Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Pegasus hobbies MLEV-5 kit (Mars lander excursion vehicle). Options
darbyvet
#1 Posted : 20 December 2017 03:58:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Build of the year 2018 entry.Pegasus hobbies MLEV 5

OK,
had tons of fun as always with the 2017 competition so for 2018 I have picked another Randy Cooper design (my 2016 entry was Randys Time Machine).

I will be building Pegasus hobbies MLEV-5 kit (Mars lander excursion vehicle).

This is a fairly large and detailed plastic model kit.I will be adding a couple of details sets.The first is Paragrafix interior and exterior detail set, a resin upgrade set produced by Randy which has resin engine nozzles (clear for lighting), some EVA suits and other details.Finally all this extra detail will mean I can add interior and exterior lights to the model using Voodoofx lighting kit. The lighting kit is a bunch of electronic that will require assmebly including the circuit board assembly so that should keep me busy.

Randys inspiration for the vehicle was apparently a Hamster ball (the big clear ball you put you hamster in for exercise)!! That is what he used to model the main shape of the vehicle.SOme of the interior detail and the Eva suits are very similar (to my eye) to the suits used in the Matt Damon film The Martian and I will be paitning the suits to match Matts EVA suit.

Carl

jase
#2 Posted : 20 December 2017 05:47:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

darbyvet wrote:
OK,
had tons of fun as always with the 2017 competition so for 2018 I have picked another Randy Cooper design (my 2016 entry was Randys Time Machine).

I will be building Pegasus hobbies MLEV-5 kit (Mars lander excursion vehicle).

This is a fairly large and detailed plastic model kit.I will be adding a couple of details sets.The first is Paragrafix interior and exterior detail set, a resin upgrade set produced by Randy which has resin engine nozzles (clear for lighting), some EVA suits and other details.Finally all this extra detail will mean I can add interior and exterior lights to the model using Voodoofx lighting kit. The lighting kit is a bunch of electronic that will require assmebly including the circuit board assembly so that should keep me busy.

Randys inspiration for the vehicle was apparently a Hamster ball (the big clear ball you put you hamster in for exercise)!! That is what he used to model the main shape of the vehicle.SOme of the interior detail and the Eva suits are very similar (to my eye) to the suits used in the Matt Damon film The Martian and I will be paitning the suits to match Matts EVA suit.

Carl

cannot wait to see it
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
birdaj2
#3 Posted : 20 December 2017 08:48:22

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Carl

That sounds like another great build in the making.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Tomick
#4 Posted : 20 December 2017 09:39:36

Groups:

Good luck with the entry Cool
Metal Mech
#5 Posted : 20 December 2017 18:28:53

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hmmm why does this seem so familiar???? Oh yeah cause I was supposed to build it in 2016 and didn’t haha.
Good luck with your build. Can’t wait to see what you do and steal, I mean borrow ideas from you.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
pemberg
#6 Posted : 20 December 2017 21:24:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Sounds like an interesting project, look forward to seeing it come together.

Graeme
tigerace
#7 Posted : 20 December 2017 22:00:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I`ve never seen itConfused but looking forward to the build CarlBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Gandale
#8 Posted : 21 December 2017 09:32:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Sounds like a very interesting build and look forward to seeing it come together, good luck with competition Carl.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
tigerace
#9 Posted : 21 December 2017 15:54:35

Well just visited there website they have some cool models CarlDrool Drool and the one you are building looks superbDrool Drool will be followingCool regards philCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

darbyvet
#10 Posted : 21 December 2017 17:22:28

Thanks guys,
here is a youtube clip of Randys finished MLEV, built by Randy himself (posted with his permission).

If mine comes out half as good as his I will be thrilled.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiO6jo3PcAw

Carl

Tomick
#11 Posted : 21 December 2017 17:58:51

Groups:

Looks a high tech model Cool

You don't need permission to post YouTube links as they are in the public domain.
pemberg
#12 Posted : 21 December 2017 21:23:45

Looks a very impressive kit, I will watch this build with great interest.

Graeme
darbyvet
#13 Posted : 22 December 2017 00:52:26

here are some pics of Randys own build of the kit (used with his permission).

darbyvet attached the following image(s):
mlev1.jpg
mlev2.jpg
mlev3.jpg
mlev4.jpg
mlev5.jpg
Markwarren
#14 Posted : 22 December 2017 09:53:47

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looks a very impressive model. Looking forward to seeing this build if the last one is anything to go by.

Mark
Spal
#15 Posted : 22 December 2017 10:11:15

Another interesting choice Carl BigGrin look forward to seeing how it turns out .

Al
birdaj2
#16 Posted : 22 December 2017 18:44:00

That looks very interesting and so detailed
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
arpurchase
#17 Posted : 02 January 2018 20:02:24

BigGrin Looks good with the lightsCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#18 Posted : 03 January 2018 00:31:14

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Now that does look like a fun build, very impressive.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
nightwisher
#19 Posted : 04 January 2018 23:44:31

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looking forward to this, loved your time machine.
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
darbyvet
#20 Posted : 22 January 2018 15:51:47

OK here we go.

The kit comes in a pretty big box! it has some really nice box art.
The kit has quite a few sprues of parts.The main body is in 2 parts that are really nicely molded.There are 2 resin astronaut figures, some gold bare metal foil, some decals and a small fret of photoetched parts. The instructions are very good.It looks like quite a straightforward build.Since I am adding lighting I will need to do some planning to figure out where to put the LEDs and wiring.

It looks like the interior can be built as a sub assembly and then enclosed by the out skin.This will make painting and wiring much easier.There is quite a large space under the platform which will be where I put the circuit boards for the lighting kits.
darbyvet attached the following image(s):
mlev1.jpg
mlev2.jpg