Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
HMS Surprise build by Scott Options
Milw
#1 Posted : 19 May 2018 16:26:38

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

Hi all, I’ve just ordered the Surprise subscription, after starting a C. Mamoli “Surprise” aka “La Gloire” and realizing that it’s totally wrong. Looking forward to the first pack and getting inspired by all the amazing builds,
Cheers- Scott
(Whoops, just trying to get image loaded!)
Milw attached the following image(s):
IMG_May192018at103815AM.jpg
delboy271155
#2 Posted : 19 May 2018 16:43:46

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Hi Scott, BigGrin

Welcome to the forum.Cool Cool

You`ll find all the help and advice you may need right here and I look forward to seeing your build progress.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)

COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#3 Posted : 19 May 2018 19:29:15

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Welcome to the forum and have fun with your buildCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

jase
#4 Posted : 19 May 2018 20:15:40

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcom to the forum looking forward to seeing your build

Jase
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
Matelot one
#5 Posted : 19 May 2018 21:56:22

Scott, It's nice to see someone new and Welcome, Looking forward to your build!
________________________________________________________________________________________

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
Matelot (ˈmætləʊ) , Matlo or Matlow
noun
(Nautical Terms) slang chiefly Brit - a sailor

Gandale
#6 Posted : 19 May 2018 22:29:58

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Its great to have you with us Scott, hope you enjoy your time with us.....Cool Cool .. Look forward to seeing how your build progresses.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
TRGRichie
#7 Posted : 20 May 2018 16:08:52

Turquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good luck, and welcome aboard.

Rich
AUTO FRUMP STOMPER
Custom Porsche RS Build - http://forum.model-space...aspx?g=posts&t=25728
magpie1832
#8 Posted : 21 May 2018 23:57:39

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome Scott, I look forward to seeing your build start. Great choice of kit as she makes a mighty fine Ship when done (not finished mine yet Shhh!).LOL

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Milw
#9 Posted : 25 May 2018 04:04:40

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! The first package arrived today, and I’m going to take my time to get this right. My first question- the main frame reinforcement pieces seem to extend all the way to the bottom of the keel- does that extra thickness from 3 layers of ply get dealt with later? I did find the PDFs for the entire build on the modelspace.uk site, so presumably its in one of the build guides?
Here’s my first unpacking pix! cheers- Scott
(by the way, is it better to attach images through the forum interface, or link to Photobucket-hosted images?)
Edit: these images are 640x480 but just appear as links on my phone, and it doesn’t appear possible to edit or replace them once attached?)
pack1.jpg
sheets.jpg
magpie1832
#10 Posted : 25 May 2018 08:10:23

Good to hear you have got your first pack.
The planks do thicken up the keel but all is ok as you progress through it as it causes no problems. You also add a false keel if that's what you were worried about.

As with pictures, if you resize your photos to 650 X 466 you can use the forums attach files system. Don't use photobucket unless you pay for it. Your pictures are safer using the forum method.

Many thanks
Chris Cool
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

Gandale
#11 Posted : 25 May 2018 08:27:39

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Great to hear you have your first pack, enjoy the build and I look forward to seeing how you progress... Cool Cool ... As for your pics, forum recommends you do not use any file sharing sites but to use the forum's own upload facility...

Good luck with the build....

Regards

Alan
Milw
#12 Posted : 26 May 2018 19:47:44

Frame fitting- some are a bit loose & wobbly, some others required sanding of the slots. All left unglued at this point, and I’m still planning where to drill wiring holes for LED lighting.
bFrames.jpg
Matelot one
#13 Posted : 27 May 2018 14:41:27

Nice start to your ship Scott. Could you attach your images like the first one you did, as it's a pain if you are browsing on a phone to have to download to view. Cheers
________________________________________________________________________________________

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
noun

Milw
#14 Posted : 27 May 2018 19:04:07

OK, now I think it's showing up- seems to take the forum a few minutes to display it? Here's the stern frame 25 with stern collars 26.
sternFrame.jpg
Matelot one
#15 Posted : 27 May 2018 20:16:19

Scott,

That's great thanks BigGrin

Built Mare Nostrum
Google Photo Album
noun

Gandale
#16 Posted : 27 May 2018 23:11:53

Nice start and its good to see this build progressing so you can count me in as one of your followers.... Look forward to your next update.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Milw
#17 Posted : 02 July 2018 03:44:21

Hi all, the second installment has arrived with plywood gun deck and assorted planking for the deck and hull. I do have a few questions (lower down) but first the fitting of the deck plywoods! I glued some white paper on the vertical keel so I could mark and see the centerline more easily.
IMG_1691-640.jpg
IMG_1692-640.jpg
Milw
#18 Posted : 02 July 2018 03:55:18

I added some extra blocking behind the first frame (Frame 5) with the winding frames, since it had a bit of play. It was clamped with a right-angle block while the glue dried to ensure frame 5 is square to the vertical keel.
After attaching the gundeck plywood, it seems the plywood extends out a bit past frame 16, but doesn't quite extend out to the outer edge of frame 10 (second and third images below.). I think the extra ply should be trimmed back to match the frame before planking, but up front the deck planking should come out a bit to be fair with the outside of frame 10?
IMG_1696-640.jpg
IMG_1701-640.jpg
IMG_1703-640.jpg
magpie1832
#19 Posted : 02 July 2018 07:54:11

Looking good, the deck does sand down when faired. There also may be a small gap but isn't seen as there is an inner layer added and most of it isn't seen after the main deck is in place.

Chris
On the bench

arpurchase
#20 Posted : 02 July 2018 08:01:27

BigGrin Looking good and nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .