Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Airfix 1/72 De Havilland Vampire T.11 Options
kpnuts
#1 Posted : 03 June 2018 20:08:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi all well im totally useless at planes. I seem to be able to to a half decent job of most other genre's motorcycles are my best genre but then ive always ridden them, in my early years real dogs and as i got older more pristine so I know how all ages look,but planes are my achillies heal. Well i love the look of this plane (always have)so ive decided to try it. I was going to do a custom job (to hide my rubbishness) but decided i will stick to how it should look.
Im going to build it as WZ590 No 5 flying training school, Oakington, Cambridgeshire, march 1992
I really like a lot of planes and it really irks me i cant build them so Ive decided Im going to make a concerted effort to improve, so much so that Im going to try Airfix 1/24 Typhoon after this.
No pictures tonight as we have no phone or internet and no indication of when or if we will get it back anytime soon( joys of living in the willie wags)
Ken's the name modeling's the game.
kpnuts
#2 Posted : 07 June 2018 19:00:00

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi all well not to change the habit of a lifetime, all was going well, masking the front bit of the plane looked a bit tricky so I masked that bit first sprayed it, it looked ok so I masked the rest which meant masking the bit I'd just done sprayed it all looked ok then I pulled the masking tape off with a lot of the paint from the front and what's left of the paint on the front bit is mottled from wherever the masking tape touched it.

Ken's the name modeling's the game.
Plymouth57
#3 Posted : 07 June 2018 20:50:42

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Never mind Ken! Been there and done that before! If you can't strip the nose paint off just use a bit of very fine wet and dry to rub off the edges of the lifted paint and go again.
Incidentally, I've found that day-glo orange isn't the most opaque of paints, I'd recommend a matt white base layer (just a basic white aerosol primer is fine)before re-painting it.
You're doing great though - my first airfix planes were whatever colour the plastic was!Blushing

Robin.
First wooden ship: The Grimsby 12 Gun 'Frigate' by Constructo Second: Bounty DelPrado Part Works Third: HMS Victory DelPrado Part Works 1/100 scale
Diorama of the Battle of the Brandywine from the American Revolutionary War Diorama of the Battle of New Falkland (unfinished sci-fi), Great War Centenary Diorama of the Messines Ridge Assault
Index for the Victory diary is on page 1