Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Log In | Register

wheels - screws work lose and come out Options
figuerres
#1 Posted : 10 July 2018 14:05:12

Groups: Registered

this has been very frustrating, the way the wheels and brakes are attached with the very small screws leads to the wheel coming off and needing to be re done.

the kit should imho have used a larger and longer screw and a washer and some lock-tite to secure the screw threads into the shaft and the washer would help to keep the wheel from binding to the screw head which can lead to having the screw coming out.

i have re-mounted at least 2 or three wheels so far and have to do one now.
thing is i am wondering if it's one i did before and if so did the locktite fail me due to the short screw and no washer.

most of the rest of the kit has been well made but that one area seems prone to issues if the car is moved on the wheels a few times. i am not going around playing with it, just the few moves to work on finishing the kit.

and the wheels fall off....
arpurchase
#2 Posted : 10 July 2018 16:32:51

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsTurquoise Medal: Turquoise Medal for model making know-how contributionOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Registered

Hi, having built the Mustang I have not come across this either on my own build or had reports of it apart from yourself.

The instructions do say when fitting the screw for the first time to tighten it gently and slowly until the screw is tight but still allows the wheel to turn. If the screw is tightened up too much so that it prevents the wheel turning then loosened off a half turn so any movement will eventually cause the screw to come undone.

Rolling the chassis backwards and forwards should also be kept to a minimum the better way is to lift it into position rather than roll it this will stop the screws coming loose.

Andy
Current builds:-C57,Zero, Lamborghini Countach, Caldercraft HMS Agamemnon,Robi,R2-D2, MFH Cobra .

roymattblack
#3 Posted : 10 July 2018 16:37:47

Publisher Medal: Featured Build of the MonthActive Service Medal: 500 post active service MedalPurple Medal: Super active service medal for 1000 postsOutstanding Build: An award for an outstanding buildBuild-Diary Medal: Build-Diary Medal of HonourRed Medal: Red Medal
Groups: Official Builds, Administrators, Moderator, Global Forum Support, Registered

I have to admit I didn't have any issues here either.

If the screws have come loose - for whatever reason - could it be that putting them back several times maybe, the thread is now stripped in the hub?

A 'fix' could be to remove the wheel, put a tiny amount of epoxy glue in the screw hole and then put the screw back without the wheel.
Put some WD40 on the screw first.

When the epoxy is set, take the screw out and re-fit the wheel.

Either that, or see if you can find a marginally bigger screw to get a better 'bite' in the hub.

Roy.