Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages 123>»
Hanomag SS100 mit Vergeltungswaffe 2 und seinem Meillerwagen und Brennstand Options
jase
#1 Posted : 16 February 2018 00:23:36

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Build of the Year 2018 Entry

This is my my build of Takom's Hanomag SS100 with V2 launcher

This kit contains 4 individual models

Kit 1, Hanomag SS100 (which Takom sell as a separate kit for around £40)

Kit 2, Meillerwagen (launch trailer)

Kit 3, Brennstand (firing stand)

kit 4, Vergeltungswaffe 2 (V2 ballistic missile)

Lets start with a little history
The SS100 was a military version of Hanomag's heavy tractor which was produced during WW2 in its car factory. It came in a two and 4 door version and had a reputation for being a robust reliable tractor used for shifting heavy artillery and Hitlers retribution weapon the V2.

The V-2 "Retribution Weapon 2", technical name Aggregat 4 (A4), was the world's first long-range guided ballistic missile. Powered by a liquid-propellant rocket engine, it was developed during WW2 in Germany as a "vengeance weapon", assigned to attack Allied cities as retaliation for the Allied bombings against German cities. The V-2 rocket also became the first man-made object to travel into space by crossing the Kármán line with the vertical launch of MW 18014 on 20 June 1944.
The V2 was deployed from September 1944, it is estimated that over 3,000 missiles were launched on London, Antwerp and Liège.
it is believed that the V2 campaign resulted in the deaths of an estimated 9,000 civilians and 12,000 forced labourers from the Mittelbau-Dora, a concentration camp which were engaged in the manufacture of the missiles at the Mittelwerk factory built underground in the Kohnstein.

The V2 was taken to launch grounds transported on the Meillerwagen. The Meillerwagen was not only a trailer it was used to erect the missile on the Brennstand and to acted as the service gantry for fuelling and launch.
The Meillerwagen was assembled with Italian and Russian prisoner labourers
of 200 manufactured 3 survive and can bee seen at Treloar Technology Centre. Canberra, Australia,
RAF Museum Cosford and NMUSAF Museum Dayton, Ohio.

The Kit

The Hanomag SS100 kit although a recent kit does have a reputation for being a bit of a pig to build due to some fit issues. there are etch sets available to enhance the tractor but it builds int a good likeness of the real thing straight from the box

because the Hanomag has less of a following than other WW2 German trucks, I think it was a clever move of Takom to release this kit utilising the hanomag kit and creating something that offers a number of build and diorama alternatives.

the kit can be built as an early testing asset or as the later operational version. the Hanomag has 3 different paint options while the trailer, quite incorrectly, shows only one, and not the one used on the box art!! the V2 has four different paint options to chose from again from test through operational use.

there is a tiny amount of etch two sets of decals and some chain as well as a huge number of sprue.
The decals are very much lacking for the V2 itself but they are available from aftermarket sellers.
the quality of the parts is very high with fine detail and good engineering thought.
the wheels come with rubber Tyers that are well created, two different sets distinguish the trailer and tractor unit.

The instructions are Takoms typical 3D cad drawings with comprehensive instructions. there is a set for the tractor, no doubt from the stand alone kit and a separate set for the trailer and V2

one of the details I love about Takom kits is how clearly they identify the sprue, saves me a load of time marking them up with masking tape.

The Build

This will not be a straight box build as Takom intended, I will be adding an etch set to the Hanomag and adding some plumbing to the trailer also there will be additional decals for the V2 rocket.. The kit will be built in the intended sequence too so that I can critic the kit and build as we go. The build will be treated as four separate kits as noted above.

All consumables used will be noted in the consumables list below as will any items added to the kit in non kit parts also listed below.

Just for fun there is a cost and time spent tracker below also BigGrin

Looking forward to launching this very soon, excuse the pun LOL LOL

Consumables List

. Vallejo Plastic Putty
Tamiya Extra thin cement
Humbrol precision poly cement
Squadron white filler
Rapid Rocket medium CA

None kit parts list
etch set for Hanomag SS-100
steel wire
brass wire
0.05 plastic card
Evergreen 0.25 rod
poly tube (scrap box item)

Total Build Time

38 Hours

Total cost

Basic Kit £71.00 Total £71.00
Peddinghaus 2936 1/35 Decal for V2 Rocket in White £12.09 Total £83.09
Hanomag Etch set £17.50. Total £100.09

jase attached the following image(s):
IMG_2891.JPG
IMG_2892.JPG
IMG_2893.JPG
IMG_2894.JPG
IMG_2895.JPG
IMG_2896.JPG
IMG_2897.JPG
IMG_2898.JPG
IMG_2899.JPG
IMG_2900.JPG
IMG_2901.JPG
IMG_2902.JPG
IMG_2903.JPG
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Tomick
#2 Posted : 16 February 2018 08:17:58

Groups:

Looks to be a lot to this kit, look forward to seeing this build underway, good luck Cool
arpurchase
#3 Posted : 16 February 2018 08:59:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looks an interesting kit and best of luck with your buildCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

CaptnBirdseye
#4 Posted : 16 February 2018 10:09:17

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

WOW Jase, what a kit that looks to be Love
Didn't know you spoke German Laugh

Good luck with your build. It will be interseting to watch your progress.Cool

Regards
Gray
Coser
#5 Posted : 16 February 2018 12:21:22

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Best wishes on your entry.

It looks a real challenge to me, especially if you are going for a scenic base [I haven't been able to see all the pictures you posted yet as I am at work.].

I imagine you will be going for one of the camo schemes, rather than a B/W prototype scheme, although either will be interesting.

Gary.
Current Builds
Eaglemoss: Ecto-1, BTTF Delorean [Installing Mods]
Hachette: T800 Endoskeleton
Agora Models Shelby Cobra 427 [Plate 031]
BanDai 1:5000 Imperial Star Destroyer
AMT 1991 U.S.S. Enterprise Bridge [Installing Mods & Lights]

Finished Builds
Deagostini: R2-D2 [Never getting batteries]
jase
#6 Posted : 16 February 2018 13:21:40

I dont, just hope its not directions to the bus stop 😂🤣😂
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
CaptnBirdseye
#7 Posted : 16 February 2018 13:25:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

jase wrote:

I dont, just hope its not directions to the bus stop 😂🤣😂

LOL LOL LOL Now that WOULD be funny
tigerace
#8 Posted : 16 February 2018 15:44:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great KitBigGrin will follow on this Jase see how it builds up for when i start mineCool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

ModelMania
#9 Posted : 16 February 2018 21:48:36

Groups:

Looks an excellent kit Jase and a build diary which I will be following all the way. Drool Cool

The best of luck in the competition too mate. ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Markwarren
#10 Posted : 17 February 2018 09:06:52

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

This looks an interesting kit, a lot to it. Will be following with interest. Good luck.ThumpUp

Mark
jase
#11 Posted : 17 February 2018 10:09:29

Thanks all for the intrest in the build couple ofnweeks before i start as i need to finish the Bristol first

Just ordered some decals for theV2 and reserching the trailor plumbing that needs improving
-Mark Twain
jase
#12 Posted : 23 February 2018 20:56:49

The decals for the V2 Rocket arrived this week. These are the Peddinghaus 2936 1/35 Decal for V2 Rocket in White set.

They come on a single sheet with a two sided instruction sheet one side with placing instruction the other with some historic pictures for reference

The decals are very fine quality and cover every marking required.

none of these decals are included in the original kit, they will add some real detail to the rocket.

See first post for costs.

Jase
IMG_3586.jpg
IMG_3587.jpg
IMG_3588.jpg
IMG_3589.jpg
IMG_3590.jpg
-Mark Twain
jase
#13 Posted : 23 February 2018 21:13:57

And just to wet the appetite some operational footage in colour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjFTN-YdK_M

Jase
-Mark Twain
ModelMania
#14 Posted : 23 February 2018 21:57:38

Groups:

Some nice decals there Jase, should add some extra finesse to your model. Cool video as well, thanks for sharing and looking forward to the start of the build. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
jase
#15 Posted : 25 February 2018 11:44:45

Some consumables still on order should receive everything during the week ahead along with the Hanomag etch set.

My build desk has ben clean down, wet wiped to remove any dust after being hooverd.

Build will start this week with the rocket launch frame as the first build.

Jase
IMG_2918.JPG
-Mark Twain
Tomick
#16 Posted : 25 February 2018 11:53:22

Groups:

You not working in the loft workshop anymore?
jase
#17 Posted : 25 February 2018 12:09:22

Tomick wrote:

Yes I have three desks in the attic, one set up for painting, one I use for most my building work and one for assembly and sub assembly just to keep the clutter down on the other two.
-Mark Twain
CaptnBirdseye
#18 Posted : 25 February 2018 12:22:41

jase wrote:
Tomick wrote:

Yes I have three desks in the attic, one set up for painting, one I use for most my building work and one for assembly and sub assembly just to keep the clutter down on the other two.

Wished I was that organized Jase Cool
Can’t wait to see more
Regards
Gray
jase
#19 Posted : 01 March 2018 00:47:27

So I have decided to start this build with the launch stand, reason being this part is going to be one f the more challenging parts of the build for me. The reason for this is that I need to simulate burnt steel and paint something I have not done before. Nice to do something newBigGrin

Before we start on that though the first 3 pics are of the etch set for the Hanomag ss100. one of the benefits of this set is it replaces the dashboard in the kit with looks nothing like the original.

Also to give you some impression of the size of this kit, I had it in my mind that the V2 was about 25cm long, not sure where that came from? but I measured it tonight and its 38cm longCool and will be about 43cm once on the launch stand. there for the completed build will be just over half a meter tractor and trailer Cool BigGrin Drool

OK On with the build. the first stage is the launch table feet. these are independently jacked in real life but all the same length on the kit, not adjustable. some care is needed with orientation front and back legs are different and they are all handed. It is more simple to attached the blast deflector to to the feet first than follow the instructions suggestion of building the feet then attaching the blast deflector. I went with the instructions initially, then disassembled and started again my way!

Also when assembling the two back legs which have an extra support arm it is best to set them in the upper frame to ensure the support sits correctly otherwise you may get fit issues later on.

one surprising feature of the build so far is the amount of clean up required. there are some very heavy seams in places and even some flash on some of the tiny parts. However fit of the parts is very good.

I chose to deepen the panel lines on the blast deflector using Tamiyas panel line scriber. these panels hinge up, or should, to allow space for the wheels of the transport trailer but this is not included in the kit. indeed the whole assembly is a little lite in detail there should be e removable step that sits on the blast deflector and a mount for the fuelling pipe is missing also.

I did manage to scratch the part with the scriber, I have been struggling with my eyes for 2 weeks or so and suspect my imenant eye test may be getting me into reading glasses, the joys of getting older Blink but these were easily filled. I am currently using Vallejo plastic filler, I cannot recomend this product enough if you haven't tried it you should!! its very easy to use with a precision nib and excess filler can be simply wiped off with a damp cotton bud or cloth, really good product.

Built up it looks the partCool

Total build time so far 3 .5 hours
File Attachment(s):
IMG_2931.JPG (271kb) downloaded 32 time(s).
IMG_2932.JPG (274kb) downloaded 29 time(s).
IMG_2936.JPG (268kb) downloaded 29 time(s).
IMG_2930.JPG
IMG_2956.JPG
IMG_2933.JPG
IMG_2934.JPG
IMG_2937.JPG
IMG_2935.JPG
IMG_2938.JPG
IMG_2939.JPG
IMG_2940.JPG
IMG_2942.JPG
IMG_2941.JPG
IMG_2943.JPG
IMG_2944.JPG
IMG_2946.JPG
IMG_2947.JPG
IMG_2950.JPG
IMG_2951.JPG
IMG_2955.JPG
IMG_2957.JPG
-Mark Twain
ModelMania
#20 Posted : 01 March 2018 10:01:50

Groups:

That is an excellent start Jase and looking good already - well done. Cool ThumpUp

Looks to be some very nice detail in this kit even without the omitted stuff, should look fantastic when finished. Must try some of that Vallejo Plastic Filler too, always looking out for new products that improve my modelling, thanks for the tip Jase. ThumpUp

Kev Smile