Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

3 Pages 123>
My build of an Antonov An-124 Options
delboy271155
#1 Posted : 25 April 2018 00:06:37

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

The Revell Antonov An-124 "Ruslan" 1:144 Scale

When I have nothing else to do (that`s a laugh)I`ll be building this for a friend at work.

She`s been let down by another guy twice now, so two of us have pitched in to get it built for her.

For those who don`t know we work at East Midlands Airport and the Antonov pays regular visits to deliver and collect cargo.

It is an immense plane that can be loaded from the front or the rear. From the front the whole cockpit section is raised and with the front undercarriage lowered in kneels down to allow cargo to be loaded. It is also equipped with its own roller bed system engineered for the job.

During redevelopment at the airport the Antanov was visible from the road (see attached pic).

Expecting delivery of the kit in the next couple of days, so will put up a review prior to the build.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
delboy271155 attached the following image(s):
20150806_194940.jpg
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

Sticky Wickett
#2 Posted : 25 April 2018 17:31:24

Publisher Medal: December 2019 Modeler of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Are you going to build it 'nose-up' Del?

Regards,
Phil W.
Completed projects: 1/43 scale Bedford HA van / 1/43 scale MG TD sports car
Current projects: 1/48 scale U-boat [U230]
Future projects: 1/148 scale railway diorama / 1/50 scale R/C Volvo F89 logging truck / 1/148 scale Thunderbirds Fireflash
delboy271155
#3 Posted : 25 April 2018 18:30:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Sticky Wickett wrote:
Are you going to build it 'nose-up' Del?

Regards,
Phil W.

Hi Phil,BigGrin

That`s a decision to be made.Blink

Depends on the amount of interior detail that can be seen and as yet the kit has not been delivered, so I don`t know if its hinged or if not is it possible to make it hinged.

Will let you know soon.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

Gandale
#4 Posted : 26 April 2018 09:39:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Look forward to seeing your work on this Derek, good luck with the build....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
delboy271155
#5 Posted : 26 April 2018 14:39:13

Hi thanks for the interest.Cool

I`ve just taken delivery of this kit and initial thoughts are it looks good as I can see very little that needs a clean-up before assembly.

Here`s some of the kit details, pics to follow later:

Can be built in 1 of 5 options
Scale 1:144
Part count 178 to cover all build options
Length 48 cms
Wingspan 51 cms

The "which way to build" decision is yet to be made until I get deep into the contents and instructions.

More soon.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

ModelMania
#6 Posted : 26 April 2018 20:31:41

Groups:

Looks like this could be an interesting build of a very cool aircraft Derek and a fair sized model too even in 1:144 scale.

Will be following when you start and good luck with the build. Cool ThumpUp

Kev Smile
Spal
#7 Posted : 27 April 2018 00:35:17

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

I have one of these in the stash so will be watching how you get on BigGrin

Al
delboy271155
#8 Posted : 27 April 2018 18:42:23

Spal wrote:
I have one of these in the stash so will be watching how you get on BigGrin

Al

No pressure then. LOL LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

delboy271155
#9 Posted : 27 April 2018 18:58:00

Thanks for the interest. Cool Cool

Now here`s the plan and some pics of the kit parts.

Have made the choice to build this showing as much detail as possible, so to that end it will be on the tarmac, all access points open and ramps extended.

The front end will not be hinged as I`d have to work on the hydrauilic rams and ramps to get them moving, as well as the cockpit and dont have that much time. So what I`m looking into is the possibility of lighting the cargo bay.

Have attached the parts pics below and the quality seems excellent, just hope the fit is as good.

Oh and there`s hundreds of tiny decals.Crying LOL

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG

ModelMania
#10 Posted : 28 April 2018 08:27:52

Groups:

Looks a lovely kit Derek, I wish you success with the build and good luck with all of those wheels and decals! Blink ThumpUp

Kev Smile
mogwai
#11 Posted : 28 April 2018 17:10:29

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi looks a nice kit,don't envy you with all them decals though,will be following cheers mick.BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
tigerace
#12 Posted : 28 April 2018 17:53:25

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Great looking kitBigGrin should be a fun build DerekBigGrin regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

delboy271155
#13 Posted : 22 May 2018 20:55:58

Hi All, BigGrin

Decision has been made to show this great plane in its unloading/loading position, ie kneeling at the front with cockpit raised and tailgate open.

Been doing some research and extra part purchasing since my last post.

What I`m aiming for is to:

Light the cockpit.

Light the cargo bay.

Light the wing tip (navigation) lights - still working on this as space is at a minimum through the wings. Blink

Keep the power supply for the lighting obscure in the diorama.

So this is where I`m at.

Purchased:

Power supply - variable output from 3v to 12v dc with variable output plugs.

Input power socket to fit in the display base.

Switch to power up the base.

LED`s, shrink wrap and wiring

Now I needed a way to get the power into the plane for the internal lighting, so have purchased a mobile generator in the same scale 1:144 from shapeways. This may not be true to form but with a bit of poetic licence it`s better than having wires appearing from the floor of the dio and going somewhere through the fuselage of the plane.

So I`m going to feed the power through the base and then (hidden) through the generator and have it exit the generator as a pair of power supply cables. These will be fed into the plane via the lowered rear hatch.

So that`s the planning so far.Blink Blink

I have attached one pic on a scruffy table just to show the little progress made with the internal lighting. One led through the cockpit bulkhead and four led`s through the cargo bay ceiling and the main power feed is also in place plus another pic of the mobile generator.

One good thing with this kit is that the fuselage is double skinned so should cut down on any light bleed.

Until the next update.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

20180522_185705.jpg
Generator.jpg

delboy271155
#14 Posted : 16 June 2018 19:44:57

Just a small update of bits done when time allowed and had the airbrush fired up for other jobs.Blink

I`ve made a route for the cables through the generator.

Paited up the roof, floor and one side of the walls of the cargo bay.

Next is to check how the lights work in the cargo hold with one side on and then test fit the other wall of the hold to see how it works fully enclosed.

In case the lighting is not at its best the plan can still be adjusted before the outer fusealage is fixed.

So till the next update.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
9.jpg
10.JPG
11.JPG
12.JPG

Gandale
#15 Posted : 16 June 2018 21:43:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Making good progress Derek, looking good.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Spal
#16 Posted : 16 June 2018 23:13:57

Nice update DerekBigGrin will look great lit up.

Al
jase
#17 Posted : 17 June 2018 07:41:26

Loving the build Love Love

I remember watching three nimrod fuselages being unloaded from one of these at Woodford airdrome when I worked at BAE Systems, they are just hugeCool

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
arpurchase
#18 Posted : 17 June 2018 08:39:53

BigGrin Looking goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Markwarren
#19 Posted : 17 June 2018 08:58:37

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work Derek. Love I’m looking forward to seeing this one come together.ThumpUp

Mark
delboy271155
#20 Posted : 27 June 2018 12:31:47

Hi all,BigGrin

I`ve just run a lighting test on the inner fuselage to see if there was too much or too little.Blink

Results shown below: first with one side open and the second enclosed and viewed through the cargo bay.

I`m happy with that, there is a bit of glare off the floor of the cargo bay that the camera has emphasised but its not quite so glary to the eye.

Next job to do is permanently fit the second side of the inner fuselage.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
13.jpg
14.jpg