Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

R2-D2 customised build page 11 Options
Markwarren
#1 Posted : 28 May 2018 20:05:45

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

I have screwed together the body frame as shown in the first set of pictures. I then finished putting in the remaining Allen bolts to the internal dome. The next stage was to put the lightsaber mechanism into the dome. Once this was fitted, I then connected all the cables to the mother board.
Finally, I then primed the side panels and blue parts in readiness.

More soon
Markwarren attached the following image(s):
Photo 288.jpg
Photo 289.jpg
Photo 290.jpg
Photo 291.jpg
Photo 292.jpg
Photo 293.jpg
Photo 294.jpg
Photo 295.jpg
Photo 296.jpg
Photo 297.jpg
Photo 298.jpg
Photo 299.jpg
Markwarren
#2 Posted : 03 June 2018 16:20:18

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

I have painted all the white panels with satin white as I have done previously. I then painted all the blue panels, varnished them and allowed to dry for several days. The silver pieces had the starship filth treatment, to give them a more metallic and dirty feel to them.
Next, was the external vent/speaker assembly. I painted the silver parts with starship filth once the blue parts had been painted. The internal back part of the vent was painted black around the blue area, to give it more depth and shadow when the two pieces are attached. I then finished the speaker housing on the inside of the panel as seen. You can see in the picture with the vent in place how the black paint enhances the blue panels.
Next, I then softly sanded the blue panel, not too much, just enough to take some of the varnish shine off before attaching all the pieces to the relevant panels.
Once I have all the panels made up, it will be then that I weather them in the same way as the legs.

More soon

Photo 300.jpg
Photo 301.jpg
Photo 302.jpg
Photo 303.jpg
Photo 304.jpg
Photo 305.jpg
Photo 306.jpg
Photo 307.jpg
Photo 310.jpg
Photo 311.jpg
Markwarren
#3 Posted : 09 July 2018 07:42:41

The first picture shows I have added some more to the body frame. This is now beginning to have some weight to it.
Next, was to prime the front body panel and some of the blue parts allowing them to dry before painting their top coats. The next set of pictures show the smaller inner parts painted silver, ready for the blue coats to be put on. I have also painted the main front body panel white. When this has had time to dry, I will paint the inner arm recesses with black metallic.
The inner tool panel has been weathered and varnished along with the smaller inner panels.
You will also see I have painted the white opening door panel with satin white, but I have painted the hinges silver. The hinges will be weathered slightly with some metallic powder.

More Soon

Photo 312.jpg
Photo 313.jpg
Photo 314.jpg
Photo 315.jpg
Photo 316.jpg
Photo 317.jpg
Photo 318.jpg
Markwarren
#4 Posted : 16 July 2018 07:29:36

On to the tools compartment. Looking at the parts supplied, I decided to do a little customisation with them. The first arm, I cut the centre section out, keeping the top and bottom parts as shown in the first picture. I then drilled out a hole in the bottom part and glued a piece of brass rod cut to size. Taking a piece of hollow styrene tubing, I measured the original part I cut away and cut it to size as shown. This was then glued onto the brass rod. Again, measuring against the original part, I cut a piece of brass rod to size and drilled a hole in the top piece. I then glued the brass rod into place. The next pictures show the arm assembled against the part that was cut away. The final picture of this arm is shown with the grab in place, although not glued in at this stage.

Photo 320.jpg
Photo 321.jpg
Photo 322.jpg
Photo 323.jpg
Photo 324.jpg
Photo 325.jpg
Photo 326.jpg
Photo 327.jpg
Photo 328.jpg
Photo 329.jpg
Markwarren
#5 Posted : 16 July 2018 07:32:01

On to the next arm. The first picture shows the part that was cut away. I then drilled a hole large enough for the styrene tubing to pass through. I then cut the tubing at the right length and fed it through the top, glueing into place at the bottom as shown.
I then cut off the bottom part of the grab hand that is normally glued into the arm. This was then drilled in the same way as before. A measured piece of brass rod was then attached to this part as shown. The last few pictures show the part assembled and working.

Photo 330.jpg
Photo 331.jpg
Photo 332.jpg
Photo 333.jpg
Photo 334.jpg
Photo 335.jpg
Photo 336.jpg
Photo 337.jpg
Photo 338.jpg
Photo 339.jpg
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 16 July 2018 07:34:16

All the parts were then painted and assembled ready to fit into the tool compartment. The larger manipulator arm is sometimes shown in different positions as it can spin as well as extend on R2. I have adapted the arm so it can be positioned in different angles rather than fixed in one position.
I first got hold of a spring, one you would normally find in a pen, and cut it to size. Using a larger screw, one that looks like a washer attached, I screwed it the the arm, leaving enough space to allow me to pull on the arm and twist it into different positions, as shown in the pictures.

I then attached the door to the inner assembly and then attached it to the main panel. The last few pictures show it completed.

More soon.
Photo 340.jpg
Photo 341.jpg
Photo 342.jpg
Photo 343.jpg
Photo 344.jpg
Photo 345.jpg
Photo 346.jpg
Photo 347.jpg
Photo 348.jpg
Photo 349.jpg
Photo 350.jpg
Photo 351.jpg
Photo 352.jpg
Photo 353.jpg
Photo 354.jpg
Markwarren
#7 Posted : 23 July 2018 07:44:21

The blue painted parts have now been done for the front panel, and have been attached. Once this piece has been completed with the parts, I will start to weather all the panels.
Photo 355.jpg
Photo 356.jpg
Photo 357.jpg
Photo 358.jpg
Markwarren
#8 Posted : 13 August 2018 23:03:15

Here, you can see I have weathered the internal panel parts. These were left to dry and then varnished to seal the oils.
I have also primed the outer panels ready for the white coat and painted the hinges silver as shown in the third picture, as I did before in a previous post.
I then primed and painted the blue panels silver ready for the blue paint to be applied, once the silver has had time to dry.
The next picture shows how I have added some wiring to the inside of the panels, just to give it a more aesthetic appearance. The last is a dry run to see how it will look.

More soon.

Photo 359.jpg
Photo 360.jpg
Photo 361.jpg
Photo 362.jpg
Photo 363.jpg
Photo 364.jpg