Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

8 Pages 123>»
RAF 100 Build Entry - Airfix 1/72 AVRO Vulcan B Mk2 XH558 Options
CaptnBirdseye
#1 Posted : 03 January 2018 18:29:36

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

This will be my entry for the RAF 100 Build Competion.

This kit is an old one, or at least the moulds are, and is often described as a 'nightmare' to build. So with that in mind i will try something new for me: I will be adding various upgrades from the likes of 'Wolfpack', etc.

Why this particular build? Well for me it is one of the most beautiful designs ever made. I was lucky enough to be standing below one as it flew over Scarborough Habour wall for their 2015 Forces Day celebrations! Wow, what a sight, and the sound....Love Love Love

Here is some history on the Vulcan:

The Avro Vulcan (later Hawker Siddeley Vulcan from July 1963) is a jet-powered tailless delta wing high-altitude strategic bomber, which was operated by the Royal Air Force (RAF) from 1956 until 1984. Aircraft manufacturer A.V. Roe and Company (Avro) designed the Vulcan in response to Specification B.35/46. Of the three V bombers produced, the Vulcan was considered the most technically advanced and hence the riskiest option. Several scale aircraft, designated Avro 707, were produced to test and refine the delta wing design principles.

Avro Vulcan Bomber RAF.
A Vulcan B.2 of the RAF, 1985
Role Strategic bomber
National origin United Kingdom
Manufacturer Avro
Hawker Siddeley Aviation
First flight 30 August 1952
Introduction September 1956
Retired March 1984 (Royal Air Force)
October 2015 (XH558)
Status Retired
Primary user Royal Air Force
Produced 1956–1965
Number built 136 (including prototypes)
Unit cost
£750,000 (1956)
Variants Avro Atlantic

The Vulcan B.1 was first delivered to the RAF in 1956; deliveries of the improved Vulcan B.2 started in 1960. The B.2 featured more powerful engines, a larger wing, an improved electrical system and electronic countermeasures (ECM); many were modified to accept the Blue Steel missile. As a part of the V-force, the Vulcan was the backbone of the United Kingdom's airborne nuclear deterrent during much of the Cold War. Although the Vulcan was typically armed with nuclear weapons, it was capable of conventional bombing missions, a capability which was used in Operation Black Buck during the Falklands War between the United Kingdom and Argentina in 1982.

The Vulcan had no defensive weaponry, initially relying upon high-speed high-altitude flight to evade interception. Electronic countermeasures were employed by the B.1 (designated B.1A) and B.2 from circa 1960. A change to low-level tactics was made in the mid-1960s. In the mid-1970s nine Vulcans were adapted for maritime radar reconnaissance operations, redesignated as B.2 (MRR). In the final years of service six Vulcans were converted to the K.2 tanker configuration for aerial refuelling.

After retirement by the RAF one example, B.2 XH558, named "The Spirit of Great Britain" was restored for use in display flights and air shows, whilst two other B.2s, XL426 and XM655, have been kept in taxiable condition for ground runs and demonstrations at London Southend Airport and Wellesbourne Mountford Airfield respectively. B.2 XH558 flew for the last time in October 2015, before also being kept in taxiable condition at Doncaster Sheffield Airport. It is currently owned and operated by 'Vulcan to the Sky' trust.
More information and a donation page can be found here: http://www.vulcantothesky.org/home.html

They need to raise £2m to build a new display and education building at Doncaster Robin Hood Airport, where the Vulcan is currently housed.

Anyway, kit ordered, upgrades ordered, updates to follow.....
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 03 January 2018 18:41:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Good to see another entry and a great choice.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Good luck.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

tigerace
#3 Posted : 03 January 2018 19:09:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

some really good builds going to happenBigGrin great stuff BigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Tomick
#4 Posted : 03 January 2018 19:09:12

Groups:

Another great RAF100 entry, was hoping someone would do a Vulcan as it deserves its place among the mix, good luck ThumpUp
arpurchase
#5 Posted : 03 January 2018 19:27:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice to see another build in the compCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

ModelMania
#6 Posted : 03 January 2018 22:24:23

Groups:

Oooooh, a Vulcan!!! Top choice Graham and a build which I will definitely be following. Well done and the best of luck in the competition. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
birdaj2
#7 Posted : 03 January 2018 22:39:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good choice and to be fair a difficult one as the aircraft is not full of detail so its all about a good paint finish (in my humble view).

When i was young ( we are talking mid to late '70s) my grand parents on my dads side lived in a village just outside of Lincoln caled Branston (like the pickle).

It was such a quiet place because most of the bungalows on the estate were service owned/rented.

Anyhow it was that time zone that had the vulcans flying out of Scampton and they used to be so low in the sky over Branston. Noisey, dirty (in terms of exhaust) and ground shaking.

Will never forget it to this day.

Very best of luck with your build.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
Gandale
#8 Posted : 03 January 2018 23:47:35

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Look forward to seeing it, good luck with your entry.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
jase
#9 Posted : 04 January 2018 00:36:30

Glad to see a Vulcan will be following

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Spal
#10 Posted : 04 January 2018 01:51:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Another great choice of build in this competition, look forward to seeing it progress.

Al
ian smith
#11 Posted : 06 January 2018 19:03:37

look forward to seeing this one come together.
Ian BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
CaptnBirdseye
#12 Posted : 08 January 2018 21:03:11

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi guys,
Thanks for looking in and your comments. Postman has finally been with the main model itself, still awaiting the 'wolkpack' upgrades.

First impressions are....well it's BIG! Considering the scale of 1/72 it makes you realise just how big the actual plane is.

The kit itself includes paint and adhesive, but i don't think i will use them. The paint pots themselves don't really look big enough for the size of the model anyway. It also comes with an appeal leaflet asking for donations to help keep XH558, the last Vulcan to leave RAF service, flying from 1986 to 1993 as the single RAF display Vulcan. It was sold off by the Ministry of Defence in 1997 to a team led by Dr Robert Pleming. Finally, 14 years after it last saw service, and over £7 million spent, Vulcan XH558 roared into the sky again on Thursday 18th October 2007. Quite a feat by anyone's standard.

For more information, please visit: www.vulcantothesky.org.

The model pays homage to this iconic plane.
CaptnBirdseye attached the following image(s):
vulcan unboxing 001.JPG
vulcan unboxing 002.JPG
vulcan unboxing 003.JPG
vulcan unboxing 004.JPG
vulcan unboxing 005.JPG
vulcan unboxing 006.JPG
vulcan unboxing 007.JPG
vulcan unboxing 008.JPG
jase
#13 Posted : 08 January 2018 21:25:35

one of my fave planes,

I guess this kit is showing its age, looking forward to what you can get out of it

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
birdaj2
#14 Posted : 08 January 2018 21:27:42

Looking forward to seeing what your wolfpack updates look like as not seen these.

Best wishes for your build asits a real classic aircraft.
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
delboy271155
#15 Posted : 08 January 2018 21:36:26

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Great choice, got this in my stash to be built one day.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one.

I saw XH558 on one of its last flights over Rutland Water in the Midlands and it was awesome. A sad day when it was grounded.Crying Crying

Still got the memories and if they fade away I`ve still got the pics.

Good luck with your build and entry in the comp..

Hope you don`t mind but I`ve added a pic for posterity.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
30.JPG
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

CaptnBirdseye
#16 Posted : 08 January 2018 21:55:00

delboy271155 wrote:
Great choice, got this in my stash to be built one day.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one.

I saw XH558 on one of its last flights over Rutland Water in the Midlands and it was awesome. A sad day when it was grounded.Crying Crying

Still got the memories and if they fade away I`ve still got the pics.

Good luck with your build and entry in the comp..

Hope you don`t mind but I`ve added a pic for posterity.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Thanks for viewing guys and positive encouragement.Nope don't mind at all Derek. saw same at Scarborough....but guess who left their camera at the hotel Blushing Blushing Blushing
ian smith
#17 Posted : 09 January 2018 01:13:47

Kit looks good. look forward to seeing your build and the upgrades.
IanCool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
arpurchase
#18 Posted : 09 January 2018 08:54:42

BigGrin Lots of plastic and looks a good kitCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

CaptnBirdseye
#19 Posted : 10 January 2018 20:36:48

Here are a few photos of the sprues. Pleased to say everything was still attached.
Still waiting for the upgrade parts from Wolfpack (seeing as they are coming from Australia, it is understandable). Speaking of which, i have also seen some upgrade etch sets from White Ensign Models. Review here:
http://www.britmodeller....vulcan-detail-sets-172/

Undecided whether to go with these or the ones from Wolfpack. I suppose i could buy both and re-sell the ones i don't use on eBay Unsure

anyways, here are the photos....
CaptnBirdseye attached the following image(s):
vulcan sprues 001.JPG
vulcan sprues 002.JPG
vulcan sprues 003.JPG
jase
#20 Posted : 10 January 2018 22:06:36

The WEM etch looks good, you can buy it as individual packs. they also do a pack of 7 bombs

https://www.whiteensignm...roduct-search/Vulcan/1/

Jase
-Mark Twain