Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

SOTS couple of planking questions at the rear Options
ravager
#1 Posted : 29 March 2018 00:29:34

Groups: Registered

Hi all,

First model ship for me and I pretty much have most of the early planking done.

Just a few questions around the rear of the ship. I am very happy with my sides and front but am not sure if I need to do some tweaking around this part.

3 photos uploads.
The side with a light sanding except for the rear prior to a little wood filler. I am very happy with this but if I've done anything wrong feel free to advise me.

The rear top I have 3 questions around. The top circle there is a bulge outward as the rib there was very pointed to the very keel, Im not sure if it should bulge or if I should take off the top plank and sand the rib away so the plank sits flush or not.

The second mark going down the rudder bit the last four planks have a fairly prominent curve thats close to a bend, should I fill this in a little so the rib to the anchor area is a very light curve or is this correct.

The third line is a question about should there be a nice curve I can fill where the planks intersect at close to right angle or is the sharp direction change suppose to be how it is.

I also have a fairly downward trending straight line from the edge of the side where the planking curves towards the rudder area and at the rudder area its a fair bit lower (looking downwards) straight line to where the planks change direction. Should I raise the lat 3 or 4 planks to make this look roughly horizontal looking from the rear.

Last question.
When I undercoat the ship, do I need to use a different glue to add the extra wood and metal parts or does wood glue work fine on paint to wood/metal?

Thank you
Regards
G

File Attachment(s):
Rear_Side.jpg (595kb) downloaded 71 time(s).
Rear_Top.jpg (652kb) downloaded 51 time(s).
Side.jpg (1,521kb) downloaded 49 time(s).
Gandale
#2 Posted : 29 March 2018 08:27:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Hi G,

Will have a look at this and come back to you. In the meantime, can you supply a couple of additional pics, one square on to the stern looking along the length of the hull. Another looking directly down from the top.

Also, if you ensure you resize your pics to 600 x 480 pixels, max 150kb they'll show up on your post rather than have members downloading to view. This makes things a lot easier to view potential problems...

Regards

Alan
ravager
#3 Posted : 30 March 2018 10:11:00

Thanks for the help. Here is the 2 pics you asked for.

ravager attached the following image(s):
rear.jpg
Bulge.jpg
Gandale
#4 Posted : 30 March 2018 23:45:24

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Thanks for the additional pics G, it does help. As for the last pic you provided showing the bulge you have at the keel. I would say the reason for the bulge is because you have not faired that rib enough, you can clearly see the top of the rib in your pic. I would be looking to remove that plank, fair the rib down until the bulge is no longer present when the plank is replaced. Looking at some of the pics on my build of the same area may also help...

https://forum.model-spac...sts&t=5013&p=20

Looking at the transition of planks from the vertical to the horizontal, it is quite a sharp transition but not as sharp as your pics shows. Again if you look at how I achieved this transition on my build then hopefully it should help you. You could try to see if the application of some filler in this area can smooth the transition out for you. This is only the first layer of planks so any filler being applied will be hidden when fitting the second layer. Important thing is that the hull is totally smooth and there are no bumps, dips or bulges in the flow of the hull planks otherwise these will be visible when the second layer is applied.

https://forum.model-spac...sts&t=5013&p=27

Hope this helps. If you need to come back to me then please do..

Regards

Alan

ravager
#5 Posted : 31 March 2018 02:43:22

Ty, the bulge I was aware at the time that it looked a bit weird but I didn't want to take any more off in case it was meant to be there. So I will just remove the first row, sand it down and that should be good.

I was intending to put some filler in the other area if I needed to but once again wasn't sure so that's good to have that clarified.

Is the angle from the sides to center correct at the back it looks a little weird but not having any idea what its suppose to look like I wasn't sure. I didn't see a picture square on to confirm from your link but I suspect its suppose to look a little weird.

Also where the transition at the back from the horizontal to the vertical suppose to be a nice smooth rounded transition or a fair sharp one like in my rear photo. I haven't trimmed anything at the back in case I have to modify it a little.

Lastly. When I use some undercoat on this to protect it, does normal wood glue work to glue the metal and wood pieces on further down the build or do i have to get some other type of glue to bond.

Thanks once again.

Martyn Ingram
#6 Posted : 31 March 2018 09:36:06

Hi mate the glue I use is a combination of PVA for the wooden parts and thick and thin CA ie super glue for the metal parts
Hope this helps
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Gandale
#7 Posted : 31 March 2018 10:37:40

ravager wrote:
Ty, the bulge I was aware at the time that it looked a bit weird but I didn't want to take any more off in case it was meant to be there. So I will just remove the first row, sand it down and that should be good.

I was intending to put some filler in the other area if I needed to but once again wasn't sure so that's good to have that clarified.

Is the angle from the sides to center correct at the back it looks a little weird but not having any idea what its suppose to look like I wasn't sure. I didn't see a picture square on to confirm from your link but I suspect its suppose to look a little weird.

Also where the transition at the back from the horizontal to the vertical suppose to be a nice smooth rounded transition or a fair sharp one like in my rear photo. I haven't trimmed anything at the back in case I have to modify it a little.

Lastly. When I use some undercoat on this to protect it, does normal wood glue work to glue the metal and wood pieces on further down the build or do i have to get some other type of glue to bond.

Thanks once again.

Hi G,

Have attached a couple of pics showing the stern of my build taken square on so you can see how it should look.

If using a wood undercoat then the use of PVA to glue wood to wood shouldn't present you with any problems and when gluing metal to wood I tend to use either a Superglue Gel or a 2 part epoxy...

Hope this helps..

Regards

Alan
Gandale attached the following image(s):
DSCF0987.JPG
DSCF1147.JPG
ravager
#8 Posted : 31 March 2018 22:40:09

Exactly what i needed gents.

looks like my angles are pretty close to yours Gandalf so that is a big relief.

So I just need to fix that bulge which should be fairly simple and little filler to gentle out the curve at the rear and I can move on.

Ty very much all
Gandale
#9 Posted : 31 March 2018 22:53:37

ravager wrote:
Exactly what i needed gents.

looks like my angles are pretty close to yours Gandalf so that is a big relief.

So I just need to fix that bulge which should be fairly simple and little filler to gentle out the curve at the rear and I can move on.

Ty very much all

Happy to be of help. I'll be here if you need any further assistance.... Good luck with the rest of the build....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan