Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages 123>»
"TORUK" Options
godan61
#1 Posted : 30 December 2017 13:02:41

Competition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

2018 build entry

Ok so I had difficulty in completion of last years build BANSHEE from avatar due to work and other commitments but all is not lost. I learned a lot from that build and what could be achieved such as skin detail the banshee I made smooth and they actually have a leathery skin texture, again the dragon fly wings were too heavy and needed finer detail.

So my plan for the new year is to build TORUK "(last shadow) this is also known as the greater leonopteryx and the main aerial predator in avatar. The finished product is I want it launching itself from a cliff top with wings spread. To get the detail I want it will be big with a body around 12" long and a wing span of around 26" so it will give me surface to work detail in.
Again the idea is this is a scratch build so using only MDF, milliput,plasticard and some form of metal for the legs to give them the strength to support the figure in its leap.

So there we have it thats the figure the colour scheme will be airbrushed yellows, orange and reds so bring on 2018
jase
#2 Posted : 30 December 2017 14:51:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I loved what you did last year so looking forward to your larger updated version

good luck

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
birdaj2
#3 Posted : 30 December 2017 15:35:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

This sounds like something interesting.

Did not fully understand what it was until i just googled it.

Its a very colourful subject so looking forward to seeing this one take shape.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Spal
#4 Posted : 30 December 2017 17:15:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Enjoyed seeing the Banshee come together so will be looking forward to this BigGrin

Al
Gandale
#5 Posted : 31 December 2017 00:41:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Good luck with this one, look forward to seeing how it all turns out.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Tomick
#6 Posted : 02 January 2018 11:03:09

Groups:

Good to see your taking part again, good luck with this one Cool
godan61
#7 Posted : 06 January 2018 19:38:51

Competition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Ok and so it begins 2018

So a I statedI wanted to use what I had learned from my last build and build TORUK last shadow so I have been at the drawing board. I have scaled some of this off movie stills to give me the potential size of the build.

1.The head and neck will have an MDF sculpted core covered with fine miliput with the body being of the same construction.
2.main wing structure will be plastic card double layered in certain areas and the secondary wings a thicker plastic card.
3. the legs a base of MDF fixed to the main body with a core of some metal rod to be determined as this will have to take the whole weight of the build leaping from the cliff
4. the dragonfly wings I am going to to use transparent plastic engraving the scales at the end and back milliput to create the fine veins

I have yet to determine how to create the leathery look on the wings but sure inspiration will come out somewhere down the line.

The base I want to make unique by finding a nice piece of stone which will give it height and drama.
godan61 attached the following image(s):
Great-leonopteryx.jpg
Jaketorukdestroy.jpg
delboy271155
#8 Posted : 06 January 2018 19:55:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

I`m up for watching this develop for sure.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Good luck.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#9 Posted : 06 January 2018 20:04:10

BigGrin Best of luck with the beastCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

ian smith
#10 Posted : 07 January 2018 18:32:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Look forward to seeing this one come together.
Ian BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Markwarren
#11 Posted : 07 January 2018 19:09:54

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking forward to this. It will be very interesting. Good Luck.

Mark
godan61
#12 Posted : 14 January 2018 22:03:46

Ok so the rule of my scratch build is no model parts at all only the following:
MDF
Milliput
paperclips
tissue paper
PVA glue
superglue
Plasticard
metal rod

Process
create a basic skeletal carved MDF body in sections adding them on as you go and covering the frame with and sculpting milliput.
You have to remember and sculpting will need cleaning up and detailing.

Stage 1
take a block of three quarter MDF and cut the head and neck profile, 90 mins later and a lot of scoping with a chisel and dremel sander you have the basic shape. fig 1 add some detail and you have your frame. You need to remember is a skeleton so it nest be smaller than the finished size. fig2

stage 2
add milliput to give the basic detail to the head and plasticard for the top and bottom fins, remember this is basics so a lot of finishing to do with wet and dry, texturing and adding mouth detail.
one of the tricks I learnt was seal the mdf with pat before adding milliput this gives some grip.

lots of detail add to this
File Attachment(s):
IMG_2915.jpg (271kb) downloaded 28 time(s).
IMG_2914.jpg (277kb) downloaded 22 time(s).
IMG_2918.jpg
IMG_2939.jpg
Gandale
#13 Posted : 14 January 2018 23:22:58

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looks like you're off to a great start.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
birdaj2
#14 Posted : 14 January 2018 23:27:15

Very skilfull work.

Always impresses me to see models such as this being made from scratch.
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
godan61
#15 Posted : 21 January 2018 11:40:45

Stage 2

superfine milliput for the whole project dealing with detail, mix some up and role fine short conical pieces these will form the teeth. Fig1
Once they are dry line the jaws with soft milliput and cut the teeth to the shape and length required, basically its like making a set of dentures, work the milliput around the teeth like gums but don't overwork. Fig 2

Next is to sketch out and cut the template for the body I already have the proportions I have scaled of a picture in comparison to the head and neck but you can adjust it slightly to achieve a balance and the best way is to overlay the head and neck Fig 3

The body needs to be broader so this means cutting 2 3/4" mdf blanks glued together and left 24 hours, this will take probably around two and half hours of sculpting by chisel and dremel sander Fig 4
IMG_2936.jpg
godan61
#16 Posted : 21 January 2018 11:43:08

IMG_2940.jpg
IMG_3039.jpg
IMG_3040.jpg
IMG_3051.jpg
ModelMania
#17 Posted : 21 January 2018 13:07:22

Groups:

Some fantastic scratch building going on here Godan. You amaze me sometimes with your skill and ingenuity, very impressive!

Well done, love it! CoolThumpUp

Kev Smile
jase
#18 Posted : 21 January 2018 13:17:35

Another good start, you have some serous skill when it comes to this type of model building

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
birdaj2
#19 Posted : 21 January 2018 13:35:27

Well that looks very good.

Milliput is not the easiest of things to use but what a wonderful job you have made using it for the teeth.
Happy Modelling

godan61
#20 Posted : 21 January 2018 14:12:48

Thanks guys the one thing I learnt last time is patience and don't force it when working with milliput, if you overwork it or try and add too much. I build layers and let them go off and use wet and dry to clean up and texture it just before it cures.
Create the figure you want and then clean it up take off any edges.