Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

5 Pages «<2345>
Trev's HMS Victory Build Options
Garth
#61 Posted : 27 February 2018 06:31:08

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build
Groups: Registered

Hi Trevor,
Good job on your FIX. As John says, once all is sanded and painted it won't be noticed.
Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
Gibbo
#62 Posted : 27 February 2018 14:50:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Well repaired Trevor, that's going to look fine.
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
tigerace
#63 Posted : 27 February 2018 15:04:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Thats some top work TrevorDrool Drool well doneBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

DaDokta
#64 Posted : 28 February 2018 10:04:40

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Nice repair!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:
Revell B-24D Liberator 1:48

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
travoski
#65 Posted : 28 February 2018 12:22:10

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Hi Guys
Thanks for all the compliments it is appreciated
I have finished the upper planking and am starting on the bottom planking and I have two questions if I may
1) when tepering the bow planks
do I still taper the bottom edge of the plank assuming the hull is upside down
2) I have been playing around with the stern plank and I can't figure out where the first plank should end,I watched the video,I read the build log and I have read the instructions numerous times still none the wiser
Any help will be appreciated
Regards
Trevor
travoski attached the following image(s):
DSCN0781.JPG
DSCN0779.JPG
DSCN0780.JPG
If my ship's going down,I'm bloody well getting off
Gandale
#66 Posted : 28 February 2018 15:01:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Trevor, will come back to you on this however, I suggest you study the pics in the instructions, official build and video as I don't think you have faired the stern area enough. Can you post a couple of pics look straight at the stern.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan

gingerale75
#67 Posted : 28 February 2018 18:54:17

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Trevor,

I'm not sure that's how a pro would do the first plank at the stern but see my solution on my build diary.
https://forum.model-spac...amp;m=262942#post262942

I struggled with this one too because the twist/bend and the end of the plank is basically within 7-10 mm.
I only managed to do it if the end of the plank was soaked many times in hot water to make it really soft. I also used a flat plier to twist and bend the end of the plank, while hoping that it won't split too much (because it thinned from the 2mm to nearly 0.5mm)
I think I had to re-do these particular planks couple of time because they were always splitting.

I hope this help, but you might get even better advise from the experts.
Happy building!
Laszlo

Finished builds: HMS Victory, HMS Victory Cross-Section
Gandale
#68 Posted : 28 February 2018 22:50:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi Trevor,

On the tapering of your planks, the tapered edge of the plank is glued to its ajoining plank, this then leaves you with the straight edge of the tapered plank to glue your next plank on to....

On starting to plank the lower hull, you really need to study closely the text and pics within the Official build and the written instructions. The first plank around the stern is probably the trickiest one to do so you need to take your time with it. The plank will need to be chamfered along its edge just before where it starts to curve. It will also need to be bent and twisted so it sits in the right position. Don't try to bend and twist the plank at the end, what I did was to take a full length plank, soaked it in hot water and then applied the bend and twist closer to the centre of the plank. Pinned it in position (not glued) and left it to dry. Once dry then I removed the pins, cut and chamfered to get a good fit.

Am a little concerned about your shaping at the stern and to me it would appear you haven't taken off enough material. Looking at your first pic the profile from just under the gallery planks to the keel is where I see the problem. Again look at stage 33 of the official builds and study the pics of how the stern is shaped. If you can post up more pics of your stern from various angles then I think that would help tremendously.

https://forum.model-spac...aspx?g=posts&t=1573

Hope this helps..

Regards

Alan
travoski
#69 Posted : 01 March 2018 09:34:28

Hi all
Thanks for the input,I understand I may have to do a bit more sanding but I still do not understand where the first plank should end the pics in the manual do not show this clearly in my opinion anyway I have watched the video again but ..... maybe I am stupid which is not an impossibility anyway here are a couple extra pics
Regards
Trevor
DSCN0782.JPG
DSCN0784.JPG
DSCN0786.JPG
DSCN0787.JPG
Gandale
#70 Posted : 01 March 2018 10:05:11

Hi Trevor,

Thanks for the pics, it helps a lot and yes, you do have a lot more sanding to do on your stern to get the profile correct.

You are not asking a stupid question, getting the planking right around the transom area has given a lot of builders tricky moments so you're not alone in that front. Your first plank around the curve needs to end right under the last plank you fitted under the transom. Your pic shows you have bent the plank around the transom so now you need to apply almost a 90 degree twist from the line you have marked at the end of the plank as per attached pic. Once the twist is applied the lower edge of the plank will need to be chamfered (indicated by the red line in pic 5) to give the best fit to cover the area you have filled with filler.

Twist the end of the plank from the marked line then post a pic.....

Hope this helps.

Regards

Alan
Gandale attached the following image(s):
Trev.JPG
travoski
#71 Posted : 01 March 2018 11:24:21

Thanks for the info Alan
I have read this over and over again and understand the principle I think, I have attached another pic and drawn some lines on it as you said the plank has to end under the last plank on the transome now on my test plank as you can see it wraps around and ends up under the last plank on the transom now my problem if I am to put a twist and a champfer where is my plank gonna go in my mind my planking is too low which does not alow for this twist or maybe I should cut this plank at an angle and the next plank will get a twist and chanpferCursing
Regards
Trevor
stern drawing 2.jpg
Gandale
#72 Posted : 01 March 2018 12:38:13

Hi Trev,

Have taken your pic and indicated where the end of the plank should sit after you have applied the twist and chamfered the edge from just before where the twist starts....

Have also taken a spare plank to show the steps a little clearer. First pic shows the bend and how it would look. Second pic shows the twist applied at the bend with the black line showing where to chamfer the inner edge and the red line indicating where to cut to match the underside of the stern.

Regards

Alan
Gandale attached the following image(s):
Trev1.JPG
DSCF4569.JPG
DSCF4572.JPG
travoski
#73 Posted : 01 March 2018 15:17:08

Thanks Alan
I have been trying to see the pics you posted but only the one shows up I have refreshed the page logged out and back in still nothing even my pics are not showing up or just one of three it is so fustrating trying to see pics on the forum thankyou for your effort I have fitted the plank but it is no good SO I am going to have to redo it gonna take a break for now though
Regards
Trevor
travoski
#74 Posted : 02 March 2018 09:23:24

Hi All
Been having a break from building today but still built something
A prototype plank bender
A knockoff of the tin can bender seen on the forum,this one uses a copper pipe which does not get as hot as the tin can version what do you guys think
Regards
Trevor
DSCN0790.JPG
DSCN0791.JPG
DSCN0792.JPG
DaDokta
#75 Posted : 02 March 2018 09:47:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

The Problem is you did bend the plank - but you didn`t twist it.

As Alan showed in his pics there has to be an almost 90degree twist.

If you look at your own pics you can clearly see that the lower edge of the plank doesn`t follow the hull but is in the air - that`s because there is no twist.

With the right twist applied the plank will not run along the transom but go upwards - and then ending at the transom.

As to your bending device: there`s the Problem as well that you can bend the plank with it but not twist it.

There`s a much easier solution to bending:

Soak the plank in warm water (not too long - 3 to 5 minutes are enough!)
Now take a soldering iron and you can bend the plank in any direction quite easily.
And the best thing is - the plank will stay in the bent form - and you can achieve incredible radiusses (?) when doing it carefully!
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:

On the shelf:
Italeri "Fiat Mefistofele", Italeri "Moto Guzzi California", Fokker "Red Baron", Revell Bismarck, Revell Tirpitz, Arab Dow, Stage Coach, .....

Completed builds:
McLaren MP4/4, D-51 Steam Locomotive, HMS Victory, GWH F-15D Eagle, St. Stephen`s Cathedral (cardboard), Solar-powered paddle Steamer (little project with my son), HMS Victory X-section, "Geli" Phantom II (cardboard)
Gibbo
#76 Posted : 02 March 2018 11:29:09

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Very nicely done Trevor, you've taken Jack Aubreys plank bending tin can and taken it to another level, ingenious, well done.
Regards
Paul
Building: DelPrado HMS Victory. Building: DeAgostini Sovereign Of The Seas.
Garth
#77 Posted : 02 March 2018 11:42:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding build

Hi Trevor,

You are not alone with that plank - almost everybody has battled there.
Check out http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=23060 on how to modify a soldering iron into a plank bender.

Good luck.

Kind regards,
Garth
"Measure twice, cut once!!!"
Finished!!! HMS Victory,
Current build: Black Pearl.
On hold: Bismarck, Golden Hind, Flying Scotsman, Victory Cross Section, SOTS, Tiger 1.
Wish list: USS Constitution.
DaDokta
#78 Posted : 02 March 2018 12:37:16

I found some pics of my first stern-Planks - may be they help.

Also here`s a (german) link to the electric bender i use (mostly the small tip): Plank bender
DaDokta attached the following image(s):
IMG_2979.JPG
IMG_2980.JPG
IMG_2981.JPG
IMG_3014.JPG
IMG_3049.JPG
Greetings,
Walter

Present builds:

On the shelf:

Completed builds:
travoski
#79 Posted : 02 March 2018 15:00:29

Hi All
Thanks for the info guys, my bender I made just to bend the planks not for twisting as at the moment I have to get up and walk to the kitchen and use the kettle and then it's back and forth till I am done,Walter that bender looks good nothing like that is available here and the cost of shipping from overseas normally doubles the price of anything so not feasable your stern planking looks good so will keep your pic handy for reference.again thanx for the kind words of encouregment and have a great weekend
Regards
Trevor
Gandale
#80 Posted : 02 March 2018 18:47:55

Nice one Trevor, if you can't get the tools then sometimes you have to improvise. Well done on the plank bender, am sure you'll find it very useful....Cool

Regards

Alan