Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

40 years ago Airfix Spitfire builds Options
jase
#1 Posted : 10 March 2018 17:49:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi All,

A little while ago I posted about plans my children had put together to celebrate my 40 years of modelling mile stone. you can read about this here

http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=25688

So as Planned this will be the spot where I build the two spitfires the first as I did 40 years ago and the second as best I can with 40 years experience behind me.

Both kits are the same mid 1970s releases.

So on with the first build.

Given the age the box for the first kit is in excellent condition. inside the kit is not in the bag with two parts detached from the sprue both instructions and decals have yellowed with age.

Build stars with the customary pilot and seat nothing else in this cockpit. the parts were removed from the sprue, no clean up done as I did not have and sanding products on my first ever build.

Next the there parts for the propeller again no clean up but despite they part fit was really very good indeed

The pilot is fitted to the first fuselage half, the cap fr the back of the propel is added allowing it to spin freely when assembled.

the exults are a good fit also, it all looks very much as it should, the panel lines are obviously raised detail.

The bottom wing section did not fit as well leaving a sizeable gap that won't be filed on this first build. A slot is cut out to allow the stand to be fitted.

The top wings fit quite well there is some join clean up needed, again left just as on my first build.

Canopy fits perfectly, as do the various under wing items

there is the option to model the spit with undercarriage up or down. originally I had done the undercarriage down so I repeated this option.

Finally the completed plane was mounted on its display stand.

That completes the build, next is the rather simplified paint job.

Jase

jase attached the following image(s):
IMG_3076.JPG
IMG_3077.JPG
IMG_3078.JPG
IMG_3079.JPG
IMG_3081.JPG
IMG_3082.JPG
IMG_3083.JPG
IMG_3085.JPG
IMG_3086.JPG
IMG_3087.JPG
IMG_3088.JPG
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
jase
#2 Posted : 24 March 2018 13:35:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

So I have now painted the spit just as I did the first time around. a single brush no primer a single shade of light blue gloss paint. As I recall the tyres were left unpainted.

just the decals t go, then we can crack on with the second build.

IMG_3202.JPG
IMG_3203.JPG
IMG_3204.JPG
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
jase
#3 Posted : 01 April 2018 14:27:10

The first Spitfire is done. I only hade one decal crack on me so was quite pleased. they are actually really thick. they have only been attached with water, just like when I did it all those years ago.

so now it is done and you can see why I got the modelling bugBigGrin

This build really took me back it looks just as I remember it.

BUT the challenge my two daughters gave me was to build two Spitfires one as my first ever model build and one to the best I can now, but still the same kit.

more on that soon

Jase
IMG_3210.JPG
IMG_3211.JPG
IMG_3212.JPG
IMG_3213.JPG
IMG_3214.JPG
IMG_3215.JPG
-Mark Twain
Silent_Running
#4 Posted : 01 April 2018 14:40:14

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Forum Support Team

Excellent work Jase! What a trip down memory lane! 😃
jase
#5 Posted : 02 April 2018 07:36:23

Silent_Running wrote:
Excellent work Jase! What a trip down memory lane! 😃

Thanks Glenn, it absolutely is and I enjoyed every moment. second build pics coming soon

Jase
-Mark Twain
ModelMania
#6 Posted : 02 April 2018 11:56:38

Groups:

Well done Jase, glad it turned out just as you remember from all of those years ago, very nostalgic. Cool ThumpUp

I like the idea and would be tempted to do something similar but I just wouldn't be able to build a model nowadays without at least painting it or adding loads of extra scratchbuilt detail! Blink Blink

Kev Smile
jase
#7 Posted : 02 April 2018 12:25:32

ModelMania wrote:
Well done Jase, glad it turned out just as you remember from all of those years ago, very nostalgic. Cool ThumpUp

I like the idea and would be tempted to do something similar but I just wouldn't be able to build a model nowadays without at least painting it or adding loads of extra scratchbuilt detail! Blink Blink

Kev Smile

I agree cannot remember when I last did a strict box build, think it may have been the Airfix HMS Dragon. but the second build absolutely has etchCool BigGrin
-Mark Twain
jase
#8 Posted : 26 August 2018 22:27:48

So today is my birthday and as promised the second of the two spits was started today.

I do have a small amount of Eduard etch for a 1:72 spit, but not for this kit, long out of production.

the first modification is to cut away the the pilots entrance and replace this with etch in the open position.
there are two large raised injection marks to be removed from inside the cockpit.
I put the floor pan in to help with etch alignment and make sure I don't fowl the fit.
The dashboard needed reducing in size to fit but still looks the part.
there are lots of little etch details to ad to the cockpit. I am not. a fan of the pre painted stuff so much of this will get painted again.

I have used Humbrol cockpit green for the interior.

Jase
IMG_4613.JPG
IMG_4614.JPG
IMG_4615.JPG
IMG_4616.JPG
IMG_4617.JPG
IMG_4618.JPG
IMG_4619.JPG
-Mark Twain
jase
#9 Posted : 08 September 2018 22:00:27

the build continues with the pilot. I have painted min all over in the uniform blue and started to pick out the other colours

IMG_4679.JPG
IMG_4680.JPG
-Mark Twain