Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
Howards San Filipe Build Options
Howard
#1 Posted : 20 February 2018 22:30:33

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

I was advised that it was good practice to open a build diary so that when I have a problem it is easier to review with photographs than a written descriptions.
CaptnBirdseye
#2 Posted : 20 February 2018 22:44:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Howard and welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing your build
Regards Gray
Martyn Ingram
#3 Posted : 20 February 2018 22:50:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking forward to this Howard if you have any problems there are lots of knowledgeable people on this forum to help and pictures help a lot
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
jase
#4 Posted : 20 February 2018 23:12:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forumCool

Build diary are not just good for sharing problems, to which there is more support on this forum than you could possibly ever need. But great to share build method and just get some encouragement when you hit a hard bit or some trudge.

have fun with your build looking forward to it

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Gandale
#5 Posted : 20 February 2018 23:59:38

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Would always recommend members create a build diary, it makes things a lot easier for members to see any problems you may encounter and render assistance when you need it most. Before you start uploading your pics onto your diary you may find this link useful....

https://forum.model-spac....aspx?g=posts&t=244

Look forward to following your progress on this beautiful kit....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Howard
#6 Posted : 21 February 2018 01:37:55

Thanks to you all for the warm welcome
Howard
#7 Posted : 24 February 2018 00:55:31

I hear my first two months of kit subscriptions have shipped. So looking forward to getting started. My thanks to the folk who made such a fast turn around.
Gandale
#8 Posted : 24 February 2018 01:01:59

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Look forward to seeing you get started Howard, good luck with the build.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#9 Posted : 24 February 2018 07:06:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Welcome to the forum Howard. BigGrin

Enjoy your build.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Howard
#10 Posted : 24 February 2018 08:02:23

Thank you,.

Preplanning:

I have a piece of board ready to put sets of right angle brackets along a centreline. I figured that would be a good way to start so that I kept the keel pieces straight - the air out here in Alberta is generally very dry and don’t want any pieces taking on a life of their own. Plus I can then square up each rib as I go along. I am not planning on actually screwing the brackets to the keel and I plan to use the setup until I get to do the planking. I have a model stand to use once that starts. Also put in a supply of wood glue and krazy glue (our local brand of CA), some rigging thread and located some micro former blades. These things except the glue are not available locally but I have just found a model shop 3000 km away in Ontario that can help me with such items for the future.

So, just looking for the courier to arrive with my boxes and then 70 hours work per week until it’s all done. Just kidding - will take my time and follow the build instructions and any advise that comes my way. I think the wife is planning on sandwiches for the lunch breaks which is good as it will keep me tied to the work bench. Absolutely determined to complete this build and fully enjoy the experience. I will do my best to keep the diary going here - yet to figure out the photo side of things but I see there are clear guidelines for how to do the uploads and file sizes etc. Now reading the instructions through online ...
CaptnBirdseye
#11 Posted : 02 March 2018 19:32:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

'These things except the glue are not available locally but I have just found a model shop 3000 km away in Ontario that can help me with such items for the future'

WOW, it's hard for us in the UK to comprehend the distances involved OhMyGod , now that does show dedication!

Hope you don't have to wait too long for your first delivery, and look forward to seeing your build Cool

Regards
Gray
Howard
#12 Posted : 03 March 2018 01:45:57

CaptnBirdseye wrote:
'These things except the glue are not available locally but I have just found a model shop 3000 km away in Ontario that can help me with such items for the future'

WOW, it's hard for us in the UK to comprehend the distances involved OhMyGod , now that does show dedication!

Hope you don't have to wait too long for your first delivery, and look forward to seeing your build Cool

Regards
Gray

I once drove from Ontario to here - agreed, it is a very long way.

Anyway, I received my first two packs yesterday - thank you despatch dept. All were in good order without any damage. I just finished a dry fit of major parts and it is a great kit. Must have been cut by a cabinetmaker- really good fit. Top quality wood. All I need is an old fansioned pencil to do the planking. tried with a mechanical pencil but not a great success - maybe tomorrow when it stops snowing we can get out to the store. I took a couple of pictures but need to figure out the reduction in size and this upload. Hopefully I can start posting the build tomorrow.
delboy271155
#13 Posted : 03 March 2018 02:26:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Good to hear you`ve received your first parts. BigGrin

Can`t wait to see you underway. Cool Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Howard
#14 Posted : 04 March 2018 05:51:14

File Attachment(s):
63DC8E9E-CFBD-457E-B84B-8EA4A8757EE8.jpeg (48kb) downloaded 100 time(s).
F92DF8E5-98CA-4A9E-8677-6D197310E13F.jpeg (83kb) downloaded 77 time(s).
Markwarren
#15 Posted : 04 March 2018 09:49:10

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Great start, looking good.ThumpUp

Mark
Howard
#16 Posted : 07 March 2018 03:29:24

Been busy with the build. Just finished pack one today.
Was originally a bit put off by the deck planking but spent more time and took extra care to keep the joins inline - plus I was able to buy a decent set of pencils that made a big difference. Otherwise, all went well and every think fits nice and tight. I have so far kept ahead of the wood getting too dry by keeping the packs in a plastic box with a tight lid and running a humidifier in the room. Seems to have worked good.

Tomorrow pack two!

File Attachment(s):
6AC6D942-5786-447D-9FED-44FA9B13E96C.jpeg (1,804kb) downloaded 74 time(s).
6C5E8DC7-1A9A-498E-8D5F-ADDA7B3BFBC5.jpeg (1,959kb) downloaded 73 time(s).
CaptnBirdseye
#17 Posted : 07 March 2018 11:28:26

Great start Howard. Can't wait to see more.
You may wish to re-size your photos to 600 x 450. It will make your pictures easier to view, and they won't require the viewer to download first.

Keep up the good work Howard. Following with interest.

Regards
Gray
delboy271155
#18 Posted : 07 March 2018 12:02:43

Good start Howard.

Congrats on your "Blue" medal for running a diary. Cool

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

EmperorMing
#19 Posted : 08 March 2018 20:03:52

Outstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great start Howard...will watch this build with interest as intending to do as next build on completion of Yamato Cool
arpurchase
#20 Posted : 08 March 2018 23:02:49

BigGrin Looking good HowardCool Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .