Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

24 Pages «<2021222324>
My build another sequel Options
arpurchase
#421 Posted : 02 April 2013 18:40:27

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Hi Yaturo
Thank you very much for you kind words and continued support, The deck colour looks just right I think after the major components have been fitted and yes its been a long road but close to the finish now
regards
AndyCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

arpurchase
#422 Posted : 02 April 2013 21:42:30

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Hi All
The last of the 12 machine guns mounts made up and undercoatedWoot Woot
regards
AndyCool
arpurchase attached the following image(s):
P4020098.JPG
P4020099.JPG
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

jase
#423 Posted : 02 April 2013 23:01:19

Looking good Andy, what do you use for undercoat?
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.”
-Mark Twain
arpurchase
#424 Posted : 02 April 2013 23:40:30

BigGrin Hi Jase
I normaly use Halfords bog standard grey undercoat or the yellow one with filler 500 ml cans work out more economic but iv been trying out the Supa-dec brand as its good for metal wood and plastic and seems to give a good coat. Hope this helps and thanks for looking in
regards
AndyCool

arpurchase
#425 Posted : 03 April 2013 21:43:28

BigGrin Hi All
Quick update the machine guns have now been fitted to there various stations
regards
AndyCool
P4030100.JPG
P4030101.JPG
P4030103.JPG
P4030104.JPG
P4030105.JPG

Yutaro HONMA
#426 Posted : 04 April 2013 01:34:14

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Andy!BigGrin
Your Yamato is close to the glorious goal day by day. By the way, I have one question about the colour of the waterproof clothes of main and sub main gun's barrels. I think flat white is indicated to paint here. Are there any reasons for the colour.Confused
Best Regards,
Yutaro
DeAGOSTINI 1/250 the YAMATO, 1/250 the AKAGI.
Hasegawa Co. 1/350 Battle ship NGATO, 1/350 Aircraft carrier Akagi, Battle ship MIKASA.
Water line series 1/700 Battle ship YAMATO, HIEI, YAMASHIRO, Aircraft carrier HIRYU,TAIHO, Heavy Cruiser Myoukou, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro & others.
arpurchase
#427 Posted : 04 April 2013 22:24:41

BigGrin Hi Yaturo
Thanks for your comments very much appreciated.
As for your question about the blast bags my information indicates that during peace time it was usual as you say for these blast bags to be made from white canvas as were the forward and rear deck awnings when in port. But when the Yamato was in a war situation these were replaced with brown canvas to help with camouflage I presume
regards
AndyCool

Gandale
#428 Posted : 04 April 2013 23:16:07

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Attention to detail is stunning Andy..... love it.... BigGrin BigGrin

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#429 Posted : 05 April 2013 23:34:06

BigGrin Hi Alan
thank you for your comments most appreciated
regards
AndyCool

PS oooops forgot the machine guns on the turret's doooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

budgie
#430 Posted : 06 April 2013 00:39:24

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour

Drool Drool Droolfantastic buildDrool Drool Drool

Crying Such a shame it is nearing the end

Cool What's your next project Andy
arpurchase
#431 Posted : 06 April 2013 13:22:29

BigGrin Hi Budgie
I have to admit iv enjoyed building my 1st large scale boat and thanks for the comments very much apreciated.
As for a next model I still have the Akagi to finish but im hopping to get the armour,trian sets that will be soon available also I do fancy the Trinidad so that's on the cards big style
regards
Andy

arpurchase
#432 Posted : 07 April 2013 18:26:21

BigGrin Hi All
getting towards the end now , made up the aircraft cradles and trolly's out of etch and painted them. The flag staffs have also been made up and fitted I deviated a little here and made the bow staff out of brass tube as the supplied wire was to bent to be usefull.
The majority of the etch railings have also been fitted [ well 1 side and one thirdLOL ]. The eagle eyed will have noticed there's still two machine guns to make up there being painted ready for fitting. AS always all comments /questions are welcome
regards
Andy Cool
P4070128.JPG
P4070133.JPG
P4070134.JPG
P4070135.JPG
P4070136.JPG
P4070137.JPG
P4070138.JPG
P4070139.JPG
P4070141.JPG
P4070142.JPG
P4070143.JPG
P4070144.JPG
P4070145.JPG
P4070146.JPG
P4070147.JPG

Gandale
#433 Posted : 07 April 2013 22:43:21

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Andy, have loved following this build and in a way it's a shame it is coming to an end with no more updates on her to come..... Will just have to look forward to your next project... This one is a credit to you... very well done.....BigGrin BigGrin Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
arpurchase
#434 Posted : 07 April 2013 23:03:34

BigGrin Hi Alan
Thank's for the kind words still a little to do yet like the rigging [ well communication wires] and im not sure about adding some rust or to leave her as she is
regards
AndyCool

Yutaro HONMA
#435 Posted : 08 April 2013 09:20:20

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi Andy!
 Your building diaries of the Yamato and others are also famous with my Japanese friends who built DeAGOSTINI Japan's Yamato model several years ago. We often talk about warship models and others by using e-mail, blog and other net methods, and your Yamato especially color of her blast bags became the talk of us. We discussed about the color as below. I’m happy if you refer to our discussion.

As I attached the picture #1(HMS Prince of Wales) and #2(HMS Vanguard), the color of blast bags of these ships seem to be dark brown. We think that such blast bag’s color image is very familiar to UK modelers.
On the other hands, as I show in pictures #3 (Yamato in battle on 1945 April 7th) and picture #4(magnification of #3), the blast bags of the Yamato looked like white or light color.
I attach additional picture #5(the battle ship NAGATO in 1944). The color of blast bags is also guessed to be white. We have not seen blast bags in dark color in any pictures of IJN warships even if they were in battle period.

That is the reason why we, Japanese modelers feel it strange that blast bags are painted in brownish dark color.

In addition one person pointed the color of machine guns. IJN was so poor that they could not paint the machine guns as shown in picture #6. He said that Machine gun models are recommended to be painted in dark metallic color.

Although we discussed as above, our conclusion was that a victorious nation is privileged to paint the captured ship in the nation navy’s color and pattern since old ancient times.

I beg your pardon for my meddling in your affairs.Blushing

Best Regards,
Yutaro
Yutaro HONMA attached the following image(s):
No_1.jpg
No_2.jpg
No_3.jpg
No_4.jpg
No_5.jpg
No_6.jpg
Hasegawa Co. 1/350 Battle ship NGATO, 1/350 Aircraft carrier Akagi, Battle ship MIKASA.
Water line series 1/700 Battle ship YAMATO, HIEI, YAMASHIRO, Aircraft carrier HIRYU,TAIHO, Heavy Cruiser Myoukou, Ashigara, Nachi, Haguro & others.
arpurchase
#436 Posted : 08 April 2013 20:55:51

BigGrin Hi Yaturo
Thanks for looking in and the information about your friends in Japan finding my build of interestBlushing , I just hope that im doing her the justice she deserves.
As for the colour of the blast bags, to quote from the Anatomy of the Ship, The Battleship Yamato, Page 22 , Wartime Colour Schemes, it says in number '5' of the listed colours

' Brown[ canvas] was used for the blast bags and gun muzzle covers'

,Janusz Skulski has been recognised by the Japanese government for his in depth research on the Yamato even finding things they didn't have or know about.
Old black and white pictures can change with age plus you have to remember at this time film for photography was of a poor quality and also with the light shining directly onto the blast bags it can have the effect of bleaching darker colours but I enclose two pictures I have where the blast bags are a far darker colour than the white canvas, I agree the muzzle covers are white in the 1st picture but to my eyes the blast bags are of darker colour in them.
One other point to make is that the IJN was very loosely based on British Navel Power and its practices hence my argument of the RN practice of white canvas in peace time and brown in war time.
As for the machine guns I agree they should be either black or dark gun metal but im sure yourself and your friends will allow this small piece of artistic licence in my tribute to a great lady of the sea.
regards
Andy
tykkikuva.jpg
Yamato.jpg

bluedot0
#437 Posted : 09 April 2013 02:54:15

Brilliant work Andy, she looks a treat....I'm disappointed that she hasn't been released here in Australia yet....still waiting....Phil
You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.

Building - Bismarck, Akagi, Warspite, Gato, USS Enterprise (carrier) and D51
Yutaro HONMA
#438 Posted : 09 April 2013 08:12:36

Hi Andy!
I and my friends are surprised at the content of your last post. We are now exchanging views on this matter, because it is our common sense that the color of the blast bags were white or light color stained with weathering.
Before posting our conclusion, I post one picture that was taken by USA Navy just before the Yamato’s last voyage for Okinawa.
The first main guns turret has three light color blast bags, and the second turret has only one light color blast bags of the center barrel. And the third one has no blast bags. Considering the quality of the old photograph or the effect of the degeneration, I can’t think that the contrast between the blast bags and other structures painted in IJN gray were reversed.
Of course I’m sure that the color might be brown that Janusz Skulski has been recognized, but I guess it was not dark brown but light brown whose contrast was equal or near to IJN gray. at least
Finally telling a truth, I am really surprisedScared Scared at the picture of the Yamato in sea trial. The blast bags were surely dark then!
Best Regards,
Yutaro
File Attachment(s):
000103.jpg (264kb) downloaded 117 time(s).
arpurchase
#439 Posted : 09 April 2013 10:23:20

BigGrin Hi Bluedot
Thanks for your comments she is a challenge to build at times and I hope you get the chance to build her down under
regards
AndyCool

arpurchase
#440 Posted : 09 April 2013 10:33:00

BigGrin Hi Yaturo
Thank you for your swift reply, it would seem that both colour blast bags were used at some stage of the Yamato's life on the sea's, perhaps it was a case of using what ever blast bags were available in the naval stores. I agree I may have painted the blast bags a little too dark and maybe they could be a lighter brown.
As for the picture I agree about the lighter colours but still think this is a debate that could go on forever as you know there is little cast iron information about the Yamato
regards
AndyCool