Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

R2-D2 customised build page 10 Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 18 March 2018 17:24:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Here you can see I have painted the last parts of the foot section. I primed then painted them with silver paint as I have done previously. These were allowed to dry hard for a week.

Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 242.jpg
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 18 March 2018 17:25:44

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

The next stage was to mask all the blue parts ready for painting. Some of these pieces were quite difficult to cover, so I used Humbrol Maskol as well as the masking tape. They were then rubbed lightly to give the paint something to a adhere to.
The next step was to prime all the parts and allow to dry before applying the silver paint, shown in the last picture. These will be allowed to harden for a week before applying the blue layers.
Photo 241.jpg
Photo 245.jpg
Photo 246.jpg
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 18 March 2018 17:26:54

Now the foot pieces have been allowed to dry for a week, it was time to mask off certain areas that I wanted to keep silver and paint on some Maskol in areas as have have done before.
The final picture shows the foot parts painted with white satin. These will again be allowed to dry fully for a week before piecing all the parts together to apply the weathering oils.
So, until next week, happy modelling.

Photo 243.jpg
Photo 244.jpg
Photo 247.jpg
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 25 March 2018 16:33:52

The dome panels have had time to dry now, and the fist step was to unmask all the pieces. These were then rubbed lightly with a micro mesh pad. Once this was done, they were painstakingly masked again for the next coats of paint, as shown in the second picture.
Back to the spray booth for a coat of translucent purple and allowed to dry for several hours. The last picture shows the finished panels after being given a coat of metallic blue, a further coat of purple and finally a coat of gloss varnish. These will now be given several days to dry and harden before lightly rubbing down with a fine sand paper, as before, and the masking tape removed.

Photo 248.jpg
Photo 249.jpg
Photo 250.jpg
Photo 251.jpg
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 25 March 2018 16:34:58

I have also unmasked the foot pieces and taken off the Humbrol Maskol ready to weather these as shown in these pictures. These will be weathered and varnished before attaching to the leg section.
More soon.

Photo 252.jpg
Photo 253.jpg
Photo 254.jpg
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 28 March 2018 20:31:13

Quick update. I have unmasked the dome panels, now that they have had a few days to dry. I then gave them all a sanding with a micro mesh pad and a little water to rough up the varnish. This gives it more of a rugged look, while still retaining a shine in places. I have also rubbed off some areas a little more, particularly around the edges on some of the pieces.

The next step was to start attaching all the panels to the dome and the hinged panel to the frame ready to fix together. Once this was done, I then started attaching some of the electrical components inside the dome. Although this took me several hours, it was very satisfying to see the little chap coming together, and boy it now has some weight to it.
I will finish fitting all the component parts that will complete the head, before I start to weather the dome with oils as I have with the rest of the body parts. The last set of pictures show the dome almost complete.

Next will be the completion of the leg section. More soon.

Photo 255.jpg
Photo 256.jpg
Photo 257.jpg
Photo 258.jpg
Photo 259.jpg
Photo 260.jpg
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 08 April 2018 17:43:41

I have started weathering the foot section of R2. I have painted one half and 3 sides of the bottom panel. These will be allowed to dry, then varnished. This will allow me to handle this side of the foot part whilst weathering the other half, long process but well worth the extra effort.

Photo 267.jpg
Photo 266.jpg
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 08 April 2018 17:44:54

I have also fitted the projector inside the head dome, along with screws that hold the side panels in and the circuit board.

Photo 262.jpg
Photo 263.jpg
Photo 264.jpg
Markwarren
#9 Posted : 08 April 2018 17:46:07

Next, I have started the body frame, as well as priming the panel and some blue parts that attach to this piece ready for painting. If the body frame parts are anything to go by, then the body section is also going to have some weight to it as well as the dome.

More soon.

Photo 265.jpg
Photo 268.jpg
Markwarren
#10 Posted : 15 April 2018 17:03:18

This weeks update. I have now varnished the foot half and left to dry. I will then weather the second half of the foot which should complete this part and finalise the second leg section.
I have also started painting the front panel section after priming most of the parts from my last post.
The first picture shows the inner panel parts spray painted with metallic silver and allowed to dry before the blue paint is applied.
The second pictures show these panels completed with the blue paint and finished with gloss varnish. This was done over a few days.
You will also see in the same picture the silver parts have been weathered with star Mig ship filth to give it a metallic look.
The final shots show the main panel part painted with satin white and all the parts screwed together. Once I have a few more panels to work with, I will start the weathering process as I have done previously.
More soon.

Photo 269.jpg
Photo 270.jpg
Photo 271.jpg
Photo 272.jpg
Photo 273.jpg
Photo 274.jpg
Markwarren
#11 Posted : 08 May 2018 21:56:50

I have now finished weathering R2-D2’s foot and all the pieces have had a coat of satin varnish to seal. I have also drilled holes in the cable housing as I did with the previous foot and added some magnets to hold the power bus cables in.
I then attached all the foot parts to R2’s leg to complete the foot.
The last few pictures show the two legs sections together.

Photo 280.jpg
Photo 281.jpg
Photo 282.jpg
Photo 283.jpg
Photo 284.jpg
Photo 286.jpg
Photo 287.jpg
Photo 285.jpg
Markwarren
#12 Posted : 08 May 2018 21:59:40

Here, you can see I have primed and then painted the side panel white. Note that I have attached the centre piece first before painting.
I then pre-weathered the two silver parts and sealed them with varnish before attaching them to the panel.
The last picture shows the two panels. I haven’t attached the two pieces together just yet, as I will be weathering all the individual panels before they are all fixed. This will make it much easier to handle when adding the oils.

More soon.

Photo 275.jpg
Photo 276.jpg
Photo 277.jpg
Photo 278.jpg
Photo 279.jpg