Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
R2-D2 Sensor Questions Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 26 January 2018 20:06:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

We have noted that a small number of people have been having problems with the issue 53 Leg Sensor test.

Noted below are guidance notes of some of the probable causes and would urge you to read carefully before presuming you have faulty parts.

The first is that you must only test the sensor after, NOT before you have assembled the sensor onto the leg assembly. The reason is that the sensors are very sensitive to the environment (i.e. the housing which enclose the sensor). The leg assembly must be correctly installed in order to achieve a good result.
Testing the assembly by holding it by your hand, will result in a faulty reading.

The second possible cause will be that the test board (PCB) has been damaged. These are easily damaged, caused by short circuit if the board sits on any conductive surface (metal) when power is on.

The third possible scenario is when the arm is placed horizontally on a table, and the distant between the sensor and the ceiling is less than 2 meters. We would urge you to make sure it is in an upright position as it would be on R2-D2 and as shown in the magazine.

The ultrasound beam is quite narrow, and you will need to place the obstacle directly in front of the sensor. The obstacle should also have a relatively large flat surface perpendicular to the beam. It probably won’t detect a pencil, but it should detect a book. Its purpose is to avoid running into walls or pieces of furniture.
Ultrasound detection is based on reflection, and if the beam is reflected to a different direction instead of back to the sensor, the sensor will not work.

The tests are also designed to test the circuitry only, under a low power mode. Full power will be achieved with the correct voltage battery once your R2 has been completed.

Should you still have problems with any of the parts once you have read the guidance notes, then please contact customer services for replacement. It is also worth noting that it may be the board that came with issue 52, that could be at fault rather than sensors.

Happy modelling

semaj
#2 Posted : 26 January 2018 21:07:39

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

when we follow the magazine and these guidelines here, are we just looking for the light to come on regardless of the distance, or should it only come on around 500mm as the instructions say?

as it has been discussed previously, my light comes on almost 3x the distance away (1.1-1.3m), i made a video if you wish to see it to ensure i am testing correctly. i have ordered replacements and they should be due to arrive any time now, i just want to be 100% clear on what it is i am looking for.
Building:
Ghostbusters Ecto-1, Ford GT40, Gone in 60 seconds Eleanor mustang, Shelby Cobra
Complete:
R2D2, Red Bull RB7 RC, Battleship Bismarck, Shelby GT500 'super snake'
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 27 January 2018 11:55:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

The 500mm as stated in the magazine is for guidance purposes and depending on the condition in which you are testing the sensor, this may vary as it has become apparent. We are just looking for the sensor to react as a test. By all means wait until you have the replacement parts but please follow the guideline as posted.
semaj
#4 Posted : 27 January 2018 15:07:03

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Markwarren wrote:
The 500mm as stated in the magazine is for guidance purposes and depending on the condition in which you are testing the sensor, this may vary as it has become apparent. We are just looking for the sensor to react as a test. By all means wait until you have the replacement parts but please follow the guideline as posted.

Thats great, thanks mark. So even though it comes on around 1.1m it dosent matter, its all good??

How would conditions affect testing a sound sensor though? I can understand different lighting conditions (i.e too bright) affecting the IR sensors (like your tv remote not working properly when its too bright) but what conditions can affect the sonic sensor if following these guides and instructions correctly?

I ask as i want to make sure i follow everything 100% correctly when my new parts arrive.
Building:
Ghostbusters Ecto-1, Ford GT40, Gone in 60 seconds Eleanor mustang, Shelby Cobra
Complete:
Lacutas
#5 Posted : 27 January 2018 15:17:06

Mine also comes on at 1.1m following the guidance notes above, i.e. in a fully assembled leg, tested vertically. I'm not ordering replacements given you seem to state this is expected, but just wanted it noted if at issue 100 I find out my R2 doesn't move an inch because of the sensor.
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 27 January 2018 20:02:06

I’ve tested mine this afternoon. The foot sensor works fine. The green light can come on if it is a reflective surface or if there is too much light in the room, but on carpet or normal flooring it was fine.
The shoulder sensor’s blue light came on around 1 metre away but when leaving it on and using the magazine as the wall moving it in and out, it then came on at around the 500mm as stated. I do think lighting for the foot sensor and the angle at which some are holding the obstacle, ie book, moving towards the shoulder sensor will a major contributing factor to the readings.
When it is finally finished with the correct battery installed, I’m sure it will all work as it is suppose to.

I also left the circuit boards in the plastic tray when testing, as it was safer and no chance of a short out, although they seem quite robust.
semaj
#7 Posted : 27 January 2018 20:17:31

Here is a link to a video i made of my test. As you can see i am following all the istructions mentioned here. Only thing different is my circuits are not in the plastic casings, but instead sat on a wood floor. All boards handled at the edges.

https://youtu.be/h5ZlzBVXWws

Its interesting that you found yours activating at 1m distance too, but when using the mag it came on at the 500 mark. Maybe i should use somethimg smaller than the binder i have used? I can understand something not held at the correct angle may scatter the sound reflected back, that is something i hadnt thought of. As you can see in my video i hold an r2 binder 90 degrees to the floor, and the leg is freestanding as described.
Building:
Complete:
Tomick
#8 Posted : 27 January 2018 20:37:38

Groups:

It be that the reflective nature of your binder is having effect.
Lacutas
#9 Posted : 27 January 2018 20:49:31

Tomick wrote:

I was using the magazine when testing and still getting activation out to 1100mm. Sorry to labour the point but it isn't 100% clear whether this is expected behaviour or not. I don't really want to disassemble the leg and order replacements if I don't have to. It's a waste of time for me and an extra cost for DeAgostini.

So to summarise, my tests do not reflect what is expected when following the instructions at the magazine (light should come on around 500mm). Is this expected or should I order replacement parts?

Sorry to be so blunt, but spending nearly £900 on this, and the instructions are less than clear. Especially with conflicting information in the the forum and in the magazine.
arpurchase
#10 Posted : 27 January 2018 21:04:20

The official instructions are clear on the response needed for a low power test and with the latest information above on how sensitive the sensors can be to reflections and other factors.

If the sensor reacts as per the instructions it is working fine any other reactions are through the conditions in the place where you are doing the testing.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Lacutas
#11 Posted : 27 January 2018 21:20:20

arpurchase wrote:
The official instructions are clear on the response needed for a low power test and with the latest information above on how sensitive the sensors can be to reflections and other factors.

If the sensor reacts as per the instructions it is working fine any other reactions are through the conditions in the place where you are doing the testing.

So I've just re-tested in another space in my home, exactly the same result. I've seen people saying it's a lower power test, but surely that would make the sensor less sensitive, not more. Also, Markwarrens response seems to indicate that the beam would be reflected which would mean the sensor doesn't come on, when in fact it consistently is at 1100mm mark.

As for anyone damaging the boards, I kept them in the plastic tray they were supplied in, and am also an IT technician so know how to properly handle circuit boards.

I'm now going to contact CS for replacements, but tbh I really am not happy with the responses coming from the officials. Numerous people have mentioned issues so they should be something concrete. i.e. The sensor coming on before 500mm is a fault, order new parts.
semaj
#12 Posted : 27 January 2018 21:29:49

Tomick wrote:

I was told previously by admin here that it was fine to use. How does a reflective surface interfere with sound?
Building:
Complete:
Tomick
#13 Posted : 27 January 2018 21:34:19

Groups:

Lacutas wrote:
arpurchase wrote:

I'm now going to contact CS for replacements, but tbh I really am not happy with the responses coming from the officials.
The information Mark has provided has come direct from the manufacturer and as they say, after carrying out the tests and checks as described and you feel you still have a fault, then by all means contact c/s for replacement, though no one should request as “just in case” as this depletes stock unnecessarily, which in turn may mean that someone that really needs replacement may have to await stock replenishment.
Lacutas
#14 Posted : 27 January 2018 21:36:00

Tomick wrote:
Lacutas wrote:
arpurchase wrote:

I'm now going to contact CS for replacements, but tbh I really am not happy with the responses coming from the officials.
The information Mark has provided has come direct from the manufacturer and as they say, after carrying out the tests and checks as described and you feel you still have a fault, then by all means contact c/s for replacement, though no one should request as “just in case” as this depletes stock unnecessarily, which in turn may mean that someone that really needs replacement may have to await stock replenishment.

Hi Tomick,

That's the issue though, I honestly don't know whether I have a fault or not. I just want a yes no answer. My sensor is coming on before 500mm, is it a fault? It shouldn't be up to me to determine whether it is or not.
Tomick
#15 Posted : 27 January 2018 21:36:46

Groups:

semaj wrote:
Tomick wrote:

I was told previously by admin here that it was fine to use. How does a reflective surface interfere with sound?
I am suggesting to possibly try something else to see if there is a difference.
Tomick
#16 Posted : 27 January 2018 21:38:59

Groups:

Lacutas wrote:
Tomick wrote:
Lacutas wrote:
arpurchase wrote:

Hi Tomick,

That's the issue though, I honestly don't know whether I have a fault or not. I just want a yes no answer. My sensor is coming on before 500mm, is it a fault? It shouldn't be up to me to determine whether it is or not.
The instructions guideline is around 500mm
Lacutas
#17 Posted : 27 January 2018 21:40:43

Tomick wrote:
Lacutas wrote:
Tomick wrote:
Lacutas wrote:
arpurchase wrote:

Hi Tomick,

OK, I guess you're unable to say yes or no for some legal reason so you really are giving me no choice but to assume I have a fault and order replacements.
semaj
#18 Posted : 27 January 2018 21:55:13

Tomick wrote:
semaj wrote:
Tomick wrote:

I am suggesting to possibly try something else to see if there is a difference.

Sorry, i somehow posted a blank reply.

Thanks, i shall try again with something else. What would you suggest i try using?

I have the cardboard box which the last delivery for subscribers came in with the dome etc. I dont really have much lying around the house. A placemat off the dining table? Could be too small though, and just as reflective as the binder as ours are glass.
Building:
Complete:
arpurchase
#19 Posted : 27 January 2018 21:57:12

We cannot control the environment you are doing the testing in and therefore have no influence over individual tests done. There is more than enough advice now available on how and why the sensors should react.

If your test fails to meet the required parameters after following the instructions and the test guidelines noted at the head of this topic simple order replacement parts.
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Tomick
#20 Posted : 27 January 2018 22:32:46

Groups:

Lacutas wrote:
Tomick wrote:
Lacutas wrote:
Tomick wrote:
Lacutas wrote:
arpurchase wrote:

Hi Tomick,

OK, I guess you're unable to say yes or no for some legal reason so you really are giving me no choice but to assume I have a fault and order replacements.
I can’t say yes or no based on the fact that “around 500mm” is all we have to work with as it’s the manufacturer that has provided this info.

I have asked the manufacturer if it’s specific approx 500mm though I suspect the reply will be the possibility of variance depending on surroundings., let’s see what they say and in the meantime chill.