Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

Best books about Vasa? Options
Per Ca
#1 Posted : 14 June 2018 20:55:58

Groups: Registered

Which book do you think is the best about Vasa (from a builder’s point of view, mainly)?
I have collected some books, partly to get tips and info for the build of a model, but also because a general interest in technology. So here are my favourites, but is there more?
My oldest Vasa book is (of course) “Regalskeppet Vasan” (The Vasa) by Björn Landström. Published in 1980, it is not the most accurate but still the illustrations are fantastic.
I have two books by Hans Soop, “The Power and The Glory” and “Skulpturer” (Sculptures). Hans Soop worked together with Fred Hocker, and had just sculptures as his main interest. If you have questions about sculptures, these are THE books, even if they are quite old.
Another great book is “I lejonets tid” (Glorious Vasa). In the video about sculpting a lion’s head, you can see that the artist uses a picture from this book, as well as one from “Skulpturer” above.
This year the new book “Vasa – ett svenskt krigsskepp” by Fred Hocker was published, also in English “Vasa – a Swedish warship”. Wonderful illustrations.
My latest “catch” is a used copy of “Vasa I”, the book by Carl Olov Cederlund, with participation of Fred Hocker who is the more well-known I think. The book is from 2006, and although things have happened since then it is still fascinating. Can’t wait for Vasa II. I bought this very heavy volume in mint condition for SEK 500 (approx.. €50 or £43).
Still to be found: A book dealing with the colours. I have understood that the colours on the 1:10 model are not to be trusted. So, any tips? Or maybe “Vasa II” will have the latest information?
PC
Tomick
#2 Posted : 14 June 2018 21:59:13

Groups:

already on the forum if you care to look...
http://forum.model-space...spx?g=posts&t=26597
Per Ca
#3 Posted : 27 August 2018 12:24:01

Groups: Registered

Well, not much respons. But I will give this hint about a book that is a little different:
The book is called "Vasa - historien om ett skepp" (Vasa - the history about a ship), published 2011 to celebrate the recovery of Vasa. It is not a book of many pages, just 64 (although thick), and the size is approx. 30x30 cm.
What makes it different is 1) it has a 25 min DVD, PAL and NTCS); 2) faksimil first map of the central area of Stockholm 1626; 3) insert in page: faksimil letters from the king with Hybertson's contract; 4) insert in page: faksimile crew list of Swedish navy ships; 5) folded provisions list for Swedish navy ships; 6) insert in page: faksimile sea chart of the harbour area of the accident; 7) faksimile of letter to the Customs from Anders Franzén about the discovery of Vasa; 8) faksimil of placard from the newspaper Expressen about the salvage; 9)insert in page: folded drawing of the ship based on what was known 1957; 10) four faksimile notations of findings aboard the ship. The pages with inserts are double.
Originally a entrance ticket to the Vasa Museum was also included.

Maybe not the best book about Vasa, but certainly very entertaining. I bought this used book in good condition for approx £20.

With this I end my book comments. I don't agree that my entries are equal with the one about the Landström book, and I did not want to intrude on that entry.