Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages 123>»
Trev's HMS Victory Build Options
travoski
#1 Posted : 26 January 2018 11:13:06

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi All
I started building about 3 years ago but life got in my way,running a bussiness took most of my time working on site during the day paperwork in the evenings and weekends left no time for building it was always going to be a retirement project anyway so fast forward 3 years or so Bussiness closed after 27 yrs,Retired,home sold and packed up and moved to a small village next to the coast,Now ready to start building again space sort of set up and started where I left off finding all the bits and peieces has been relatively easy as I packed all my parts away as they arrived So here we go
travoski attached the following image(s):
DSCN0733.JPG
DSCN0732.JPG
If my ship's going down,I'm bloody well getting off
Spal
#2 Posted : 26 January 2018 12:59:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome back BigGrin hope you enjoy your build.

Al
travoski
#3 Posted : 27 January 2018 04:19:45

Thanx for the welcome
travoski
#4 Posted : 28 January 2018 08:59:13

Hull is now complete,she will move to the big workshop tomorrow for the fairing of the hull stage.I am dreading this part,I will also build some sort of jig to hold her upside down for the bottom planking
DSCN0737.JPG
DSCN0735.JPG
DSCN0738.JPG
z8000783
#5 Posted : 28 January 2018 09:03:25

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Unapproved

Hi again Trevor

Don’t skimp the fairing, it took me 2 weeks to complete this stage in the end. If you are in any doubt whether a section is ready or not, carry on. I broke the hull into 6 sections. Port and starboard, bows, stern and mid section. I also glued 3 planks together to give me a line across the whole length (you can use mortise and tenons for this). You need to use this plank to continuously to check each section you are working on and then the areas between sections across the whole length.

I found that, if any parts of the deck that were proud they could be taken back but, if the ribs were proud, leave them to be adjusted in line with their neighbouring ribs, not the deck which doesn't need to be built up. The other major problem I faced were ribs that were inset. These need to be built up before rubbing back again and sometimes they were badly off line especially the ubiquitous rib 14 if I remember rightly. However, you cannot leave these as they will ruin the look of the hull when you have finished planking especially in the areas above the decks. In the end mine worked out all good apart from one small bump on the bows below the water line but that has disappeared now that I have completed the tiling.

She has a gorgeous shape to her hull and deserves much care and attention at this stage.

Hope all that make sense and helps.

Good luck
travoski
#6 Posted : 28 January 2018 09:07:44

Thanx John
I have seen your build diary and your planking came out fantastic hope I can achieve results of this standard
Regards
Trev
travoski
#7 Posted : 28 January 2018 10:39:18

While I am doing my fairing I decided to build my 4 anchors to break the monotony so unpacked all four so I could have a production line so it seems my anchor components are all different different main rope 3 types and colors,two different ring colors one ring missing and only 3 lots of thin line to do the binding also different colors those that have gone before me have you had this problem and how did you solve it?
DSCN0739.JPG
DSCN0740.JPG
travoski
#8 Posted : 31 January 2018 06:09:54

Hull has been faired not sure if it is right but it looks ok so will continue,fitted first plank and built 4 x anchors I made bigger rings for the anchors and used different string as the supplied stuff was not the same for all four also the binding cotton was not enough so used something different may change it to brass strip later though
DSCN0741.JPG
DSCN0742.JPG
Gandale
#9 Posted : 31 January 2018 11:01:01

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Nice work so far... Difficult to say whether you have faired the hull enough simply going by the one pic you have posted however, if you follow the guidelines contained in the instructions and the Official build then you shouldn't go far wrong.....Cool Cool .. Look forward to your next update....

Regards

Alan
travoski
#10 Posted : 04 February 2018 12:31:12

Some progress since my last post six rows of planks on,marked out gun ports on one side and started cutting them out wow is this stage tedious
DSCN0747.JPG
DSCN0748.JPG
DSCN0749.JPG
Spal
#11 Posted : 04 February 2018 15:19:04

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Some good progress made, looks well BigGrin

Al
arpurchase
#12 Posted : 04 February 2018 19:15:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Starting to look like a ship now nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

ian smith
#13 Posted : 05 February 2018 22:14:51

Cool coming along nicely.BigGrin
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
Gibbo
#14 Posted : 05 February 2018 23:27:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Trev
Some of the long stages can be tedious and you want to get it done, but take your time and don't rush it, i'ts looking good.
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
travoski
#15 Posted : 06 February 2018 04:46:57

Thanx guys I put my ipod to play the whole Beatles collection yesterday and cut all the remaining gun ports on this first row listening to John,Paul,George and Ringo so I can start the next section now
Regards
Trev
travoski
#16 Posted : 06 February 2018 07:54:06

First row of gun ports cut and back transom shaped
DSCN0750.JPG
DSCN0751.JPG
Gandale
#17 Posted : 06 February 2018 09:36:01

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good, nice clean work all round....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
pemberg
#18 Posted : 06 February 2018 15:31:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice work, those gun ports look very neat.

Graeme
delboy271155
#19 Posted : 06 February 2018 19:07:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Looks very tidy.

Cool Cool Cool

May be harder to get the black writing off the wall though. LOL

Keep up the good work.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Martyn Ingram
#20 Posted : 06 February 2018 19:12:11

BigGrin Nice job on the gunports Trev Cool

Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe