Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Matchbox Car Restoration Options
delboy271155
#1 Posted : 08 March 2018 18:52:07

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

I know some people like them in original condition and others with the played with look, but what can be done when it`s really had a hard life?

Restoration may be the answer and a bit of fun as well:

Matchbox Restoration

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

roymattblack
#2 Posted : 08 March 2018 19:35:49

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

That's a little stunner!!!

I also love 'rescuing' old toy cars and have done lots.
Still a box-full of 'corpses' in my garage.

Here's a Corgi JB DB5 I resuscitated last year.
The interior was stuffed with some kind of yukky glue...

roymattblack attached the following image(s):
P1013002 A.jpg
P1013003 A.jpg
P1013006 A.jpg
P1013007 A.jpg
P1013019 A.jpg
P1013020 A.jpg
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 24 March 2018 08:46:28

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Nice work Roy. Cool

You got me inspired for several reasons.

1: Love repairing/restoring things.

2: Great to try different skills.

3: Cheap items to practice on from ebay

4: If it works Grandson will be thrilled

So had a nose around and found a collection of four old Matchbox cars.

Rolls Royce Silver Cloud
Fiat 1500
Ford Thunderbird
Etype Jag

I`m gonna test out the required skills on the first three and then try (and I mean try) to do a full refurb on the etype.

A pic of my purchase is below and I`ll post a thread when I get started and believe me it will be warts and all. (Minus any naughty words)

Will only be little bits here and there, but watch the thread when it gets going.Blink

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
20180317_230752.jpg

roymattblack
#4 Posted : 24 March 2018 11:24:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

A great little hobby.
I'll be watching out as you go.

You can get replacement luggage for the Fiat roof rack here if you want:

https://www.modelcarparts.com/content/ms88

Roy.
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 24 March 2018 13:12:21

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Great work Roy, Just need the original box now.Love

Mark
roymattblack
#6 Posted : 24 March 2018 14:30:11

Ask and ye shall receive...

Roy.
roymattblack attached the following image(s):
matchbox fiat.jpg
delboy271155
#7 Posted : 24 March 2018 19:57:17

roymattblack wrote:
A great little hobby.
I'll be watching out as you go.

You can get replacement luggage for the Fiat roof rack here if you want:

https://www.modelcarparts.com/content/ms88

Roy.

Many thanks for that info Roy.Cool

Have bookmarked that site for future reference.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#8 Posted : 24 March 2018 20:56:04

Ok here we go with a potentially rocky road ahead, as I try and test new and old methods of restoration to me. Blink Blink

This will be seriously warts and all and one of the warts doesn`t take long to rear its head.Crying Crying

Will make this mainly a pictorial thread with findings posted where needed.

So here goes.

Pic 1: What I`ve got to work with.(Ebay cheapies)

Pic 2: Years of grime, not sure I want to know what it is.

Pic 3: Others attempts to restore that havn`t worked or poorly done.

Pic 4: Some strange colours to match in the repaint stage.

Pic 5: Stubborn paint that refused to fall off needs removing.

Pic 6 and 7: First wart.Crying As old as these items are they don`t always fall apart easily when and where required. Drilled out the base fixings and then levered the base from the top, only the base being very brittle material decided to come off in two parts.(Oh bother). So superglued the parts back together and reinforced the inside with a couple of reinforcement plates. When fixed back to the upper body shouldn`t be a problem. Pic 6 looks like a bad cut and shut job, but will do some more work on that later.

Pic 8: Removing the flakey paint from the "Rolls". Used a bit of fine emery paper. Doesn`t get into all the nooks and crannies, but gets rid of the worst of the old paint. Heading for the multi/variable speed Dremel and accesories for the next stage.

This is a when I have a spare few minutes type project, so will update when I have something worthwhile posting.

Until then.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

delboy271155
#9 Posted : 24 March 2018 21:47:25

So back tracking to post #8 pic 3.

Bad previous paint jobs.Blink

I have used a very sharp craft knife and removed the paint from the previous work(Not mine). Then a quick tidy-up with some emery paper and ready to go for a full paint strip.

Tip: Be very careful with the craft knife as you can make serious scratches in the soft metal these old toys are made from.

Pics of old Red paint (before and after) below.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
3.jpg
9.jpg

Spal
#10 Posted : 24 March 2018 22:21:08

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Nice start to your restorations DerekBigGrin I'm looking forward to the E-type being done as it was a favourite of mine when I had one as a kid.

Al
delboy271155
#11 Posted : 29 March 2018 19:01:50

Well found a bit of time today, so small update:

Needed to smooth out the repair to the Rolls chassis. (Not easy in this scale). Tried a couple of methods but access and need to not cause anymore damage the best method for me was a snap-off utility knife. Two reasons small flexible blade and you can`t put too much pressure on it or the blade would snap. So Pic 1 shows blade and Pic 2 the cleaned up join.

Used the same knife to remove black paint from the grey tyres and the bumpers. Pics 3+4.

Next job was to get nearly 50 years of sticky grime from the inside surfaces. Pic 5+6. Again access was the issue and the areas I could get to with emery paper clogged the emery in seconds.

Solution: Break out the Ultrasonic cleaner and after a quick brush with an old toothbrush and a rinse I`ve got clean non-sticky parts. Pic 7.

Next on the job list: Drill the fixing posts and find self tappers to fit and break out the dremmel and remove the last of the paint.

Till next time.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
16.jpg

delboy271155
#12 Posted : 05 April 2018 17:33:05

Hi All,

Got rid of some more paint having got hold of some buffing/cleaning brushes for the Dremel. Had to be careful not to remove any fine details, but the paint left is extremely difficult to get at and highly unlikely to come off after painting.

May just give it a coat of primer filler and see how it looks.Blink

The fixing posts should take a screw of approx 1 - 1.5mm so will see which screw size is easier to source and then get a nice new sharp drill bit ready for the drilling process.

Some pics below of the dremel bits used in the clean up and how the Rolls looks now.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
17.jpg
18.jpg
19.jpg
20.jpg
21.jpg

roymattblack
#13 Posted : 05 April 2018 17:38:20

Get a tin of Nitromors and sit the little beastie in an old saucer or similar.
Apply Nitromors with an old toothbrush.
It will take any paint off to bare metal in around 15 - 20 mins.

Far easier than a Dremel, and far safer to the metal underneath.
Obviously you can only use Nitromors on the metal parts.

Roy.
delboy271155
#14 Posted : 05 April 2018 18:18:05

roymattblack wrote:
Get a tin of Nitromors and sit the little beastie in an old saucer or similar.
Apply Nitromors with an old toothbrush.
It will take any paint off to bare metal in around 15 - 20 mins.

Far easier than a Dremel, and far safer to the metal underneath.
Obviously you can only use Nitromors on the metal parts.

Roy.

Thanks Roy. BigGrin

Most of the paint fell off the Rolls, but have ordered some Nitromors for the rest.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#15 Posted : 07 April 2018 20:59:51

Hi All, BigGrin

Well that`s got to be the best free dlivery service I`ve ever had. The Nitromors arrived today 36 hours after the order was placed. Cool

So I sourced a glass jam jar and it was just big enogh for the Fiat body shell to sit flat on the bottom.

I`ve used the same method to seperate the parts as for the Rolls and placed the Fiat body in the jar, covered it in the green jelly Nitromors and left for, don`t know didn`t time it.LOL Maybe an hour as it had lots of extra paint applied from somewhere/sometime.

Before the pics a word of warning:

Nitromors works very well but needs serious respect. Read all the instructions and warnings/advise on the container before use.

Ok here`s the results and this is just one application remember. The first pic shows the original paint the rest speak for themselves.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
3.jpg
22.jpg
23.jpg
24.jpg
25.jpg

delboy271155
#16 Posted : 06 May 2018 20:29:26

Well the project goes on. Blink Blink

I was seriously expecting to lose one or two of these old cars along the way, but to date all are still on the road to recovery. Cool Cool

So with all four dismantled, the paint stripped with Nitromors and other parts given the "Ultrasonic cleaner" treatment this is where I`m at. (See pics)

Next job is to try clean/repair window parts of which I only have three as the Roller has none. I have some micro gloss liquid abrasive which will be my first trial, so wish me luck. It`s very fine so should do the job, but we`ll see.

When the window trial is done I should then be looking at starting the rebuilding
with maybe some internal painting first.

Until next time.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
26.jpg
27.jpg
28.jpg
29.jpg