Issue 53 Sensor Test - My Results Options
LSainsbury
#1 Posted : 16 January 2018 14:08:45

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi,

So I've just built up to issue 53 and here are my sensor test results:

Connected up as per the magazine and test as per the magazine:

Held up the leg / sensor nothing was in the way - switched on battery pack and all the light flashed (test and went to normal test mode.

Blue light off...when the sensor detected an object with 2m the blue light came on. Repeated this a few times and all was good.

Then the blue light stayed on and regardless of weather an object was within 2m or not it stayed lit.

Does this indicate a problem as with everybody else??

pemberg
#2 Posted : 16 January 2018 15:08:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi

I have not experienced this myself. The first thing I would do is check all your connections and try new batteries, also make sure the circuit board isn't resting on anything metallic which could short out any connections.

Graeme
LSainsbury
#3 Posted : 16 January 2018 17:55:17

All the connections were checked - they are correct. My thought was on the batteries as well. I'll get some fully charged and post the results.

If not...do I just re-order the issues with the shoulder sensors?
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 16 January 2018 20:30:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi, if the batterys dont cure the problem by all means order a replacement sensor.

Another point to watch out for is the thin rubber wall that surrounds the sensor face this can be peeled back if not fitted correctly in the leg housing.

AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

LSainsbury
#5 Posted : 16 January 2018 20:46:43

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Hi, if the batterys dont cure the problem by all means order a replacement sensor.

Another point to watch out for is the thin rubber wall that surrounds the sensor face this can be peeled back if not fitted correctly in the leg housing.

AndyCool

I see some other members have been advised to order replacement sensors (for both legs), a test board and main board.

I noticed the the small rubber outer layer on the sensor when installing it...I made sure it was pushed though then pulled back slightly to make sure it was seated in the hole correctly.
semaj
#6 Posted : 17 January 2018 00:20:18

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

as you know i posted about my problems aswell a few days ago. im not going to start another debate about it.

its impossible to say which of the parts (in my case) may be faulty, as we just dont have the means or knowledge to test every single piece individually. i just played it safe and re ordered both sensors and both circuit boards.

when they arrive (in around 14 days) i shall try all the new parts together, and also various combinations of each part to see how my tests vary, if at all. if the new parts cure it then all is good.

sorry i cant help with your particular issue, good luck ThumpUp
Building:
Ghostbusters Ecto-1, Ford GT40, Gone in 60 seconds Eleanor mustang, Shelby Cobra
Complete:
R2D2, Red Bull RB7 RC, Battleship Bismarck, Shelby GT500 'super snake'
stevegbr
#7 Posted : 17 January 2018 01:15:32

Groups: New Members, Unapproved

seems to be a lot of builders having problems with the leg sensor, on facebook one said, the completed leg sensor failed, but the second leg sensor passed, will have to wait till i get the next delivery to check mine.

semaj
#8 Posted : 18 January 2018 13:15:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Have you got any further with this, or have you ordered replacements?
Building:
Ghostbusters Ecto-1, Ford GT40, Gone in 60 seconds Eleanor mustang, Shelby Cobra
Complete:
LSainsbury
#9 Posted : 18 January 2018 19:31:52

semaj wrote:
Have you got any further with this, or have you ordered replacements?

I'm going to re-test this weekend with fully charged batteries. If it does the same, then yes I'll be ordering sensors and boards.

BTW - I assume these are free if we are ordering potentially faulty part replacements?
Tomick
#10 Posted : 18 January 2018 19:57:23

Yes
semaj
#11 Posted : 18 January 2018 21:27:52

LSainsbury wrote:

I'm going to re-test this weekend with fully charged batteries. If it does the same, then yes I'll be ordering sensors and boards.

BTW - I assume these are free if we are ordering potentially faulty part replacements?

Cool. I tried new batts but it was still the same for me, so i assume something i have is faulty somewhere as i was told.

I rang the cs number in the mag, was quick and easy - just remember to have your subscriber number to hand, no biggie of you dont though. As tomick said, yeah replacements are free.
Building:
Complete:
Horlicks2018
#12 Posted : 20 January 2018 13:34:31

semaj wrote:
LSainsbury wrote:

Cool. I tried new batts but it was still the same for me, so i assume something i have is faulty somewhere as i was told.

I rang the cs number in the mag, was quick and easy - just remember to have your subscriber number to hand, no biggie of you dont though. As tomick said, yeah replacements are free.

They are going to wonder at C/S why everyone is ordering these parts again! Mine are en route aparently so looking forward to updating you all with my results with new circuitry, hopefull all will be solved :-)
Horlixs

#CRAFT #BUILD #CREATE

My Youtube
PartworkUpgrades

Tomick
#13 Posted : 20 January 2018 14:40:58

Horlicks2018 wrote:
semaj wrote:
LSainsbury wrote:

They are going to wonder at C/S why everyone is ordering these parts again!
Let’s keep this in perspective and not be alarmist. There are 1000’s across the world that are building this kit, your perception of “everyone” is not in fact everyone, it is in actual fact a very small number by comparison.
Horlicks2018
#14 Posted : 20 January 2018 21:38:16

Tomick wrote:
Horlicks2018 wrote:
semaj wrote:
LSainsbury wrote:

They are going to wonder at C/S why everyone is ordering these parts again!
Let’s keep this in perspective and not be alarmist. There are 1000’s across the world that are building this kit, your perception of “everyone” is not in fact everyone, it is in actual fact a very small number by comparison.

Yes yes ok Tomick it was a figure of speech. Nothing more. Cool
Horlixs

#CRAFT #BUILD #CREATE

My Youtube
PartworkUpgrades

LSainsbury
#15 Posted : 21 January 2018 13:17:15

Hi,

Well I've re-tested with fresh batteries and it's slightly better but I'd say still inconclusive.

The sensor detects at around 500mm (blue LED on) and goes off again when object is no detected. The sensor / LED is slow to react - probably just how it is. I did notice that the clicking sound has speeded up with fresh batteries.

Still - not going to take any chances. I'll re-order issues 20, 52, 53 just in case.

semaj
#16 Posted : 21 January 2018 17:31:47

If thats what you are getting, i would say that is correct. As long as the light activates around the 500mm sort of area your onto a winner. As has been mentioned, it is only a low power test, a check things are working i guess. Unlike mine that activates half way across my front room.

Cheers for keeping us updated!
Building:
Complete:
arpurchase
#17 Posted : 21 January 2018 21:58:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The sensor detects at around 500mm (blue LED on) and goes off again when object is no detected.

Sounds like the test is working as it should.

Still - not going to take any chances. I'll re-order issues 20, 52, 53 just in case.

Just be aware that the free replacement service is for the replacement of faulty parts only. If you are ordering replacement parts 'just in case' you should be back ordering and buying those issues needed.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

LSainsbury
#18 Posted : 21 January 2018 22:24:12

arpurchase wrote:
Just be aware that the free replacement service is for the replacement of faulty parts only. If you are ordering replacement parts 'just in case' you should be back ordering and buying those issues needed.

Yes understood - as I said - it was "better" but still not perfect. The LED was very slow to react - is this how it should be? I don't think that question has been asked yet.

arpurchase
#19 Posted : 21 January 2018 22:30:37

To repeat myself again its a simple basic test to see if the sensor is working only. Pushing the limits of a sensor beyond the test on low power is only going to give conflicting results.

LSainsbury
#20 Posted : 22 January 2018 19:10:01

arpurchase wrote:
To repeat myself again its a simple basic test to see if the sensor is working only. Pushing the limits of a sensor beyond the test on low power is only going to give conflicting results.

We hear you. :-)

R2 is not complete and fully functional until issue 100 and the main battery is installed. :-)