Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages 12>
New modeler build Options
nichenson
#1 Posted : 11 June 2018 03:52:47

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

I will post some pics later this coming week. I am new to ship modeling although I have done plastic models for quite a long time. This has been really enjoyable for the most part. Anyway, I am almost through Pack 2 and have received Pack 3 with 4 coming at the end of this month. I will be posting pics up to Pack 3 as I probably won't be getting to that pack until I get back from vacation in July. Only minor issues with the kit so far and those are expected from working with wood.
Tomick
#2 Posted : 11 June 2018 07:21:07

Groups:

Welcome to ModelSpace, hope you enjoy your time with us and your Constitution build, look forward to seeing your progress Cool
magpie1832
#3 Posted : 11 June 2018 07:29:02

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to Modelspace. Look forward to seeing your build.

Chris
On the bench

1/350 Revell Tirpitz Platinum Edition (Pontos PE and Wooden deck) plus extra Eduard PE set and extra MK1 door sets.

arpurchase
#4 Posted : 11 June 2018 08:01:52

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Welcome to the forum and enjoy your stay with usCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#5 Posted : 11 June 2018 08:54:31

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Welcome aboard, great to have you with us..... Look forward to seeing some of your work....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Markwarren
#6 Posted : 11 June 2018 09:34:53

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

BigGrin Welcome to the forum. I look forward to seeing some of you work soon. We are always here to help.BigGrin

Mark
delboy271155
#7 Posted : 11 June 2018 11:08:48

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Welcome to the forum. BigGrin

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

nichenson
#8 Posted : 14 June 2018 16:45:38

Took some quick pics as I put the stain on the upper deck last night. I went with an antique walnut as the real ship didn't have a very dark deck. I also didn't bother adding the nailheads as I did on the lower deck as they disappear in the stain. The "caulking" in between the boards was added per the instructions, but it somewhat disappears until the stain is added.

I did deviate from the instructions a little as I had some warpage on the plywood pieces. If you build as per the instructions you run the risk of gluing a curve in your hull if you have any warping. I also added all of the upper decking planks at the same time as some of the basswood stripes are a little narrow which can lead to issues later on when moving toward the stern.

Anyway, I have a busy next week and after that, I am on vacation. I will be jumping back in during early July as pack 4 is on its way to me now. I again am going to deviate a little from the instructions as nothing will be added on the upper deck until the entire hull is completed in pack 7. I also plan to add copper cladding.
nichenson attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Markwarren
#9 Posted : 14 June 2018 17:07:39

Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

That is some very nice work, coming on great.ThumpUp

Mark
delboy271155
#10 Posted : 14 June 2018 17:17:03

Groups: Registered, Forum Support Team, Administrators, Global Forum Support Team, Moderator, Official Builds

Looks like your off to a great start.

Cool Cool Cool

Congrats on your "Blue" medal for starting a build diary.BigGrin

Regards
delboy271155
(Derek)
COME BACK GUY FAWKES "YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU"

arpurchase
#11 Posted : 14 June 2018 17:27:04

BigGrin Looking very nice and the decks look goodCool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Spal
#12 Posted : 14 June 2018 18:53:13

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Welcome to the forum BigGrin she's coming along well, nice job so far.

Al
Gandale
#13 Posted : 14 June 2018 22:41:47

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Very nice work, great to see your progress....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Tomick
#14 Posted : 15 June 2018 09:23:42

Groups:

Nice work, well done Cool
nichenson
#15 Posted : 16 June 2018 03:04:22

Thank you everyone for the nice support and comments. I do have some progress pics. I managed to get the starboard side precut "planking." This is such a great idea compared to others I have seen. My only complaint though is that the radius at the front is too great for the narrowed area between the opening for the cannon and the bowsprit. Both sides of mine snapped. It is ok as I basically glued it all back together and used nails to hold the curve that were driven into the plywood for the deck. Anyway, I am hoping that since this didn't take as long as I thought, that I can get the other side at least done before we leave for vacation.

BTW, for anyone reading this, micromark sells some really nice sanding blocks designed for ship building. These worked great making the hull ready for planks. I used the wide one over the main portion and the small one at the front and stern portions.
6.jpg
7.jpg
Markwarren
#16 Posted : 16 June 2018 07:22:35

Some very nice work, you are certainly cracking on with this.Love

Mark
Markwarren
#17 Posted : 16 June 2018 07:22:54

Some very nice work, you are certainly cracking on with this.Love

Mark
nichenson
#18 Posted : 09 July 2018 23:41:32

Bit of an update as I have had some free time to get a few things done. Both sides are now on. As you can see though, I had a bit of some trouble. The front pieces snapped in the same spot on both sides. This is due to those pieces being essentially plywood. Other than that, not too many issues. Will start planking the lower hull either tomorrow or Wednesday. Also, anyone want to show me how you nail that last photo in? lol
1.jpg
2.jpg
6.jpg
5.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
arpurchase
#19 Posted : 10 July 2018 07:22:15

BigGrin Looking good and nice work. As for the bow ply pieces pre-shaping them helps a lot you could have used a couple of methods by either using an electric plank bender to pre curve the ply or the other method would have been to soak the ply in water and then using a suitable curve like a large paint pot or bucket and fixing it in place with elastic bands or tape to hold it overnight.Cool

Gandale
#20 Posted : 10 July 2018 09:09:08

Making very nice progress, all looking good.....Cool Cool

Regards

Alan