Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
RAF100 Build Entry - Tony's Curtiss Tomahawk Mk.II 1:48 Options
birdaj2
#1 Posted : 07 January 2018 14:51:09

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

RAF100 Build Entry - Tony's Curtiss Tomahawk Mk.II 1:48

Once all the parts arrive this is were i will post my build updates..

https://www.airfix.com/u...omahawk-mk-iib-1-48.html
Happy Modelling

BUILDING: Hachette Spitfire Mk 1A, Constructo Mayflower
SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
COMPLETED: Porsche 911, E-Type Jaguar, Lam Countach
ModelMania
#2 Posted : 07 January 2018 15:37:49

Groups:

Hello Tony,

Knew you wouldn't be able to resist and such a great subject to enter the competition with too, I love the Tomahawk, such a great shape! Will you be finishing it in the European or Desert scheme?

Looking forward to following your build mate and good luck in the competition. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
birdaj2
#3 Posted : 07 January 2018 15:48:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

ModelMania wrote:
Hello Tony,

Knew you wouldn't be able to resist and such a great subject to enter the competition with too, I love the Tomahawk, such a great shape! Will you be finishing it in the European or Desert scheme?

Looking forward to following your build mate and good luck in the competition. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Hi Kev.

No firm decision as yet but i can tell you i have the following decal set (be just my luck if these come with the kit) and at this stage rather like the Bomber Defence Training markings and in particular the colour scheme that one uses.

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48163
Happy Modelling

SUBSCRIPTION COMPLETE (Awaiting building): USS Constitution, Sovereign of the Seas, 1:200 Bismarck (Hachette)
tigerace
#4 Posted : 07 January 2018 16:41:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great looking kit Tony BigGrin never built or even seen one of these builtConfused so will follow with interestBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Tomick
#5 Posted : 07 January 2018 19:21:37

Groups:

Great to see another RAF100 entry, good luck with the build Cool
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 07 January 2018 19:27:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice model Tony, good luck in the comp.BigGrin

Mark
ian smith
#7 Posted : 07 January 2018 20:04:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks a nice kit Tony. good luck with your Build.
Ian Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
arpurchase
#8 Posted : 07 January 2018 20:10:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looks a good kit and good luck in the compCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

ModelMania
#9 Posted : 07 January 2018 23:26:27

Groups:

birdaj2 wrote:
Hi Kev.

No firm decision as yet but i can tell you i have the following decal set (be just my luck if these come with the kit) and at this stage rather like the Bomber Defence Training markings and in particular the colour scheme that one uses.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48163

Yeah, that's a nice scheme Tony, should look very cool when finished. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile

Gandale
#10 Posted : 08 January 2018 00:27:15

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Good luck with the comp Tony, look forward to seeing it come together.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#11 Posted : 08 January 2018 05:15:00

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Nice choice Tony.

Cool Love Cool

Good luck with the Comp..

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

CaptnBirdseye
#12 Posted : 09 January 2018 13:37:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Tony,
Nice choice of build. Excited to see what you do with it. Good luck with your build and the comp.
Regards Gray
birdaj2
#13 Posted : 09 January 2018 19:10:15

Thanks Gray.

A few bits and pieces have started to arrive so as soon as its sll together i will pist some pictures of what i have and then make a start.
Happy Modelling

ModelMania
#14 Posted : 12 January 2018 21:03:16

Groups:

Good luck with the build Tony. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
birdaj2
#15 Posted : 12 January 2018 21:13:07

Kev

Many thanks.

Kit arrived today and some of the bits and pieces so will get some pictures done over the weekend.

Its becoming quite International because some of the bits i wanted (more importantly at the price i am prepared to pay BigGrin ) are cheaper including shipping to get from Poland and another item from Australia.
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#16 Posted : 14 January 2018 20:00:48

SUNDAY 14th January 2018 1:48 Airfix Tomahawk

Over the course of the last week nearly all of the bits and pieces for my Tomahawk build along with the actual kit itself have arrived.

There are still a few items to arrive and I want to assemble all of the parts before I make my final decision on what markings to put on this kit. 99% sure of what I want to do but as that version requires a change to some of the parts I want to see what these updates look like when they arrive. If no good then I go with one of the other marking setups.

Ok so onto the kit itself and what you get for your money.

BOXING

What did surprise with this one is we get a nice Union Flag in the bottom right corner of the box top not just declaring “Designed in Britain but also Made in Britain”. Now I am not sure if this is a change to all Airfix production or just a one off because some of the few kits I have purchased over the last few years while designed in Britain have actually been made either in India or China.

The Box art on this one is very much keeping with the Airfix heritage and the type of artwork produced for them by Roy Cross. On this occasion we have the aircraft in the markings of 26 Squadron flying over a German airfield. Presuming on a photo recon mission as this aircraft does carry a sideways looking camera.

INSTRUCTIONS

Not a great deal to be said other than they appear very clear and easy to follow. They are printed in Greyscale with callouts to the sections you are working on printed in Red.

With this kit you get 2 marking options:

No 26 Squadron RAF Army Cooperation Command Gatwick Sussex England 1941
No 112 Squadron RAF Libya 1941 Flown by Sgt William Earl Houston

This section of the instructions is printed in full colour with paint call outs for colours in the Humbrol range

DECALS

All nicely in register and matt finished. What is nice is they look and feel very thin. Now that is the preferred option but overlaying this onto a camo base will mean watching out for how well they block the colour they are laid over.

PARTS TREES

Similar to a few other manufacturers Airfix individually bag the clear parts but these along with the kit trees are then all placed onto one large bag and sealed. In my example the packing is very tight so little chance of the individual trees rubbing against each other in transit and get marked.

As Excess plastic packing is major news at the moment I have no issues with Airfix’s choice of packing.

In this kit there are 3 parts trees plus the clear parts. The parts are all flash free and from initial looks I cannot see any pin ejector marks in places that would cause issues when building the model.

Going back to some earlier Airfix kits I have had in recent years I was a bit concerned that the plastic might turn out to be the very soft, lightish blue stuff they had used for a short while but no we have now moved onto a much harder plastic which would come as no surprise to people used to making Tamiya kits for instance.

My other initial concern, not knowing this kit in detail, was the fear that the engraved panel lines might be overdone (again something Airfix came under criticism for some years back). Pleased to say the panel lines look spot on. Nicely in scale and all even on each area of the kit.

As to the clear parts we get the option of having an open or closed cockpit. The parts are incredible thin and amazingly clear. I could not see any blemishes on the parts I have and what did surprise me was just how shiny these are straight from the box.

Ok, well thats the base kit I will be using. Next up I will show some of the parts I have added to upgrade the model and also to give me some parts to add to a mini diorama should I actually get to that point of the build 😊

birdaj2 attached the following image(s):
DSCF1989.JPG
DSCF1990.JPG
DSCF1991.JPG
DSCF1992.JPG
DSCF1993.JPG
DSCF1994.JPG
DSCF1995.JPG
DSCF1996.JPG
DSCF1997.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#17 Posted : 14 January 2018 20:22:56

ALTERNATIVE MARKINGS

This is the Xtradecal Set “Early Curtis P-40’s Pt2”.
The markings that caught my eye are those for AH822, “PB. F” of 1683 (Bomber Defence Training) Flight RAF based at RAF Bruntingthorpe May 1944.

The paint finish is in “RAF Day Fighter” colours and AK Interactive have a 4-bottle paint set that give the 4 main colours. I have a set on order that I am still waiting to arrive.

The reason that I have not 100% decided on this scheme is that according to the decal instructions this particular aircraft would have Fish Tail exhaust outlets.

I have ordered something I hope will fit this model but its not guaranteed as they are not listed for use against this particular kit.

DSCF1998.JPG
DSCF1999.JPG
DSCF2001.JPG
DSCF2002.JPG
Happy Modelling

birdaj2
#18 Posted : 14 January 2018 20:38:30

BIG ED SET

While at first view it might beg the question why bother with this as it duplicates some of the other parts I have purchased I wanted the Dropped flaps etch set.

Depending from were you get just this one set you could be looking at over £21.00 just for the flaps kit.

I picked up the BIG ED set for not much more and it includes the canopy masking, internal and external detail parts, the dropped flaps set and seat belts.
DSCF2015.JPG
DSCF2016.JPG
DSCF2018.JPG
Happy Modelling

tigerace
#19 Posted : 14 January 2018 20:58:11

Great find and buy TonyBigGrin all this etch is going to be fun for everyoneBlink regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

birdaj2
#20 Posted : 14 January 2018 21:00:55

BITS AND BOBS

I have also added a number of aftermarket parts that may find their way onto the build.

Might seem odd to purchase parts that may or may not be used but to be honest must of these are relatively inexpensive but WHAT IS expensive is the postage. So, I would rather weigh up the costs and get what I need under one postage charge rather than order something that costs say £3.00 only to see the postage comes out the same.

I have added the follows:

Eduard Brassin Wheel set.

Eduard Brassin Exhausts. And its these they will determine which version I build. For the model I want to make it needs fish tail exhausts. I have a set on order but depending on how they look and more importantly fit will determine which route I take.

Seat Belt Set. This looks really interesting as all of the buckles, connectors and other fittings are in etch with the actual belts being in a type of plastic material. Looks like a mini project in its own right but if they actually work the finished result should be really nice.

Camouflage Painting Masks – Really designed for one of the other paint schemes and these may be pulled into action depending on which version I finally go for.

Master turned brass gun barrels. Not just barrels in the pack but also the tiniest shaped brass piece I think I have ever seen in the form of the “Dot” marker that sits in from of the gun sight. These too are included as etched parts but not shown in the picture.
These parts really are tiny.

Yahu Instrument Panel. Not a very good picture but this really is a fantastically finished piece.

Still too arrive I have the resin wheel well set for this model
DSCF2004.JPG
DSCF2005.JPG
DSCF2006.JPG
DSCF2008.JPG
DSCF2010.JPG
DSCF2009.JPG
DSCF2011.JPG
DSCF2012.JPG
Happy Modelling