Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

13 Pages 123>»
Anakin Skywalker's Podracer Diorama Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 07 January 2018 19:24:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Build of the Year 2018 Entry
After much deliberation on what to build for the BOTY 2018, I have made my decision. Here it is. Staying with the diorama and Star Wars theme as I did last year, I will be building Anakin’s pod racer. The kit is not as good as the Bandai kits, but it is well detailed, although a lot of sanding and filling will be necessary. I plan to build it on a desert sandy/rocky display, and yes, I will be adding some lighting in both the engines and Anakin’s pod display console. I have also looked into having the front turbine spinning, buts let’s not get ahead of myself, still yet to work out how this will be done.
More soon.

Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 01.jpg
Photo 02.jpg
Photo 03.jpg
ian smith
#2 Posted : 07 January 2018 19:54:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi Mark.
Looks like a nice kit.
Ian BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Tomick
#3 Posted : 07 January 2018 20:09:02

Groups:

Can’t wait to see what you do with this, good luck with your Build of the Year 2018 entry Cool
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 07 January 2018 20:09:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looks good will be following and good luck in the compCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

darbyvet
#5 Posted : 07 January 2018 20:27:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

ooh this will be epic for sure.The kit is a bit of a dog with not that great fit and detail, but in your hands it will be transformed into a masterpiece.Good luck in the competition!!!

Carl

Markwarren
#6 Posted : 07 January 2018 20:43:45

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Thanks guys, appreciate your support. Carl, there will be a lot of work and playing around with the kit, but I like a challenge.BigGrin

Mark
pemberg
#7 Posted : 07 January 2018 20:57:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Should be an interesting build Mark, I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Graeme
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 28 January 2018 19:11:45

So, I have made a start on the diorama. I have decided I need to look at the lighting and electrical parts of the model first, as these will need to be applied before a lot of the assembly.
The first thing, was to hollow out the dashboard/instrument panel as this is where I will be placing SMD lighting. I have also scratch made a case to enclose the lighting so not to bleed through to the rest of the cockpit. The fourth picture shows it housed in the top canopy.
Next, I glued the two sides of the bottom hull and carved out the inside to allow the wires to be placed under the cockpit.
I have also started sanding the seam line on the bottom of the hull section. The hole on the bottom is where the wire is fitted to display on the original stand, however, I will not be using the stand or the wire, so this will be filled and sanded.
Photo 04.jpg
Photo 05.jpg
Photo 06.jpg
Photo 07.jpg
Photo 08.jpg
Photo 09.jpg
Photo 10.jpg
Photo 11.jpg
Markwarren
#9 Posted : 28 January 2018 19:13:22

Before I start making the SMD lights, I thought I would start on the turbines on the two engine parts. The first picture shows some of the materials I will be using. There is a medicine syringe, of which I will be using the end cup part to encase the motor. The picture also shows 2 micro motors that are for a small drone and some plastic tubes. As you can see in picture 2, the small sprue parts attached to a piece of the model will be used for the motor arm. I made a small hole in these pieces, attached them to the motor arm and sanded them circular whilst the motor was spinning.
I then cut the medical cup to size, and attached that and the sprue to the motor. I then cut a small piece of the round plastic as shown and glued it into the outer turbine fan.

All the parts were then painted their base colour. This was done so not to get any paint in the motor. The yellow nose cone was then glued to the outer fan. The medical cup part that encases the motor was then glued to the inside of the main turbine fan and left to dry.
Finally, the nose and outer fan was the placed onto the motor arm, which was a tight fit and tested to make sure everything was central.

The last pictures show the fans working when tested with a battery.

More soon

Photo 13.jpg
Photo 12.jpg
Photo 12a.jpg
Photo 15.jpg
Photo 14.jpg
Photo 16.jpg
Photo 17.jpg
Photo 18.jpg
Photo 19.jpg
Photo 21.jpg
Photo 24.jpg
Photo 25.jpg
Photo 23.jpg
tigerace
#10 Posted : 28 January 2018 19:47:14

Sorry i missed your start MarkBlushing but great updateBigGrin love the pod racerDrool Drool will followCool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

ModelMania
#11 Posted : 28 January 2018 21:22:36

Groups:

A very nice start to your build Mark, I'm always fascinated with the way that modellers go about electrifying and lighting a model which isn't originally intended to be.

Very well done, following with interest and good luck in the competition. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
arpurchase
#12 Posted : 28 January 2018 23:13:11

BigGrin Looking good and those fans will look beast when running on the finished modelCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

jase
#13 Posted : 28 January 2018 23:40:55

Some great detail on the pod racer, love the engine rigged up to batteries

Fab!!Cool

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
delboy271155
#14 Posted : 29 January 2018 00:16:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Great start and very interested to see how this goes on.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Can`t wait to see how this is made to look like it`s flying.Drool

Not rushing you, honestly. LOL LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Spal
#15 Posted : 29 January 2018 00:18:18

Great start Mark, those fans look great Cool

Al
darbyvet
#16 Posted : 29 January 2018 01:47:42

This going to be epic.Great work already

Carl

Metal Mech
#17 Posted : 29 January 2018 03:36:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That’s awesome with the fans spinning. I hope there is a video in the future.

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
Markwarren
#18 Posted : 29 January 2018 08:39:42

Thank you everyone for your kind word, and looking in. I’ll put up a video when some more of the lighting has been done.BigGrin

Mark
Tomick
#19 Posted : 29 January 2018 08:53:47

Groups:

Good to see a start on the Build of the Year entry, good luck Cool
ian smith
#20 Posted : 29 January 2018 15:26:42

Looking very good mark.Cool BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.