Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

4 Pages <1234>
RAF100 build entry - Bristol Beaufighter Options
pemberg
#21 Posted : 23 February 2018 11:07:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Thanks for looking in and the comments.

I have slowly been putting together the Aires cockpit in between other projects but managed to lose one of the resin stays that are part of the pilots access ladder/hatch.

I decided to make two new ones from copper wire. I measured the diameter of the resin stay and found some copper wire of the same diameter. The original resin ones needed a wire grab handle added to each stay (the wire wasn’t provided with the kit) so I found some smaller diameter copper wire and made the handles from this.

One benefit of making my own was that I could solder the handle to the stay rather than trying to super glue the wire handle to the resin stay. The copper stay and handle were taped to a piece of wood, Pic 17. A little solder paste was put on each joint, Pic 18, and then heated with a soldering iron to make the joint, Pic 19. The joints were cleaned up and the parts added to the cockpit, Pic 20.

The cockpit tub and the side wall panels were first lightly sprayed matt black, Pics 21 & 22, followed by a coat of cockpit green, Pics 23, 24 & 25. The pilots seat, control stick, instrument panel and radio sets will be fitted later after wiring and other details have been picked out by brush.

That’s it for now. I now need to put my magnifier to work to paint the detail.

Graeme
pemberg attached the following image(s):
BB-17.JPG
BB-18.JPG
BB-19.JPG
BB-20.JPG
BB-21.JPG
BB-22.JPG
BB-23.JPG
BB-24.JPG
BB-25.JPG
CaptnBirdseye
#22 Posted : 23 February 2018 12:14:50

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Graeme,
Loving the way your build is coming together. Prefer your Aires resin extras to mine!That cockpit looks ace!

Keep it coming.

Regards
Gray
jase
#23 Posted : 23 February 2018 13:14:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice progess
Mjase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
tigerace
#24 Posted : 23 February 2018 18:27:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great work GraemeBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

arpurchase
#25 Posted : 23 February 2018 19:11:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin looking very nice and great work GraemeCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

ModelMania
#26 Posted : 23 February 2018 21:28:32

Groups:

A very nice start to your build Graeme, excellent work on the Aires cockpit and a nice save with the access ladder too - well done. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Gandale
#27 Posted : 24 February 2018 00:26:41

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good Graeme, your efforts are producing great results as usual.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#28 Posted : 24 February 2018 12:21:49

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Great work Graeme, the copper stay and handle is a work of art.

Mark
pemberg
#29 Posted : 26 February 2018 15:23:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thanks for looking in and the kind comments. I have no complaints over the quality of the Aires parts but their instructions leave a lot to be desired. It needed regular reference to various photo sources to check on the positioning of some items.

Just a brief update. Various items in the cockpit have been picked out and the instrument panel made.

The PE instrument panel was placed on the resin back panel and the position of the dials marked on the panel, Pic 26. Holes were then drilled through the panel and the panel sprayed black. The instrument transparency was then glued to the panel and the PE glued on top. Pic 27 shows the panel temporarily sat in place. I realise that as I am not introducing any lighting into the cockpit the effect will probably not be seen but I thought I would give it a go, maybe for future projects. Pics 28-30 show the progress so far.

The pilots’ seat has also been completed. A seat cushion was fashioned from milliput as none was provided although they are present in various photos of the Beaufighter cockpit. The seat was then painted and the PE seatbelts were fitted (after first bending them to shape and painting them), Pic 31.

There is still a bit more work to do on the cockpit parts before bringing them together.

Graeme
BB-26.JPG
BB-27.JPG
BB-28.JPG
BB-29.JPG
BB-30.JPG
BB-31.JPG
Tomick
#30 Posted : 26 February 2018 20:34:31

Groups:

Nice work and great work on the cables, looks great Cool
Spal
#31 Posted : 26 February 2018 21:21:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I know what you mean about the Aires instructions or lack of LOL despite that its looking great BigGrin

Al
Markwarren
#32 Posted : 26 February 2018 21:36:32

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

That looks stunning Graeme, lovely work.Love

Mark
arpurchase
#33 Posted : 26 February 2018 21:39:41

BigGrin Looking good and nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#34 Posted : 26 February 2018 22:30:04

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Really looking good Graeme, attention to detail is fab.....Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
pemberg
#35 Posted : 05 March 2018 15:40:34

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

The cockpit parts were given a coat of Klear followed by a wash of burnt umber oil paint. This was left to dry before applying a coat of matt varnish, Pic 32, 33 & 34. The effect of the wash looks a lot more pronounced in the pictures than in real life.

While test fitting the cockpit tub into one of the fuselage halves I found that the part fitted above the top of the pedals was too far forward. On examining pictures of the completed Aires cockpit on the web I found that although I had fitted it where the instructions clearly show its position to be, (Pic 35 shows the instructions and Pic 23 shows mine), it is in fact fitted on the ledge immediately behind the instrument panel. I managed to free the part and pedals and re-position them correctly, Pic 36.

The right hand cockpit side was then glued to the tub using epoxy glue, Pic 37, followed by the left hand side, Pic 38.

Now for the fun part, fitting the cockpit into the kit fuselage. This is an area where the Aires instructions are non-existent. All the instructions say is “Thinning of the plastic parts and dry fitting of the assembly needed.” This is an understatement as I found a certain amount of surgery is required on the Tamiya parts. First, the moulded-on ribbing inside the fuselage halves where the cockpit will sit needed to be removed, Pic 39.

Pic.40 shows the windscreen sill being scraped flush with the inside of the fuselage, the area in the nose coloured black in Pic.41 had to be removed, Pic.42, so that the cockpit would sit far enough forward and the areas arrowed in Pic.42 had to be thinned. Part of the rib on the lower central wing section also had to be removed, Pics 43 & 44. Finally parts of the cockpit had to be given a sanding to get the final fit as can be seen in Pic.38.

Pic.45 shows the cockpit temporarily fitted into the fuselage.

Graeme
BB-32.JPG
BB-33.JPG
BB-34.JPG
BB-35.JPG
BB-36.JPG
BB-37.JPG
BB-38.JPG
BB-39.JPG
BB-40.JPG
BB-41.JPG
BB-42.JPG
BB-43.JPG
BB-44.JPG
BB-45.JPG
arpurchase
#36 Posted : 05 March 2018 17:29:24

BigGrin Very nice work and looking good with shoe horning the cockpit inCool

mogwai
#37 Posted : 05 March 2018 18:09:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi that looks great,some great detail going into this,cheers mick.BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
jase
#38 Posted : 06 March 2018 07:51:14

thats a nice business like cockpit. coming along great Cool
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
CaptnBirdseye
#39 Posted : 06 March 2018 10:25:01

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Impressive detail you've got there with that cockpit. Keep it coming!

Regards
Gray
Markwarren
#40 Posted : 06 March 2018 10:51:20

Wow, that is some impressive work Graeme.Love

Mark