Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
MP-50 Birthday Droid Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 17 April 2018 10:52:16

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

I have started this build log, although it will hopefully not be a very long build. My brother in law is 50 this weekend and is also an avid Star Wars fan. As we are meeting up with them this weekend, I was asked if I could make something Star Warsy, if that’s a word, to place on the cake. So, getting my thinking cap on, and only having until Thursday and evenings after work to complete it, I have decided to build a droid. It will be call MP-50, his initials and age, if you didn’t already guess. It will also have a front panel open and the grabber tool holding a small birthday card.

Having some spare parts left over from the C-3PO R2-D2 diorama, I started spray painting some of the parts on Sunday evening. I decided to go with a black, grey and silver theme with a little orange to the front and head, that’s the plan anyway.
I was going to spray the main body in gloss black, but this will take several days to dry and harden, so plan “B” was to paint it matt black and spay the whole model with a quick drying gloss varnish once finished. I also used a matt grey and a quick drying metallic silver.

Monday Evening
I started piecing some of the parts together. First, I made the head which comes in two parts and needed the seems filling and sanding. This was then spayed again and left to dry. I have also painted an orange colour for the head panels and top body parts. This was a mixture of red and bright orange using Vallejo paints. I then placed these in the airing cupboard overnight to dry.

The plan is to have the droid built by Tuesday evening, so by Wednesday I can start the detailing and a little weathering. Thursday spray with varnish and build the base with some metal grating. Done
Back soon…….
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 01.jpg
Photo 02.jpg
Photo 03.jpg
Photo 04.jpg
Photo 05.jpg
tigerace
#2 Posted : 17 April 2018 11:55:23

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Nice one MarkBigGrin love these buildsDrool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

CaptnBirdseye
#3 Posted : 17 April 2018 13:02:10

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

What a fantastic idea for a birthday cake centre-piece!
Will be following your progress with interest Cool

Regards
Gray
arpurchase
#4 Posted : 17 April 2018 18:07:12

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Great idea and looking good so farCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Markwarren
#5 Posted : 17 April 2018 23:01:02

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Thank you guys for looking in and your kind comments.BigGrin

Mark
delboy271155
#6 Posted : 17 April 2018 23:13:05

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Happy 50th MP ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Nice thought Mark

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Markwarren
#7 Posted : 17 April 2018 23:18:29

Markwarren
#8 Posted : 17 April 2018 23:19:15

Tuesday Evening
As you can probably tell, I’m making this up as I go along. I have now finished making up the droid, apart from a couple of minor pieces, which I will attach at the final stage. I have also inserted some plasticine and lead weights inside the droid to make it feel a little more substantial.
There is still a lot of fine painting to do and a little more weathering, particularly on the silver parts to give it more a metallic feel. You will also see that I have opted to dry brush the black areas, to give him a more rugged look. It also brings out the panel lines.
I have also done a mock up birthday card.
That’s it for this evening, tomorrow I will finish the painting and weathering and start on the grated base to place him on.
Back soon…..

Photo 06.jpg
Photo 07.jpg
Photo 08.jpg
Photo 09.jpg
CaptnBirdseye
#9 Posted : 18 April 2018 12:49:33

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That's just......BRILLIANT! Love
I think your brother-in-law will be exstatic with his gift.
And one lucky birthday boy Cool

Regards
Gray
tigerace
#10 Posted : 18 April 2018 13:18:29

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

That so cool Mark BigGrin he will be well chuffed with thatDrool Drool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Markwarren
#11 Posted : 18 April 2018 23:53:16

Many thanks Gray and Phil.

Wednesday Evening
I have finished the detailing on MP-50 now, even given him some go faster stripes. Just need to let him dry overnight, ready to lightly matt varnish him to seal everything in.

On to the base. I used the base that came with the kit, but it was light and very flimsy. So, to make it feel a little more substantial, I placed some lead into the base and secured it with modelling clay. I then glued some styrene sheet on the underside to seal everything in.
This made a good base, which had some weight to it now. Next, I measured out 4 squares, where the metal grating will be.
The last picture shows the grating in place.
So tomorrow this will be primed, left to dry for an hour or so, while I varnish the droid, and then painted with a Metalcote paint.
The name tag might have to wait for a while until I get a chance to do one.
So, nearly there, only have tomorrow to complete this project, but I’m on track.

Back soon

Photo 10.jpg
Photo 11.jpg
Photo 12.jpg
Photo 13.jpg
Photo 14.jpg
Photo 15.jpg
Photo 16.jpg
Photo 17.jpg
arpurchase
#12 Posted : 19 April 2018 07:19:56

BigGrin Very nice work and should look the dogs when finishedCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

delboy271155
#13 Posted : 19 April 2018 07:28:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Base looks great. Cool Cool

Just hope you havn`t put too much lead in it or it will sink through the cake. Blink Blink

Unless its a rock cake. LOL

DOH, who`s cooking it? Blushing

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Markwarren
#14 Posted : 19 April 2018 10:06:11

Many thanks Andy & Derek
I was going to make the cake as well, but I’ll have no time.
So a bought one I’m afraid as the wife doesn’t make cakes, only door stops, but don’t tell her. Crying The droid will sit on the cake and the base is for after cake use, to display. Just as well really it would probably flatten it.LOL

Mark
Spudtrooper37
#15 Posted : 19 April 2018 20:53:32

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Awesome work in such little time
The attention to detail (the Birthday card) is great..

My birthday is in November 😉
Darren

Have an AWSOME day and may the Force be with you always 😉

Building: Millennium Falcon https://forum.model-spac...sts&t=14381&p=7 - Building: BTTF Delorean - Building: Dom's Dodge Charger
- Building : X-Wing https://forum.model-spac...aspx?g=posts&t=34899
Markwarren
#16 Posted : 19 April 2018 22:31:14

Many thanks Darren, I've made a diary note.LOL
Markwarren
#17 Posted : 19 April 2018 23:01:31

Thursday Evening
Here you can see I have now finished MP-50. First was the base, which is as heavy as it looks. I have also added a red felt on the bottom.
It has also had a coat of Matt varnish, now all the weathering has dried over night. I have also added the last of the little details.
It has certainly kept me busy over the last few days, but I’m pleased how he has turned out. Just hope the birthday boy likes him.
Many thanks to you all for watching. Just glad I’m not making the cake as well.Crying

Photo 19.jpg
Photo 20.jpg
Photo 20a.jpg
Photo 20b.jpg
Photo 21.jpg
Photo 22.jpg
Photo 22a.jpg
Photo 25.jpg
Photo 26.jpg
Photo 27.jpg
arpurchase
#18 Posted : 20 April 2018 07:47:42

BigGrin Your spoiling the guy cake as well!!!!!!no seriously looking good and well doneCool

Markwarren
#19 Posted : 21 April 2018 08:40:42

Many thanks Andy, he will get to see it later this eneving.Crying

Mark
Tomick
#20 Posted : 21 April 2018 09:01:05

Groups:

That’s really cool, well done and am sure he’s going to love it Cool