Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
Star Wars Trench run diorama Options
darbyvet
#1 Posted : 09 April 2018 20:23:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

so I remodeled my office at work and now have a shelf.It is the perfect size to do a trench run diorama.I have some FineMolds 1/72 Y wings and I built Bandais 1/72 Red one X wing, 2 tie fighters and Vaders Tie interceptors.

The Bandai kits come with a death star tile.I will be 3d designing and printing several other tiles so I can make the trench.Once I have enough tile designs done I will be making molds and casting the tiles to make enough to cover the base.I will likely need well over 100 tiles it will be a little while before I start work on the trench itself.

Here are the ships on the base that I will be sing.I will also be building a back wall to the trench.

The Finemolds ships are already finished.I have to weather the X wing and Ties.

Carl

darbyvet attached the following image(s):
trench1.jpg
trench2.jpg
CaptnBirdseye
#2 Posted : 09 April 2018 21:02:19

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Now that will look really something! Hope it all comes together for you as you envision Love
Should look ace
Regards Gray
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 09 April 2018 21:09:43

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Looking forward to seeing how this comes together. Nice one Carl.BigGrin ThumpUp

Mark
delboy271155
#4 Posted : 09 April 2018 21:48:57

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Very interesting project.

Cool Cool Cool

Good luck

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Gandale
#5 Posted : 09 April 2018 23:44:50

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very interesting project to follow, think I'm going to enjoy seeing this one....Cool Cool .. Good luck with it Carl....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Metal Mech
#6 Posted : 10 April 2018 11:41:32

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Are you going to get the 1/72 Falcon from Bandai to go with it ๐Ÿ˜

DeAgostini kit builds:

Millennium Falcon: 18% Complete
Shelby GT-500: 28% Complete
Thunderbird 2: 13.75% Complete
darbyvet
#7 Posted : 10 April 2018 15:58:41

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Moderator, Tech Support, Technical Support, Forum Support Team, Forum Support USA, Global Forum Support, Global Forum Support Team

Metal Mech wrote:
Are you going to get the 1/72 Falcon from Bandai to go with it ๐Ÿ˜

Thinking about it.I have the kit and there would be enough room on the shelf for it.

Carl

darbyvet
#8 Posted : 10 April 2018 16:05:10

So here are the tiles that come with the Bandai kits.Each different ship has a different tile.I have some tiles I bought years ago and I am using those as a guide to make 2 more tiles so I have 6 to work with.Apparently for the filming model of the trench run they had 6 tiles they used in different orientations and the Bandai tiles are very accurate copies.

The base will be 4 feet long and 12 inches deep and 13 inches tall so I will need about 140 tiles altogether.Once I have the other 2 tiles done I will print them and then mould all 6 and start pouring the resin.

Carl
trench3.jpg
Metal Mech
#9 Posted : 10 April 2018 17:12:53

I was also gonna ask, why the fine molds y-wings? Doesnโ€™t Bandai make them as well?

DeAgostini kit builds:

darbyvet
#10 Posted : 10 April 2018 17:54:39

Metal Mech wrote:
I was also gonna ask, why the fine molds y-wings? Doesnโ€™t Bandai make them as well?

I had already built the Fine molds ones and the Bandai ones are very nice, but Bandais decals are awful.They are really thick and dont conform well to curved srufaces.Even with multiple applications of microset and microsol they didnt adhere well on the X wing.

Carl

Markwarren
#11 Posted : 10 April 2018 19:34:18

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice Carl, will we be getting laser fire and lights? BigGrin

Mark
godan61
#12 Posted : 11 April 2018 21:58:21

Competition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Really looking forward to this as this scene is won of my favourite
darbyvet
#13 Posted : 12 April 2018 01:36:28

Markwarren wrote:
Very nice Carl, will we be getting laser fire and lights? BigGrin

Mark

Thanks guys,
Mark I was going to do lights and sound, but I think that will be too distracting because it will be in my exam room.

Carl

jase
#14 Posted : 12 April 2018 06:23:17

This looks intresting, will you be adding a cannon to the back wall?

Good luck with it Jase
โ€œWhenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.โ€
-Mark Twain
tigerace
#15 Posted : 12 April 2018 11:22:31

Now this looks interesting CarlBigGrin love this scene from the movieLove will be followingBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

ian smith
#16 Posted : 13 April 2018 13:08:52

Hi Carl.
look forward to seeing this one come together.
Ian Cool
Current builds.Hachettes build the bismark,HMS Victory, HMS Hood.
Finished Builds Corel HMS Victory cross section.
arpurchase
#17 Posted : 22 April 2018 21:30:31

BigGrin Should look good when its finishedCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

darbyvet
#18 Posted : 22 April 2018 23:08:06

I 3d designed and printed 2 more tiles for the trench run and made a piece for the inside edge where the wall meets the floor of the trench.I have to scribe some lines on the tiles and then they will be molded and cast in resin.I figure I will need about 150 tiles so it will take a while to cast them all.

The first picture is the 3d printed tile curing in the curing oven.
trench4.jpg
trench5.jpg
trench6.jpg
trench7.jpg
trench8.jpg
Markwarren
#19 Posted : 23 April 2018 07:20:18

Excellent work, looks like you are going to be busy.BigGrin

Mark
Metal Mech
#20 Posted : 23 April 2018 17:29:56

Going to look amazing when itโ€™s done.

DeAgostini kit builds: