Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

13 Pages <1234>»
Anakin Skywalker's Podracer Diorama Options
roymattblack
#21 Posted : 29 January 2018 15:32:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

It's great to see something a bit different.
Looking really impressive.

Roy.
pemberg
#22 Posted : 29 January 2018 16:12:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Great start and some ingenious scratch building going on, I look forward to seeing it progress.

Graeme
Markwarren
#23 Posted : 29 January 2018 22:54:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Thank you for your support and looking in guys.Blushing
Just thought I would post the video of the turbine in action.Cool

Turbine Motor

Mark
Gandale
#24 Posted : 30 January 2018 00:23:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

This is looking fab already Mark, excellent update......Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#25 Posted : 12 February 2018 14:31:25

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Not a lot of modelling been done over the last week, as I have been laid up in bed with this flu virus, and boy did it hit me for six, and I’m not normally one to moan about man flu.
Anyway, first up was to make a start on those turbine engines. This kit, as previously stated, is not the best fitting kit out there, so a lot of filling and sanding is going to be needed. Before I can start to paint the engines, I need to fit the lighting effects inside. Normally you get to build part of kit before you make a start on any addition, but with this, it has to be done first.
Each engine comes in 4 pieces, as you can see in the first few pictures, I have glued two of the parts together to get two halves for each turbine.
Then I attached a small plastic tube which will hold the red LED for the lighting effect that holds the two engines together during flight. Next, I made two plastic rings and drilled a 3mm hole in the centre, to hold the orange LED in place. The final picture shows it all glued in place along with some other internal parts.
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 26.jpg
Photo 27.jpg
Photo 28.jpg
Photo 29.jpg
Photo 30.jpg
Photo 31.jpg
Photo 32.jpg
Markwarren
#26 Posted : 12 February 2018 14:32:45

These next pictures show the parts painted and ready for the lighting effects to be added. I have painted the internal parts black, to stop any light bleed and the end silver to reflect the internal exhaust section.
Before I made the LED wiring loom, I needed to work out how and where the cables are going to exit the engine tube. The original model has ridged wires that hold them on the display stand, but these will now need to be replaced with some tubing where the cables will feed through to the base.
I then made up the lower half of the engine assembly and test fitted to see where I will be placing a hole for the cables to pass through. You can see in the picture the tubing that will be used, test fitted in place. The final pictures show the exit holes for the cables.
Photo 33.jpg
Photo 34.jpg
Photo 35.jpg
Photo 36.jpg
Photo 37.jpg
Photo 38.jpg
Markwarren
#27 Posted : 12 February 2018 14:33:55

Now onto the wiring loom. I used 3mm flickering red and orange LED bulbs that are attached to a thin copper coated cable. I used this type of cable as it will be easier to push through the narrow tubing. There is also another cable from the motor that will also need to be passed through the tubing. The motor part that I made earlier will not be fitted until most of the detail painting is done on the main turbine part. The thin copper cable for this will be passed up into the internal part, pushing it through to the front, where it will be connected before glued into place, in case anyone thought I had forgotten that part.LOL
These last pictures show the two halves for each engine put together with the wiring and LED’s in place. As you can see, I have primed the final parts, ready for the filler and sanding before any painting can begin. I have also done a small video showing the flickering effect in both lights.

Engine Lighting Test

Until the next time, happy modelling

Photo 39.jpg
Photo 40.jpg
Photo 41.jpg
Photo 42.jpg
Photo 44.jpg
Photo 45.jpg
Photo 43.jpg
darbyvet
#28 Posted : 12 February 2018 15:33:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Looks great.I am always amazed how you fit the electronics in these kits.I saw the actual filming prop at Disney last week.It is on loan from the Lucas archives to Disney.They had the prop that Annakin sat in and a small scale model used for filming.I tried to take some photos, but the glass case made it really tough to get good pics.I can post what I have if you are interested.

Carl

Markwarren
#29 Posted : 12 February 2018 15:43:52

That would be excellent Carl, if you could. I have been getting some reference pictures from the film itself. There also seems to be a discrepancy with where the decals of the model state they should go on the pod. The reference pictures show something different.

Thanks
Mark

darbyvet
#30 Posted : 12 February 2018 16:11:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

here you go buddy.Sorry they are not better quality.there was a mix of natural light and spotlights and a ton of glare off the glass enclosure.

darbyvet attached the following image(s):
pod1.jpg
pod2.jpg
pod3.jpg
pod4.jpg
pod5.jpg
pod6.jpg
pod7.jpg
pod8.jpg
tigerace
#31 Posted : 12 February 2018 16:47:21

Looking great MarkDrool BigGrin love it CarlDrool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

ian smith
#32 Posted : 12 February 2018 16:49:34

Hi mark.
looking very good. love the lighting effects.
Ian Cool BigGrin Drool
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Spal
#33 Posted : 12 February 2018 16:50:56

Nice job on the engine effects Mark Cool

Al
Markwarren
#34 Posted : 12 February 2018 17:06:11

Many thanks for the comments guys and your support.BigGrin
Thank you for the pictures Carl, they confirm the positioning of the decals are different to the instructions given.ThumpUp

Many thanks
Mark
arpurchase
#35 Posted : 12 February 2018 18:18:40

BigGrin Looking very nice and great workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#36 Posted : 12 February 2018 23:09:35

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great progress being made Mark, she's looking fab and love the effects with the lighting.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Tomick
#37 Posted : 13 February 2018 08:49:57

Groups:

Love the effects and an enthralling build to watch come together Cool
Markwarren
#38 Posted : 13 February 2018 09:05:40

Thank you everyone for you comments and support. I’ve been making some drawings of how I want it to look on the diorama, and how to hide the tubes that contain the cables and which also holds the model in place. I have an idea.ThumpUp

Mark
Markwarren
#39 Posted : 17 February 2018 15:24:00

This next instalment was to get the engines to the point where I can start painting some colour and detail. First, I spent several hours filling and sanding the seam lines. This was quite difficult as I didn’t want to rub away any of the detailing. The engine was primed, filled, sanded and primed again. Once I was happy, I then gave them both a coat of some metalcote paint. This will be the base colour I will start with.

Photo 47 - Copy.jpg
Markwarren
#40 Posted : 17 February 2018 15:26:22

The next step was to start with the rear of the engine cowling. As you can see in the first picture, the inner rim is quite thick, and this will need to be sanded down. The other issue I had was the assembly of the back section. The next few pictures show how it is pieced together and that the inner ring, that is needed for the assembly to work, is a solid piece and will block the lighting effect I have created.
So, to the Ferrero Rocher chocolates. The plastic case they came in was used and 2 rings were cut using the original as a template. This was not as easy as you would think. The plastic box is very brittle and took several attempts until I finally got two. A small 3mm hole was then carefully drilled in the centre of the ring to allow a 3mm rod to be pushed through. The rod was used so when gluing the back piece on, it made sure the piece was central. I then cut the rod to size once the glue had set.
Photo 48 - Copy.jpg
Photo 50.jpg
Photo 52.jpg
Photo 49.jpg
Photo 53.jpg
Photo 54.jpg
Photo 55.jpg
Photo 56.jpg
Photo 57.jpg
Photo 58.jpg
Photo 59.jpg