaching the display.

Dyed some felt a grey color and lined the console edges of front panel.

Drilled holes in the thick Perspex, allowing heatwaves to reach the PIR sensor. A portion of the front panel was used as a kick board to protect the Perspex.

Gibbo
#98 Posted : 01 February 2018 02:23:03

Very neat and tidy on the wiring, i'd be popping blood vessels by now, and a lovely touch with the sensor, nicely done.
Regards
Paul
Markwarren
#99 Posted : 01 February 2018 08:24:24

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Wow, just amazing wiring work. Emmett Brown (Doc), would be proud.BigGrin

Mark
Ballina
#100 Posted : 01 February 2018 20:15:12

Gibbo wrote:
Very neat and tidy on the wiring, i'd be popping blood vessels by now, and a lovely touch with the sensor, nicely done.
Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul.
I think it looks better with the lights...