Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

7 Pages <12345>»
"TORUK" Options
Spal
#41 Posted : 06 March 2018 15:07:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Great idea with the tissue paper, it should look great once painted.

Al
ian smith
#42 Posted : 07 March 2018 16:25:53

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Progressing nicely.
Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
TRGRichie
#43 Posted : 07 March 2018 17:26:42

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Very nice - looking forward to seeing this progress.

Rich
AUTO FRUMP STOMPER
Custom Porsche RS Build - http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=25728
godan61
#44 Posted : 08 March 2018 21:45:08

Competition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks Al, this is all one great experiment using lessons learnt from my previous build and venturing into new techniques such as the tissue paper. The other texture is the body which I wanted to create a lizard type texture I actually created this using a kitchen sponge with the green scourer on the other side, just wait for the milliput to cure slightly then press the green side on and peel offend there you have it lizard skin.

So part 2 of the rear wings firstly milliput on and shape the limbs top and bottom adding the lizard effects before it dries Fig 1
Next milliput the spines down the tailed let them dry, so I need to fix them to the body and the best way is to drill front and back and insert 2 steel pins or better known as paper clips.

Pin these to the body and superglue them in, just for a bit of added safety I just milliput them around the edges
Fig 2 I now add strips of tissue with the PVA glue over the back to blend the 2 sides together.

Fig 3 shows the 2 sides and blended together with the tails on the rear section the finishing touch is just to ad the 2 hook claws on the arms which I pre made and let dry.
godan61 attached the following image(s):
IMG_3114.jpg
IMG_3121.jpg
godan61
#45 Posted : 08 March 2018 21:46:14

Competition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Fig 3 and 4
IMG_3123.jpg
IMG_3135.jpg
arpurchase
#46 Posted : 08 March 2018 23:05:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Very nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

godan61
#47 Posted : 11 April 2018 21:53:14

Firstly sorry for the lack of posts and comments.
Recently my father inlay who followed my builds with keen interests died, this build has now taken on a new meaning for me as it is no longer just an entry but a tribute.

So where am I ?
Wings, I have the two wings formed but need to look at two issues firstly how to build the limb muscles and secondly how to build the connects for the 3 wing connects so there is some supporting connect structure including the front claw.

These 2 issues perplexed me for a while the limbs solid milliput could be a possibility but would be heavy and use a lot of milliput. Finally I settled on plastic covered foam carved to the shape required to provide form and reduce weight Fig 1
The second took longer but the best I could come up with was the following:
Plasitube heated, shaped and flattened on one end to give the angle this was then glued in place the idea would to be later to use a thiner piece of plastitube that fits inside and inside of that which would have steel wire inside of that.
This tube will fit inside both the socket and the tube that will go n the wings, also I used a split on the wing edge to give some body.
IMG_3129.jpg
IMG_3132.jpg
IMG_3133.jpg
IMG_3134.jpg
IMG_3136.jpg
Markwarren
#48 Posted : 12 April 2018 08:07:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Sorry to here about your father in law, it’s a fitting tribute to him. Keep up the excellent work.

Mark
ian smith
#49 Posted : 13 April 2018 13:11:10

sorry to here about your father in law. the build is looking fantastic.
IanCool
godan61
#50 Posted : 14 April 2018 19:19:19

So part 2 catch up

After the infrastructure of the limbs connection and wings in place first figures show the min wings in place fixed and ready for the limbs to be built in the idea will be to blend them in.
Next pictures show what will be the the main toe extended and formed and the 3 wing bases moulded in to make them sturdy enough to take the dragon fly wings.
IMG_3147.jpg
IMG_3149.jpg
IMG_3162.jpg
IMG_3179.jpg
IMG_3178.jpg
Plymouth57
#51 Posted : 14 April 2018 20:22:07

Absolutely beautiful! Especially the leathery skin texture, this is going to look first class! I've just bought my new Superfine Milliput and getting near my own body sculpting - not looking forward to it one bit!Blink

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1
Spal
#52 Posted : 14 April 2018 21:11:54

This is looking sweetBigGrin some great skills on show.

Al
godan61
#53 Posted : 14 April 2018 21:35:14

Thanks guys
One word of advice plenty of water plenty of tissue when using superfine
arpurchase
#54 Posted : 14 April 2018 23:01:41

BigGrin Looks a beast and very close to the filmCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#55 Posted : 15 April 2018 09:51:20

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Beautiful work once again.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
ian smith
#56 Posted : 24 April 2018 22:28:09

Cool Looking stunning. BigGrin Drool
godan61
#57 Posted : 06 May 2018 20:36:22

Ok so now I need to dress them up, firstly I need to milliput in the wing bases and blend them into the the main wing limb. This will form the base of the dragonfly wings which I have a cunning plan on how to make there is a lot at stake at this point as the main limbs have to support the other wings if this doesn't work Blushing .
The toes are pre formed milliput with steel pins which I drilled into the toe and foot and then moulded in.

The last shot shows it in some perspective against a coke can " its gonna be big" not sure I know where its gonna go when finishedLaugh
IMG_3178.jpg
IMG_3179.jpg
IMG_3189.jpg
IMG_3192.jpg
IMG_3196.jpg
Spal
#58 Posted : 06 May 2018 22:38:50

Its a fair size, but coming along very nicely Cool

Al
godan61
#59 Posted : 28 May 2018 20:42:12

TORUK
Last shadow " yeh because its the last one you see" its an apex predator on pandora that rules the skies, big bad a cold blooded killer.
What is it? a bird? a lizard? an insect? like most of the creatures on pandora it has some contradictory features, head this looks like a lizard with dinosaur features like the blade like feature on the head. It has 2 sets of eyes a main forward set but a smaller set that faces backwards giving it cover of vision.

Wings, this seem almost bat like or a prehistoric bird giving the main lift to fly but then there the anomaly, it has 3 outer wings these are part bat like but have dragon fly features on the extremities.

And this is where we are how to create this look for these wings.

First I sketched them out in proportion to the main wing (pic 1)I decided that the best way was to use 1.5 mm clear plastic, (pic 2) next I used a sharpie to mark out were I will milliput the main vanes on the dragonfly part.

How do I join the these wings to the main wing? so my crazy idea a is take a length of plastruct tube, drill a whole in it and splice it up to the end. This will slot over the outside base edge to the lower part of the wing and be blended in. Next take a length of smaller tube which fits inside and put steel through the core, this will stick out enough of the base of the wing to go into the sockets on the end of the main wing (I hopeHuh ) pic 3,4.

next I use an engraver and scribed in the dragonfly look BigGrin only got to do this another 11 times pic5
IMG_3198.jpg
IMG_3200.jpg
IMG_3201.jpg
IMG_3203.jpg
IMG_3204.jpg
IMG_3205.jpg
ian smith
#60 Posted : 29 May 2018 20:39:44

Cool Looking Fantastic.BigGrin