Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

2 Pages <12
New modeler build Options
nichenson
#21 Posted : 10 July 2018 15:11:51

Build-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of Honour
Groups: Registered

arpurchase wrote:
BigGrin Looking good and nice work. As for the bow ply pieces pre-shaping them helps a lot you could have used a couple of methods by either using an electric plank bender to pre curve the ply or the other method would have been to soak the ply in water and then using a suitable curve like a large paint pot or bucket and fixing it in place with elastic bands or tape to hold it overnight.Cool

I used both a nice expensive plank bender as well as soaking it in water for quite some time. It was essentially the outside layer that snapped as the curve is perpendicular with the grain. Quite possibly if the grain had been the other direction it would have faired just fine as the middle layers did not fracture. That section is the weakest point in such a large curve.

It is just fine though as I will be adjusting the curve by sanding and using some filler behind the bulkwark strips.
nichenson
#22 Posted : 13 July 2018 04:34:48

Work continues. As I had said before, I am deviating from the instructions as I am finishing the hull before I do anything on the deck and above. With that being said, everything outside of the grates and ladders is done up to about halfway through pack 4 now. The planking is very easy on this ship. I did use the manual plank bender thing that looks like a set of pliers on some of the front pieces. I also managed to get a couple of planks out of order. On one side you can see I have several rows starting at bulkhead #5, but this is ok. I noticed it early and made sure everything looks good and even. With that being said, once I get through all the planks I will make a little spreadsheet for those that want to build this kit so that doing the hull will be a bit easier than following the instructions. I do like the pictures and descriptions, but I am finding that you really have to pay attention to the sequence as on some pages it jumps around. Regardless, I am having a blast with this build. Pack 5 won't be here until the end of the month though. What you see here is the first ten rows completed. This took about three to four hours over two days. Having a good glue is imperative. I use gorilla glue for wood. I also am using a 2oz hammer to drive in the nails and holding them a set of angled tweezers as I start.
nichenson attached the following image(s):
9.jpg
8.jpg
Markwarren
#23 Posted : 13 July 2018 07:17:19

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered, Administrators, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Forum Support Team, Official Builds

Excellent work, she’s coming together very nicely.ThumpUp

Mark
arpurchase
#24 Posted : 13 July 2018 08:13:56

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

BigGrin Looking good and nice work. With Pack 5 take a look at how the stern frames are fitted in the official build as this may help you in fitting yours.Cool
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

Gandale
#25 Posted : 13 July 2018 09:24:26

Groups: Registered, Global Forum Support, Moderator, Official Builds, Administrators

Progressing very nicely, all looking good...Cool Cool

Regards

Alan
Tomick
#26 Posted : 13 July 2018 14:08:02

Groups:

Thanks for sharing your build, looking good Cool
pemberg
#27 Posted : 13 July 2018 21:23:33

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal

Good to hear you are enjoying your build, it's certainly looking good.

Graeme
greg
#28 Posted : 30 October 2018 01:08:10

I watched a build where the builder used a small travel iron, with steam setting

seemed workable to me
NOW - Building SWIFT 1805

long term goal "USS Constitution"
completed "Fair a Frame" by Model Shipways

nichenson
#29 Posted : 30 October 2018 02:57:25

greg wrote:
I watched a build where the builder used a small travel iron, with steam setting

seemed workable to me

Probably would. What I did will work for now. Part of model building. Anyway, I will get back to the build and post more after I get the hobby room remodel done.
greg
#30 Posted : 07 December 2018 19:18:18

nudge nudge

hope all is well with the holiday seasons
NOW - Building SWIFT 1805

long term goal "USS Constitution"
completed "Fair a Frame" by Model Shipways

nichenson
#31 Posted : 07 December 2018 21:54:45

All is good, just still have a couple weeks left with the remodeling. Lots else going on too as I am having to build a nursery as well.