Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Coral VASA Deck Section Options
Gandale
#1 Posted : 07 January 2018 12:15:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Build of the Year 2018 Entry

Thought it was time to throw my hat into the ring for this year’s competition and after much deliberation have decided to do Coral’s 1/24 Gun Deck section of the Swedish Warship WASA. A much sought after kit but normally at inflated prices. The kit reproduces a sector of the left bulwarks, part of the deck and underlying battery deck. Apart from the hull structure special emphasis has been paid to the cannon and gun carriage together with all the relevant equipment to make this as accurate as possible at the time of production.

The fittings and ornaments provided are all hardwood or metal with a photoetch brass sheet for the swords and other items. Written instructions are very basic but the drawings/plans are excellent and hopefully will build up into a very nice display piece.

A couple of pics have been provided for now and more will be shown as the build progresses. Will be starting this very soon, just as soon as I have everything I need…..

Regards

Alan
Gandale attached the following image(s):
DSCF4269.JPG
DSCF4273.JPG
DSCF4274.JPG
DSCF4270.JPG
DSCF4272.JPG
DSCF4271.JPG
Tomick
#2 Posted : 07 January 2018 12:31:52

Groups:

Great to see another BotY2018 entry, if the quality of this build is anything like your Victory ships Launch, it should be a fantastic end result., good luck with the entry Cool
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 07 January 2018 18:09:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

I love these deck sections, superb detail.

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool

Good luck with your entry.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

ian smith
#4 Posted : 07 January 2018 18:14:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Alan.
look forward to seeing this one come together.
Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
magpie1832
#5 Posted : 07 January 2018 19:12:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice choice of kit Alan, Look forward to seeing this progress. Good luck with your build.

Chris Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

arpurchase
#6 Posted : 07 January 2018 20:08:03

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Nice looking kit and good luck with the compCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

jase
#7 Posted : 09 January 2018 08:37:56

I have been offered this kit in the passed and its been on ebay every now and then, but as you say the cost can put you off a bit about £125 on average in the UK and when you consider the Panart HMS Victory Bow Section is about £170 and you appear to get so much more for the addition £45, its been enough to not take the plunge.

None the less the quality of the kit looks great, certainly an opportunity to go to town with hull planking and get the nailing done to an authentic pattern, Looking forward to seeing what you come up with

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#8 Posted : 09 January 2018 10:54:14

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Thanks everyone, hoping to make a start soon.....

Regards

Alan
Tomick
#9 Posted : 09 January 2018 11:17:13

Groups:

jase wrote:
the cost can put you off a bit about £125 on average in the UK and when you consider the Panart HMS Victory Bow Section is about £170 and you appear to get so much more for the £45
You can’t compare the two in terms of content as they are very different kits. The Corel Vasa deck kit currently commands a high selling price as it’s been out of production for many years and is now a collectors kit by comparison of the Panart Victory bow kit, which is a current kit.

Am sure that in Alan’s hand’s the Vasa deck section will very well compliment the Vasa ship kit when it comes along in Feb/March Cool
pemberg
#10 Posted : 09 January 2018 12:16:33

Nice choice of kit, I'm sure you will make a great job with it.

Graeme
Gandale
#11 Posted : 17 January 2018 21:53:39

After spending some considerable amount of time just going through the plans and materials I thought it was about time to at least make a start on this one. My first conclusion after studying this was a realisation that this is not a kit for the beginner or feint hearted, it is what I would class as a model builders kit and not simply a kit of gluing parts together. In fact the instructions do come with a statement warning potential builders that they will not be able to construct this kit simply by referring to plans and personal experience alone. You have to work in conjunction with the written instructions which are pretty basic to say the least, they're simply a guide. Now I believe it.

First part I thought we'd get underway was the cannon and gun carriage and this post will just outline the immediate problems I've found and I haven't started building it yet.....Huh Huh . The base of the cannon was found to have uneven sides and these will require straightening off. You will also see that the base is by no means symetrical, whoever cut this out must have had a heavy evening in the pub beforehand. When you see this it makes you appreciate kits that come with lazer cut parts. The pics clearly show how much needs to be done in order to put this right unless I want a wonky gun carriage.... It is so far out that I do have concerns whether this piece is actually viable, we'll see

You will also see the cannon sides, although a little better, they too require a degree of work to ensure they match up with each other but shouldn't present too much of a problem.

The cannon itself is 11cm of turned brass, very nicely done but I think you'll see the problem with the pivot when looking at the pic, the pivot is not a separate piece.

Now its a case of lets see how we get on.... till next time....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
DSCF4387.JPG
DSCF4388.JPG
DSCF4390.JPG
DSCF4391.JPG
DSCF4396.JPG
DSCF4397.JPG
DSCF4398.JPG
DSCF4393.JPG
DSCF4394.JPG
DSCF4395.JPG
Gibbo
#12 Posted : 17 January 2018 22:32:30

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

WOW, looks like you certainly have your work cut out Alan, but it is in very good hands, looks like it's gonna be a cracker.
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
Markwarren
#13 Posted : 17 January 2018 23:48:09

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice start Alan, doesn’t look easy, but I’m sure it will be a cracking build in your hands.BigGrin

Mark
jase
#14 Posted : 18 January 2018 07:36:27

Nice little challange lookingnrorward to your progress
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Martyn Ingram
#15 Posted : 18 January 2018 07:37:18

BigGrin Yep typical Corel attention to detail but I have no doubt you will overcome the difficulties Alan . Good luck with the build m8 Cool
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
delboy271155
#16 Posted : 18 January 2018 07:46:48

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

I really wish you well with this one Alan.

You`ve really gonna have your work cut out and I`m sure the cut will be better than some of those parts.Crying Crying

In the motor trade they used to call it the Friday afternoon job. Get it done quick and lets get home for the weekend.

Best of luck. BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Tomick
#17 Posted : 18 January 2018 08:11:30

Groups:

Good to see another Buiild if the Year 2018 entry underway.

Looks a challenging kit but then again you would never want it to be an easy or 5 minute build and looks far from that.

Good luck Cool
arpurchase
#18 Posted : 18 January 2018 11:20:09

BigGrin Nice to see your on your way and nice startCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#19 Posted : 18 January 2018 12:07:51

Thanks guys.... Don't get me wrong here, it's not my intention to bring the kit down in any way, it is me trying to show that with these older type kits a good degree of work and finishing has to be applied in order to achieve a good result and as we progress through the build you will hopefully see what I mean. The kit is really nice, the quality of the wood and etch is really good but the finishing and cut is not what you would expect in modern kits so this one will take time..... It will test me but that is what I enjoy.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Gandale
#20 Posted : 19 January 2018 00:35:38

Positive progress has been made on the carriage base and sides, now think I have achieved something that can be classed as presentable. At least now the base is symmetrical and the sides are both the same..... BigGrin BigGrin

On the base, two 5mm channels were created to accommodate the axles, this was done using a small square needle file and a lot of care.... Piece was then sanded smooth. Once happy with the two side panels, 2mm holes were drilled in each for the slings, again both were sanded smooth to finish.

Next stage was to start work on the axles. Cut two pieces from a 6 x 6mm strip of beach. Strange they supplied 6 x 6mm for this rather than 5 x 5mm as the plans call for 5mm sqare, so these two pieces had to be reduced to 5mm square. The size is important as they have to fit the channels in the base plus any larger and some pieces of the brass etch will not fit. The two pieces are not identical due to the shape of the base and the masking is there so it can be seen when inserted into my lathe, so the axle ends can be rounded off for the fitting of the wheels.....Cool Cool .. This will be left until the next build session......Cool

Cheers

Alan
DSCF4399.JPG
DSCF4403.JPG
DSCF4400.JPG
DSCF4401.JPG
DSCF4402.JPG
DSCF4404.JPG