Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

1/17 Lo Scorpione Options
kpnuts
#1 Posted : 25 December 2017 17:30:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi all here is one of my Chrissy presents from my missus.
Look forward to starting it.

Ken's the name modeling's the game.
birdaj2
#2 Posted : 25 December 2017 20:59:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I will be interested to see what you think of this one Ken.

I have had a couple of these on my wish list for a long time now but never got around to buying one.

With the display base it looks like it could be made into a very nice display piece.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
kpnuts
#3 Posted : 25 December 2017 21:58:59

I'm hoping so, they supply laser cut wood bits for the bow for beginners or steel for experts I might give the steel ones a go as even if I ruin them I can always fall back on the laser cut bits.
birdaj2
#4 Posted : 25 December 2017 22:28:32

kpnuts wrote:
I'm hoping so, they supply laser cut wood bits for the bow for beginners or steel for experts I might give the steel ones a go as even if I ruin them I can always fall back on the laser cut bits.

Now that does sound good. I was wondering what that coil of wire was for.

Hope it goes well for you.
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
Plymouth57
#5 Posted : 26 December 2017 16:08:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That should keep you going Ken!BigGrin
I've got a small collection of similar looking cannon models (and I think one still to build) - nowhere near as complicated as this beast however but they still make up into lovely little display pieces. I'm not sure if mine were Mantua, got a feeling they might have been Artesania.
Best of luck with it!Cool

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Spal
#6 Posted : 26 December 2017 20:22:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

An interesting kit Ken BigGrin I shall look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Al
kpnuts
#7 Posted : 26 December 2017 21:42:16

Hi all well here is the start

My son also bought me these interesting things for Christmas

I've never seen these kits before.
birdaj2
#8 Posted : 26 December 2017 21:56:13

Nice start Ken.

That wood takes a very nice varnish coat.

Never built any of those metal earth kits but seen a number of online builds and they look very good indeed.

You had some very nice christmas gifts.
Happy Modelling

Gandale
#9 Posted : 27 December 2017 00:02:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nice looking kits Ken, lucky boy.....Cool Cool .. Look forward to seeing your work on these....

Regards

Alan
kpnuts
#10 Posted : 30 December 2017 11:17:00

Hi all here is the next update. They supply laser cut wood bits for the bow or steel for as they call it expert builders. I've tack glued one of the laser cut bits to the steel as a template for cutting. Here is where I need help the supplied metal is so hard a file won't even scratch it, what I have so far was done with a sanding belt. What would you suggest I drill the holes with I have high speed drill bits but I'm not sure they would drill through this stuff.

birdaj2
#11 Posted : 30 December 2017 11:40:22

So what do you think the metal is Ken.

In the kit pictures if its that coil then it looks dark but in your last picture with the tacked on wood puece there seems to be a shine.

I am guessing from what you say its not brass?

If its steel you would need something more like those mini diamond coated files to make an impression on it quickly.

Example on ebay if you use this item number.

And for your drilling you would want something like tunsten carbide drill bits - again an example ebay item code below

Happy Modelling

kpnuts
#12 Posted : 30 December 2017 20:45:48

Thanks mate I think it's sprung steel, it is very springy and if you try to bend it too much it snaps.
kpnuts
#13 Posted : 14 January 2018 21:01:15

Hi all next update.

tigerace
#14 Posted : 14 January 2018 21:03:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Excellent build KenBigGrin looks very ImpressiveCool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

birdaj2
#15 Posted : 14 January 2018 22:42:55

Very neat work Ken.

I must say these models look very nicely detailed.
Happy Modelling

Gandale
#16 Posted : 14 January 2018 23:53:13

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nicely done Ken, this is coming along a treat....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
kpnuts
#17 Posted : 19 January 2018 23:00:12

Hi all here is the next update 

birdaj2
#18 Posted : 20 January 2018 10:17:04

That looks very neat Ken.

Little way away to my birthday but have a feeling one of these will be my present this year.

Did you go for the metal or the wood bow arms in the end?
Happy Modelling

kpnuts
#19 Posted : 20 January 2018 11:29:15

Mate I've no idea what the metal is but in the end I broke 5 tungsten carbide drills doing 3 holes so I gave up on the metal in the end, although the wood is very fragile so I'm not sure if it will be working or just for show.
birdaj2
#20 Posted : 20 January 2018 12:07:25

kpnuts wrote:
Mate I've no idea what the metal is but in the end I broke 5 tungsten carbide drills doing 3 holes so I gave up on the metal in the end, although the wood is very fragile so I'm not sure if it will be working or just for show.

That was he reason i asked Ken because to be honest you cannot really tell if its wood or metal.

It looks absolutly brilliant. I have seen this range on corrnwall model boats and thought they looked good but seeing your build They are good.

Hope the rest of it goes well.
Happy Modelling