Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

9 Pages «<56789>
Martyn's Vasa bash Options
Martyn Ingram
#121 Posted : 22 August 2019 17:24:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

BigGrin Looking forward to it MickCool
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
tigerace
#122 Posted : 22 August 2019 17:27:11

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Stunning work MartynDrool Drool regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

nightwisher
#123 Posted : 23 August 2019 20:07:12

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Absolutely beautiful ,all those bright colours shouldn't work together but somehow they doLove
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
Martyn Ingram
#124 Posted : 24 August 2019 16:29:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

tigerace wrote:
Stunning work MartynDrool Drool regards PhilCool

BigGrin Cheers Phil Cool I'm loving this build Love
Martyn
Building ?
Completed. Soliei Royal . Sovereign of the Seas . Virginia . Scotland . San Felipe . Corel vasa , Santisima Trinadad X section , Vasa
Next Build ?
When sailors have good wine, They think themselves in heaven for the time. John Baltharpe
Martyn Ingram
#125 Posted : 24 August 2019 16:35:34

nightwisher wrote:
Absolutely beautiful ,all those bright colours shouldn't work together but somehow they doLove

Thanks for the comments nightwisher Cool the colours are totally bonkers and at a distance the red and yellow on the roof looks pinky/ orange Confused a bit strange but she must have looked stunning in real life Cool
Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
Martyn Ingram
#126 Posted : 30 August 2019 14:29:09

BigGrin Hi all Cool
A bit more done on the Vasa Cool
The ratlines on the lower shrouds have been completed and the upper ones started with one side finished and the other side half done. To break up the tying of the ratlines I have removed the pinrails and drilled the rails to take the belay pins as per the real ship. I also noticed that the beakhead was missing the two dolphins so used some of the left over ply from the carriers of the bulkheads to make them, see I never throw anything away lol Cool . Looking at the rake of the shrouds on the main mast I am planning to fit the main yard as it will be a bit difficult to rigg with them in the way but that's a way ahead yet Cool
Cheers for following
Martyn
Martyn Ingram attached the following image(s):
IMGP0023.JPG
IMGP0022.JPG
IMGP0021.JPG
IMGP0020.JPG
IMGP0019.JPG
IMGP0015.JPG
IMGP0009.JPG
Building ?
Next Build ?
Gandale
#127 Posted : 30 August 2019 22:16:37

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking fab Martyn, doing a great job with those ratlines.... A long job but the effort is so worthwhile.....Drool Drool Drool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#128 Posted : 31 August 2019 09:23:48

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Nice work Martyn, looking a stunning build. I have a box of all spare bits, just in case I might need something one day.BigGrin

Mark
Martyn Ingram
#129 Posted : 11 September 2019 14:19:28

BigGrin thanks for the feedback guys Cool
The main yard has been fitted as their would not be a lot of room to rigg it with the shrouds in the way. I have made two more rams head blocks as the first two where a bit big and out of scale.
The halyard rope was passed through the top of the block then up through the sleeves on the main mast and tied to the main yard. The block was then rigged to the knightshead . The parrels where then made up and fitted to the yard .
The shrouds where fitted with the dead eyes and tied in pairs as per the real ship . Looking at the Vasa 1 book I noticed a strange looking block just above the mizzenmast chainwhales. This turns out to be a fixed block that controls the sheets of the bottom of the mainsail. Most ships in the 16 hundreds had a loose block that would hit the side of the hull by fitting a captive block this stops this happening ,very clever so I made some up out of some spare stock wood.I have also changed the look of the blocks supplied as they look to square so I have filled the edges to give them a more rounded shape .
I have started putting on the ratlines and have discovered that I haven't got enough dark brown thread to complete them and was just wondering if I am missing a roll of brown thread as I only got one ? . So I think I will have to order more Blink
Thanks for following
Martyn
IMGP0043.JPG
IMGP0027.JPG
IMGP0030.JPG
IMGP0041.JPG
IMGP0034.JPG
IMGP0046.JPG
Building ?
Next Build ?
tigerace
#130 Posted : 11 September 2019 16:39:10

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Excellent build so far MartynBigGrin you have some great skillsDrool Drool ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp regards PhilCool
COMING SOON =1/72 Italeri diorama`s Battle for the Reichstag and Stalingrad battle at the tractor factory 1/16 Trumpeter King Tiger with loads of extras ON THE GO= refurbishment of 1/25 Tamiya tiger 1 , amt Star trek kits and space 1999 models

So Much to Build,But What a Hobby!

Markwarren
#131 Posted : 11 September 2019 20:32:45

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Very nice work Martyn.Love Love Drool Drool

Mark
arpurchase
#132 Posted : 12 September 2019 12:35:23

BigGrin All looking good and nice work Martin Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

nightwisher
#133 Posted : 12 September 2019 22:56:04

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

More amazing work Martyn, I really like the idea of rounding the corners of the blocks much more realistic. I also like to stain mine a darker shade to make them look older Cool
Man he took his time in the sun
Had a dream to understand
A single grain of sand
He gave birth to poetry
But one day will cease to be
Greet the last light of the library...We were here!
Gandale
#134 Posted : 12 September 2019 23:02:19

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Looking good Martyn, lovely work..... Can confirm you only receive one roll of brown thread, issued in Pack 1.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Martyn Ingram
#135 Posted : 13 September 2019 07:24:31

Confused Thanks Alan . I thought it was only one . The only trouble is there not enough to do all the ratlines which is a bit strange. Might have to have a word with CS to see if they can send me some Confused
Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
Martyn Ingram
#136 Posted : 13 September 2019 09:54:50

Blushing It now seems I have used the wrong thread for the ratlines Blushing Blink Blushing my fault. The thread was mistakenly marked as .5 but was .25 in stage 2 . Hayho I will order some more silly me BigGrin . I must admit the thinner stuff looks better BigGrin .
Martyn
Building ?
Next Build ?
Martyn Ingram
#137 Posted : 22 September 2019 14:37:49

BigGrin Hi all Cool
Still going with the ratlines but to brake them up I thought I would paint some more carvings and scratch build a lantern for the stern Cool . The Vasa museum haven't found the lantern but they still have a lot of artefacts to go through and I am pretty sure she would of had one as bobbin about the middle of the Baltic at night with no light was just looking for someone to crash into you Confused . As their are no pictures of the lantern I let my imagination take over but keeping with the look of the ship Cool so it's a bit over the top. The lantern was made with some spare wood and glazed with some thin plastic from a manicure file set I had lying about. The carvings of the lion heads came from leftover carvings from the Corel Vasa and I copied the top finial from the galleries Cool . I also made a copper oil lamp out of some dowl for the inside Cool
Thanks for following Cool
Martyn
IMGP0053.JPG
IMGP0052.JPG
IMGP0056.JPG
IMGP0054.JPG
IMGP0059.JPG
IMGP0057.JPG
Building ?
Next Build ?
mogwai
#138 Posted : 22 September 2019 15:38:59

Active Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsCompetition Winner of Model Builds: Competition Winner of Model BuildsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Hi looking good and coming along well,like the lamp ,suits the decoration on the rest of the ship,cheers mick.BigGrin
Builds hms victory, suzuki gsx 1300 R hayabusa, honda C B 750, lamborghini countach L P 500 S, tamiya 1/16 rc full option tiger 1 tank,
built, Mclaren M P 4 - 23. Occre london tram,
Stash.airfix 1/24 mosquito. Diag Virginia schooner, tamiya 1/6 honda 750, tamiya 1/35 famo, tamiya 1/35 flak 88.
Markwarren
#139 Posted : 22 September 2019 18:27:05

Beautiful work Martyn, some great modelling skills.Love Drool

Mark
arpurchase
#140 Posted : 22 September 2019 18:28:57

BigGrin Looks good to me Martin and nice workCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .