Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Query around 1st plank Options
ravager
#1 Posted : 17 January 2018 02:27:47

Groups: Registered

Howdy all,

Just two questions around planking. The keel (I think) is it suppose to sit flush with the first plank laid on the bottom of the boat. I have a little bit of variance across the ribs to the keel and am trying to work out if I should sand them all so the first plank sits flush. ie 2mm

Second question is with the planks that bend around the end ribs are they fairly straight or have a slight s bend in them keeping the back of the boat slightly curved. I can't really see any good pictures at a angle to judge this.

Cheers
Martyn Ingram
#2 Posted : 17 January 2018 07:25:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi mate if you could take some pictures of the keel and the stern I can see what's going on. Also what stage are you at Cool

Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
ravager
#3 Posted : 17 January 2018 07:41:24

Unfortunately I don't have a camera but as per tomicks post the first part of my query can be referenced in his picture

http://forum.us.model-sp...m/resource.ashx?a=13801

I am essentially asking if that first plank there sits flush the length of the ship as the gap on my ribs goes from flush to nearly 2mm. So if it suppose to sit flush with the planks I can evenly sand it so that it does.

2nd question referencing the build photos is about the curve of these planks around this area.
http://forum.us.model-sp...m/resource.ashx?a=14860

Do they all just have a gentle curve length ways or do they get nearly straight at some point or even a curve the opposite direction. I am just sanding the ribs in prep to starting planking and just want to get in my head how it is suppose to come out.
Martyn Ingram
#4 Posted : 17 January 2018 08:01:26

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Can you tell me which issue you are on and will have a look, cheers mate

Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe